Home

June draft and progression in franchise

This is a discussion on June draft and progression in franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
June draft and progression in franchise

First of all I'm not complaining - just asking for input. I've been playing the game long enough to know the answers probably if I had been playing close attention but unfortunately I don't.

I'm in the second season of my franchise. I sim nothing. I've played around 220 games all in manage mode. I decided to draft a catcher in the first round who I could develop. I hire the best scouts I can get. I had all 4 scouts going for catchers and I scouted 14 catchers out of 30 catchers in the pool. On draft day only 4 catchers were available to be drafted. Why did only 4 of 30 catchers declare for the draft? Do the others eventually appear in the draft or do they disappear?

Also my first round draft pick from the previous year - B potential SP - isn't progressing or regressing. I remember a bug years ago in which if you edited a player he wouldn't progress. I did edit this guy's uniform which is something I don't normally do. Did that cause him to stop progressing?

There is also an issue with players attributes not matching what the scouts are saying. For example I drafted 3 fully scouted players with 80 potential and none of them had A potential after I drafted them.

Again, not complaining about the show 18. It is the best baseball game in manage mode I've ever played. Just trying to figure out a couple things.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by tessl; 12-31-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: June draft and progression in franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
First of all I'm not complaining - just asking for input. I've been playing the game long enough to know the answers probably if I had been playing close attention but unfortunately I don't.

I'm in the second season of my franchise. I sim nothing. I've played around 220 games all in manage mode. I decided to draft a catcher in the first round who I could develop. I hire the best scouts I can get. I had all 4 scouts going for catchers and I scouted 14 catchers out of 30 catchers in the pool. On draft day only 4 catchers were available to be drafted. Why did only 4 of 30 catchers declare for the draft? Do the others eventually appear in the draft or do they disappear?

Also my first round draft pick from the previous year - B potential SP - isn't progressing or regressing. I remember a bug years ago in which if you edited a player he wouldn't progress. I did edit this guy's uniform which is something I don't normally do. Did that cause him to stop progressing?

There is also an issue with players attributes not matching what the scouts are saying. For example I drafted 3 fully scouted players with 80 potential and none of them had A potential after I drafted them.

Again, not complaining about the show 18. It is the best baseball game in manage mode I've ever played. Just trying to figure out a couple things.

Thanks for any replies.
From what I've noticed, some of the players that don't come out will be back the next year or even for a few years down the road. I once had a 2B who was a Blue Chip and didn't come out for 4 years. By the time he did he was 24 and I wasn't interested anymore.

I've also noticed that some of the big time guys are 80's instead of 90's in '18. While players do go up after they perform, they can still become A's, I have noticed that most Blue Chip guys pan out.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime98
From what I've noticed, some of the players that don't come out will be back the next year or even for a few years down the road. I once had a 2B who was a Blue Chip and didn't come out for 4 years. By the time he did he was 24 and I wasn't interested anymore.

I've also noticed that some of the big time guys are 80's instead of 90's in '18. While players do go up after they perform, they can still become A's, I have noticed that most Blue Chip guys pan out.
Not sure how much this has changed in the last few versions (I still play MLB15, since that is the last one on my beloved Vita), but this does drive me nuts. I spend all of that time scouting, and then a high number of players don't come out. I get the idea that a guy declines to sign, and that would be great (though we should get the chance to pay him enough to change his mind), but the number of guys who don't come out is way too high. The guys do come out a year or two later, generally, but their overall is exactly the same - shouldn't at least some of them progress if they go to college or play somewhere? Disappointing to know this seems to be the same from MLB15 to current.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I tend to draft guys that are more polished personally. I tend to draft guys that have 80 to 86 in potential but come out of the draft around 73 to 78 overall already. The benefit is they can help right away, and they can still progress to an A potential. Not to mention in last years show and 82 to 86 overall player is a borderline if not certified all star.

I then draft the high potential "projects" in the later rounds and stash them in the minors. This strategy tends to work for me
Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
What I notice is that the +/- numbers disappear after editing, but the players continue along with their development. So if a player was in decline, he'll continue his decline soon enough, even if you edit and the displayed ratings change goes away.

I haven't seen a player literally no longer progress after editing. Could be a bug I never got hit by, but that's my experience so far.

Quote:
Scout reports aren't exact even with full scouting. I've had the same thing happen - pick guys that supposedly are 70-80 and they come out 74 POT or something.

I wonder if it happens often the other way - take a late round guy that's a 50 and he's a 85 POT or something.

I wonder if this is a place where scout ability matters to improve the odds of his report being more accurate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:

Thanks for any replies.
I think the glitch was you can only edit players in May. Once you hit June you won't see anymore progression +/-

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I think you guys may be confused. In my opinion it wasn't glitches. When you edit players in franchise the +/- would dissapear from the display but the progression or regression that happened would still stick. Simulate to the very next month and the +/- would come back. What I miss were the emails telling you someone was hot and that their potential went up/down. They removed that last year.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Thanks for any replies.
I edit players all the time (real and drafted, with no consistency for when, and including both aesthetic things and actual attributes). It definitely does not stop them from progressing.

You mentioned you're still in your second year, which means your initial draftees haven't even had a full season yet. Little to no progression at that point is normal. Players often progress only a few points per year, even with elite potential.

An example: I drafted a 19-year-old SS who was a 54 overall with 90 potential. I edited him up to a 65. Now he's 22 years old, and he's a 72 overall. He may end up on my MLB roster in a couple years as a backup. I assume he'll be about a 76 natural overall, will get a bit of a morale boost for being in the majors, and play as about an 80.

At that point, he should start improving a bit more quickly until he reaches his potential.

(The same has proven true for guys I don't edit at all. I have years of draft classes and my full rosters saved in a spreadsheet, and progression is typically pretty slow.)

It seems progression in the minors is usually pretty slow unless a guy is just dominant, and many prospects come in as major projects, so they won't dominate.

My current MLB roster has a few examples of the dominant/quick progression types. Their potentials were about the same as that short stop (little lower), but their starting overall was much higher (low to mid 70s). They were good in the minors right away, they shot through the system, and now they're MLB stars.

That's really what you need to look for if you want quick progression. A guy with a decent potential rating and attributes close to big league caliber. Their hypothetical ceiling might be lower, but they're much more likely to reach it.

And yes, the players who don't enter the draft will be available in future drafts. I've never seen a guy disappear. They just get older (and, unfortunately, don't seem to get better). This is something that really should be fixed. The draft isn't remotely like the real draft, where every draft-eligible player is available and the decision to go pro or not comes after a team has picked you. Fully implementing that might be hard, so I can accept some differences, but I'd at least like to see every player available and the guys not picked just recycled back into the scouting pool. I've had some years where I don't even get to make my final pick because it runs out of players even though only a fraction of the guys I scouted were in the draft.

Also … players showing up in the scouting pool as teenagers and then not actually entering the draft until they're 25 needs to stop. Any halfway decent prospect will be drafted by the time he's 22 at the oldest. Anything older means he didn't go pro after high school, didn't leave his four-year school as a junior like most top prospects, didn't get drafted after his senior year either, and is still considered an MLB prospect. Just doesn't happen.

Last edited by moTIGS; 02-15-2019 at 05:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »