Home

Kickin' it old skool...

This is a discussion on Kickin' it old skool... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Kickin' it old skool...

I know this is the forum for PS4 and XB1, but I'm curious if anybody is still playing NHL 15/Legacy online on the 360 or PS3? I've played NHL 15-19 on the current hardware and it's still nowhere near the fun I experienced with the older systems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Kickin' it old skool...

I'm still evaluating..

After strongly resisting buying a used PS4 just for NHL 19, I relented and bought a system and the game..

Honestly - so far I'm just not having much fun - or at least not as much as I did on Legacy PS3.

I'm trying to stick with it and give it a fair shake as I do recognize that I was *very* familiar with how to play last gen after so many years and perhaps I just need more time with current gen.

Curious to hear from others in a similar boat..
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
Rookie

coopsta007's Arena

OVR: 6

I purchased NHL 17 on PS4 and did not have much fun with the game. The older versions of CHEL are more fun IMO, and honestly, it pains me that EA Sports still hasn't added custom music on next gen consoles yet. MLB The Show has had custom music for years and this feature is a game changer.

Yesterday, I popped in NHL 14 on my PS3 for fun and enjoyed playing it WAY MORE than any of the NHL titles I have for PS4. This includes this year's NHL 19 demo that I spent a fair amount of time playing.

For now, I will also be kicking it old school, and may have to check out NHL 15 legacy if Gamestop has it used for a decent price.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopsta007
I purchased NHL 17 on PS4 and did not have much fun with the game. The older versions of CHEL are more fun IMO, and honestly, it pains me that EA Sports still hasn't added custom music on next gen consoles yet. MLB The Show has had custom music for years and this feature is a game changer.

Yesterday, I popped in NHL 14 on my PS3 for fun and enjoyed playing it WAY MORE than any of the NHL titles I have for PS4. This includes this year's NHL 19 demo that I spent a fair amount of time playing.

For now, I will also be kicking it old school, and may have to check out NHL 15 legacy if Gamestop has it used for a decent price.
Great points about the Custom Music...
It's amazing how much I miss that at each face-off - that and goal horns..

Maybe the newer games are more realistic (I don't really know), but I just seem to be having more "fun" on last-gen gameplay.

I'm still trying on NHL 19 though (since I sunk the money anyhow..)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
Rookie

I tried the current NHL 19 game on the PS4 and made it about a week or two before I couldn't take it any more. Last year it was maybe a month or two. The "scripted" feeling in this game is ridiculous and has been since they started making the game on current generation systems.

I bought a used copy from Gamestop yesterday to try it again on the new patch. I played about 4 full games and numerous partial games and some Threes and returned it today for a full refund. All of this was after having a blast playing the Beta version of the game.

In comparison, I owned every year of the series from 08-Legacy(16) on either the PS3 or 360, and every version of that game survived in my collection until I got the next version the year after. That has not been the case on PS4 or XB1

RIP EA NHL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

Yea, go back and play any old PS2/XBOX sports game, from any sport, in singleplayer mode. It will almost undoubtedly feel amazing compared to what we have now. Developers see how much money they can make in gimmick multiplayer modes, so they barely touch the single player aspect, don't go back and fix any legacy issues, etc.

The only two franchises I will give props to are MLB, and to a somewhat lesser extent, FIFA. FIFA actually finally went back and fixed a few ancient issues that made the gameplay really bad, and it feels great now, almost like a new game. I'm surprised the game is made by EA, that's how polished it feels (still lacking depth in the singleplayer modes themselves though). MLB though, wow. That franchise has had me hooked since '15, and I barely even like the sport of baseball. I'll watch the Giants or Indians if they make it to the postseason, but that's about it. I've said it before, I'll say it again: even if you are not into baseball, you can really feel the love of the sport put into that game. Can't say that about any other sports franchise at the moment.
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Cleveland Indians
San Francisco Giants
San Antonio Spurs
Crystal Palace
Schalke 04
Old 10-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
MVP

Another week in and still not enjoying myself on 19

I’m honestly afraid to fire up Legacy on the PS3 as I fear it will confirm that I was a dope and wasted $60 on 2019

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »