Home

Just wrestle

This is a discussion on Just wrestle within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Just wrestle

As DC said to Ben the other day. “Just wrestle”. This was his advice to Ben, reminding him to stay true to his guns, and stay dedicated to his wrestling.

Doing this in EA UFC 3 would immediately and irreparably destroy your stamina, and lead to a large, fat, malodorous L.

Some unexpected, yet in my opinion CRUCIAL steps to fixing this, are as follows:

GCs and Devs, and other humans with “sway”... CHANGE YOUR STANCE ON RASSLIN.

Specifically:

Lay n Pray must be a possible strategy. I’M NOT SAYING IT SHOULD BE A DOMINANT STRATEGY, OR THAT ITS A FUN STRATEGY. But it MUST be made POSSIBLE, because IN DOING SO, it indirectly ESTABLISHES A SET OF FUNDAMENTALS that a well-made MMA game MUST HAVE.

All wrestling aspects of an MMA game must be built upon the fundamental TRUTH that LAY N PRAY IS 100% POSSIBLE. This is the PILLAR by which grappling in an MMA game must be built upon.

Alhobert, you’re a great guy. Couldn’t have picked a better Game Changer, and I love that you stand up for the offline gamers (the playerbase majority). You’re probably the most important GC. Being said, you hate top control. You’ve been vocally adamant that “players don’t want to be laid on the entire game”. This philosophy is poison. “Devs don’t want LnP to be a viable strategy” is another statement you’ve made, and it’s true. They don’t. Again, this is poisonous to the evolution of Digital MMA Wrestling.

There’s this idea, set in stone, that casual players prefer striking over wrestling. And they prefer an active ground game over an inactive one. Whereas I propose the following: THEY DON’T ACTUALLY CARE AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DO! They will EMBRACE the grind, if given the opportunity. Ben Askren was expected to be a total hated bum, if he ever signed with UFC. Guess what. Casuals already love him. Maybe that’s an irrelevant point, but I said it anyways.

Over and out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Just wrestle

I, for one, am happy with lay and pray not being a feasible strategy.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Pro

I wouldn't call control and lay and pray synonymous. For me at least lay and pray is a strategy where you try to stall the action and win rounds purely based on maintaining top position. Controlling your opponent while actively hitting them (Chael Sonnen, GSP) or advancing position (Askren) don't count as lay and pray IMO.

I don't have an issue if a guy can sit in someone's guard all day while beating him up as long as it isn't too easy, but being able to just lay in a closed guard, block transitions and win rounds is a terrible idea.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
As DC said to Ben the other day. “Just wrestle”. This was his advice to Ben, reminding him to stay true to his guns, and stay dedicated to his wrestling.

Doing this in EA UFC 3 would immediately and irreparably destroy your stamina, and lead to a large, fat, malodorous L.

Some unexpected, yet in my opinion CRUCIAL steps to fixing this, are as follows:

GCs and Devs, and other humans with “sway”... CHANGE YOUR STANCE ON RASSLIN.

Specifically:

Lay n Pray must be a possible strategy. I’M NOT SAYING IT SHOULD BE A DOMINANT STRATEGY, OR THAT ITS A FUN STRATEGY. But it MUST be made POSSIBLE, because IN DOING SO, it indirectly ESTABLISHES A SET OF FUNDAMENTALS that a well-made MMA game MUST HAVE.

All wrestling aspects of an MMA game must be built upon the fundamental TRUTH that LAY N PRAY IS 100% POSSIBLE. This is the PILLAR by which grappling in an MMA game must be built upon.

Alhobert, you’re a great guy. Couldn’t have picked a better Game Changer, and I love that you stand up for the offline gamers (the playerbase majority). You’re probably the most important GC. Being said, you hate top control. You’ve been vocally adamant that “players don’t want to be laid on the entire game”. This philosophy is poison. “Devs don’t want LnP to be a viable strategy” is another statement you’ve made, and it’s true. They don’t. Again, this is poisonous to the evolution of Digital MMA Wrestling.

There’s this idea, set in stone, that casual players prefer striking over wrestling. And they prefer an active ground game over an inactive one. Whereas I propose the following: THEY DON’T ACTUALLY CARE AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DO! They will EMBRACE the grind, if given the opportunity. Ben Askren was expected to be a total hated bum, if he ever signed with UFC. Guess what. Casuals already love him. Maybe that’s an irrelevant point, but I said it anyways.

Over and out.
There are HUGE issues with grappling stamina vs striking stamina. If you time a single body straight under your opponents jab or hook you'll acquire a larger stamina advantage than you would if you smothered them for the entire round on top. This is so dumb, it's significantly easier to gas your opponent on the feet than if you were straight up mauling them with top control. Early takedown denials will destroy your stamina.

GPD made an attempt to change this in a tuner with the changes in denial stamina cost depending on position but didn't really follow up in the patch afterwards despite these changes having little effect. I hope to see more changes for grapple stamina in the next patch and that it hasn't been forgotten.

There also needs to be grappling 10-8 rounds if we are going to have a scoring system where damage is the only thing that matters, we need to be consistent here.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
MVP

You can definitely lay and pray if you’re good enough. Maybe you’ve started slacking off on your training, but you used to be able to as well. I think you know this but want the game to switch over to your favor entirely considering you have a disdain for striking.

The current amount of lnp is enough to resemble the real life counterpart, but casual enough not to piss everyone off.

You have no idea how wrong you are about people not caring.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
I wouldn't call control and lay and pray synonymous. For me at least lay and pray is a strategy where you try to stall the action and win rounds purely based on maintaining top position. Controlling your opponent while actively hitting them (Chael Sonnen, GSP) or advancing position (Askren) don't count as lay and pray IMO.

I don't have an issue if a guy can sit in someone's guard all day while beating him up as long as it isn't too easy, but being able to just lay in a closed guard, block transitions and win rounds is a terrible idea.
This.

Using this definition, lay and pray will likely never be viable in this game and most people will be happy with this.

Controlling and advancing is already possible in this game although it could be improved.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
You can definitely lay and pray if you’re good enough. Maybe you’ve started slacking off on your training, but you used to be able to as well. I think you know this but want the game to switch over to your favor entirely considering you have a disdain for striking.

The current amount of lnp is enough to resemble the real life counterpart, but casual enough not to piss everyone off.

You have no idea how wrong you are about people not caring.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Most people aren't aware that transition fakes extend the stand up timer and make it easier for you to pass and reset the stand up timer altogether.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

What UD3 had with their posturing system on the ground was the closest thing i've ever seen to LnP in an MMA game. It wasn't actual LnP, but it just gave you a way to maintain better control of opponents by allowing you to stay postured down after you broke the opponents posture control. The system also allowed you to quickly posture up and down fluidly, by holding the stick up to stay postured up and simply letting go of the stick to drop back down. If EA UFC could get something like this going on with their posturing system, using a LnP style would be much more possible than it is now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »