Home

Recruiting Frustration

This is a discussion on Recruiting Frustration within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Recruiting Frustration

Top two RBs in my recruiting class - #1 overall and #4 overall.

I'm the only one recruiting them. Absolutely ridiculous. But looking forward to having 3000+ yards rushing next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Recruiting Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30

I'm the only one recruiting them. Absolutely ridiculous. But looking forward to having 3000+ yards rushing next season.

Take all your points out of them for a while
Old 02-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Rookie

jgthedon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30

Reset your recruiting skill tree
Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgthedon
Reset your recruiting skill tree

I don't think that is the issue he's talking about. He is identifying the bug where some top prospects aren't recruiting by any computer teams during the season.

I had one dynasty year where the #3 prospect overall wasn't getting recruited. I began to recruit him after week 10 and he was an 81 Gem QB out of Oregon who was 6'7", 230 with 90+ speed, 90+ throw power and ~85 accuracy (Tyson Jackson?). He ended up winning back-to-back Heisman Trophies for me.

It was after that I began to read this forum for ideas. I think Silver Bullet talked about not recruiting players who don't have you listed in their school list. I changed that a bit and don't recruit them until week 12 as long as their team list wasn't full (10) and I had to make his list the next week to continue recruiting them. I've only had 3 or 4 who failed to list me after one week in three 30+ season dynasties.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

I use House Rules in those situations. If you're getting a freebie high-end recruit just pretend they're an academic risk, injury risk, or a possible discipline issue. Or combine all of the above. But come to some reason why other teams are staying away. If you do decide to go after some talent with issues there are a few things you can do to make it interesting.

Use their Awareness to determine academic eligibility after you sign them and do it each offseason (or each week). For example, if their awareness is 45 as a freshmen - there's a 55% chance they don't meet their eligibility requirements. Use a simple random system to determine length of probation.

You can do the same each week with awareness to see if they don't break team rules, have some sort of NCAA violations, or even criminal violations. Create a simple random system to see if it is a situation where they just don't start, miss a few games, miss the season, or even have to be released outright and go JUCO (I sometimes will use editing to bring guys back as a JUCO transfer a season or two later - I just make sure the JUCO would be similarly recruited e.g. similar overall).

With injuries I'll knock a bunch off their injury rating, like 20 or so, then give them a knee brace, neck roll, arm protector or something for visuals - and then each week use the injury rating as a random roll to see if they stay healthy. Again, random system to see for how long. I also knock another 5 off their injury rating permanently each time they're hurt (I actually do this with all my guys - and use the equipment as a visual cue for guys who are often 'banged up' or dealing with a chronic issue).

I also have played around with the 'bad apple' idea where one guy can come in and mess with the team's chemistry. Use a random system to see if anyone else is being negatively impacted - if they are that player goes into the 'system' of rolls for team issues. I've also used the 'bad apple' idea after any violations and applied awareness penalties to whole units (e..g if it was a cornerback violating I would knock down the whole secondary) for the week to reflect the 'distraction.' I've found this system leads to getting deeper into your depth, situations where guys 'step up', and makes you appreciate your older players, your 'character players' with higher awareness a little more than some of those flashy freshmen.

Last edited by mcavner; 02-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavner
I use House Rules in those situations. If you're getting a freebie high-end recruit just pretend they're an academic risk, injury risk, or a possible discipline issue. Or combine all of the above. But come to some reason why other teams are staying away. If you do decide to go after some talent with issues there are a few things you can do to make it interesting.

Use their Awareness to determine academic eligibility after you sign them and do it each offseason (or each week). For example, if their awareness is 45 as a freshmen - there's a 55% chance they don't meet their eligibility requirements. Use a simple random system to determine length of probation.

You can do the same each week with awareness to see if they don't break team rules, have some sort of NCAA violations, or even criminal violations. Create a simple random system to see if it is a situation where they just don't start, miss a few games, miss the season, or even have to be released outright and go JUCO (I sometimes will use editing to bring guys back as a JUCO transfer a season or two later - I just make sure the JUCO would be similarly recruited e.g. similar overall).

With injuries I'll knock a bunch off their injury rating, like 20 or so, then give them a knee brace, neck roll, arm protector or something for visuals - and then each week use the injury rating as a random roll to see if they stay healthy. Again, random system to see for how long. I also knock another 5 off their injury rating permanently each time they're hurt (I actually do this with all my guys - and use the equipment as a visual cue for guys who are often 'banged up' or dealing with a chronic issue).

I also have played around with the 'bad apple' idea where one guy can come in and mess with the team's chemistry. Use a random system to see if anyone else is being negatively impacted - if they are that player goes into the 'system' of rolls for team issues. I've also used the 'bad apple' idea after any violations and applied awareness penalties to whole units (e..g if it was a cornerback violating I would knock down the whole secondary) for the week to reflect the 'distraction.' I've found this system leads to getting deeper into your depth, situations where guys 'step up', and makes you appreciate your older players, your 'character players' with higher awareness a little more than some of those flashy freshmen.
This is good as well. The only way to really create a challenge with recruiting is to abide by your own rules in my opinion. It's too easy to overrecruit.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Rookie

Kodos's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm thinking of running a solo dynasty with imaginary teambuilder teams where I control all of the teams in a given conference (in addition to my team). That way, I could do good things like:

1. Have other teams in my conference recruit overlooked studs like the RBs in the original post.
2. Control their playbooks and style of play (conservative, aggressive, etc.).
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
I don't think that is the issue he's talking about. He is identifying the bug where some top prospects aren't recruiting by any computer teams during the season.

I had one dynasty year where the #3 prospect overall wasn't getting recruited. I began to recruit him after week 10 and he was an 81 Gem QB out of Oregon who was 6'7", 230 with 90+ speed, 90+ throw power and ~85 accuracy (Tyson Jackson?). He ended up winning back-to-back Heisman Trophies for me.

It was after that I began to read this forum for ideas. I think Silver Bullet talked about not recruiting players who don't have you listed in their school list. I changed that a bit and don't recruit them until week 12 as long as their team list wasn't full (10) and I had to make his list the next week to continue recruiting them. I've only had 3 or 4 who failed to list me after one week in three 30+ season dynasties.
That's correct, I won't recruit people who don't have me top 10. Honestly, I usually don't go for guys if I'm outside the top 5 unless I'm short and need bodies at that position.

I also limit my 4 and 5 star talent, it stops me from having a juggernaut roster.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »