Home

How do people feel about the lack of "Good" releases?

This is a discussion on How do people feel about the lack of "Good" releases? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Rookie

ifeanyi18's Arena

OVR: 0
How do people feel about the lack of "Good" releases?

I love the gameplay overall but as someone who prefers to play without the shot meter I feel like I'm almost forced to use it now because of the lack of good releases. Previously I could just practice releases and then know I'm getting their release correct with the good release feedback. Now, without good release/slightly early or late etc, I don't know if my shot is way off. Its annoying because feels like everything is based off just trying to get unrealistic auto-make green releases now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Rookie

FrequencyVibrations's Arena

Re: How do people feel about the lack of "Good" releases?

You're absolutely right. Shooting is broken right now because the game is being catered for casuals. either early or late releases. barely green
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

I feel like the green release timing has been tuned for offline play. I'm having a much more difficult time timing releases on all-star difficulty.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I agree with OP. I remember back in the days when you could pick up the game and play and their was no meter. You had to develop a "feel" and shoot in rythym. Nowadays it is nearly almost impossible to shoot in rythym because most of the players make no effort to get their feet set on the catch and shoot. This causes a delay from when you hit the shooting button to when the animation actually releases.

And tbh it's seems like take2 seems to think that all but a few NBA players have terrible shooting mechanics. It feels like every player except for a few in the game have ridiculously exaggerated and hitchy shooting motions. Do these players exist? Absolutely, but I would also argue that half the league actually has pretty smoothie and fundamentally sound shooting mechanics.

They clearly want to move this game into a realm where you have to master one particular shot animation to get a good release everytime (think 2k league, myplayer) but honestly that's not fun for me. They seem to think watching a meter is more fun then watching the actual action on the court for some reason.

On the bright side I do notice that if your wide open slightly late or early shots do have a chance to go in as it should be. So it doesn't hurt gameplay to bad.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Rookie

Bulletproof86's Arena

I have no problem with the shooting. It is what it is...sometimes very good, sometimes ok, sometimes bad (bad shot selection, not the release) like in real life.
I focus on the player animation and not the jumpmeter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

I hate meters. This is a great example of over thinking it. On the surface I guess you can make an argument that a meter caters to casual gamers.

But in reality forcing your casual base to concentrate on what is essentially a mini game trying to hit some kind of magical green light ends up distracting gamers from what would otherwise create a nice natural flow within the game. That natural flow is something that would far better sell a casual gamer on the game of basketball.

Its nothing more than distracting garbage cluttering up the screen.

The Golf Club Published Courses
The OsoV2
Big Leaf of South Texas
Mt. Turner - Island Links
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Rookie

Y'all making far too much out of the meter and green realeses, they where just under the hood elements brought out with visualizations, they don't change anything imo

Check out my gaming pages (basically rec highlights)

https://www.tiktok.com/@ghostdenidag...Iqia5BLDy&_r=1

https://youtube.com/@Ghostdenidagawd

6'9 3-level scorer 2k23
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostf4cekhila1234
Y'all making far too much out of the meter and green realeses, they where just under the hood elements brought out with visualizations, they don't change anything imo
This. Timing the meter is the same as timing the shooting animation itself, with the exception that you can actually tell where the sweet spot is at first glance.

I still wish release timing would just cease to be a factor until they can incorporate the other aspects of shooting into the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »