Home

Making the move from PS3 to PS4 (finally), need help picking a Madden version...

This is a discussion on Making the move from PS3 to PS4 (finally), need help picking a Madden version... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Making the move from PS3 to PS4 (finally), need help picking a Madden version...

I was at GameStop today and noticed Madden 25, Madden 15 & 16 were $5 or less. Which should I get?

Thank you for your time and response.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Making the move from PS3 to PS4 (finally), need help picking a Madden version...

Of those three, definitely M16. That iteration was very balanced gameplay-wise. M15 introduced a bunch of new defensive gameplay features like the defensive camera and tackling cone, and M16 did the same for the offense with different pass and catch types. Players also felt rooted in the ground, which I liked (as opposed to being "on skates").

However, the next three years added a lot to Franchise mode: practice squads (M17), full player editing (M17), in-game ticker (M17), off-ball injuries (M18), custom draft classes (M19), etc.. So, if that's the mode you know you'll be spending most of your time in, it might be worth considering the three most recent iterations.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 11-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

Re: Making the move from PS3 to PS4 (finally), need help picking a Madden version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
Of those three, definitely M16. That iteration was very balanced gameplay-wise. M15 introduced a bunch of new defensive gameplay features like the defensive camera and tackling cone, and M16 did the same for the offense with different pass and catch types. Players also felt rooted in the ground, which I liked (as opposed to being "on skates").

However, the next three years added a lot to Franchise mode: practice squads (M17), full player editing (M17), in-game ticker (M17), off-ball injuries (M18), custom draft classes (M19), etc.. So, if that's the mode you know you'll be spending most of your time in, it might be worth considering the three most recent iterations.
Thank you for your response. What are the drawbacks to 17, if any? I'm big on franchise, custom play books and read options (not cheese), in that order. The full player editing is huge, too.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
Thank you for your response. What are the drawbacks to 17, if any? I'm big on franchise, custom play books and read options (not cheese), in that order. The full player editing is huge, too.
The gameplay in M17 wasn't as refined as that of M16, in my opinion (not in a deal-breaking way, though). It's been awhile since I've played it, but if I recall correctly, CPU QB AI took a bit of a step back. Mobile QB's rarely scrambled for yards, even with lots of space to work with. This wasn't an issue in M16. Overall, M17 seemed to favor offense a bit more.

In M17's Franchise, the biggest issue I can recall is regression for physical stats (speed, acceleration, etc.) being overly severe once players hit age 29 or so.

I've never gotten too deep into custom playbooks, so I can't give you much feedback on that. I don't recall any significant differences with read option between the two games.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
The gameplay in M17 wasn't as refined as that of M16, in my opinion (not in a deal-breaking way, though). It's been awhile since I've played it, but if I recall correctly, CPU QB AI took a bit of a step back. Mobile QB's rarely scrambled for yards, even with lots of space to work with. This wasn't an issue in M16. Overall, M17 seemed to favor offense a bit more.

In M17's Franchise, the biggest issue I can recall is regression for physical stats (speed, acceleration, etc.) being overly severe once players hit age 29 or so.

I've never gotten too deep into custom playbooks, so I can't give you much feedback on that. I don't recall any significant differences with read option between the two games.
This is a very good assessment of these games. I'm a big fan of '16.I'm not sure how much '18 is at this point but if you don't want to spend $30 on '19 and need full player editing that would be a decent option.

The new version always drops to $12 or so in the Microsoft/Playstation stores the week after the Superbowl if you want to take advantage of that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Obviously I don't know what your cash situation is like. Honestly I would snag Madden 19 with the black Friday deals, you can grab it for $30. If you are mostly a solo franchise player like me, the addition of custom draft classes makes a big difference in the fun factor going deep in to a franchise.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

Quote:

Thank you!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

Quote:

Was there the same regression in 16?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »