Home

Recommend me an NBA 2k game for the ps4.....

This is a discussion on Recommend me an NBA 2k game for the ps4..... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Pro

rdawsoniii's Arena

OVR: 5
Recommend me an NBA 2k game for the ps4.....

A little background. I have been a video gamer since Pong in the ‘70s. In all this time I have never purchased an NBA game, but am considering one now. The reason I am going with the 2k series is because of the classic teams. I will play the classic teams exclusively as I have no interest in the NBA of today.

What I want is: a game that is easy to play without a difficult learning curve. A game I can play without having to make in game purchases. I would never play any kind of franchise mode, online, or head to head against another person. Which of the 2k ps4 games best meets that criteria?

I see there are downloadable legends rosters going back to 2k16. Are these still available?

I am no longer a hardcore gamer (if I ever really was). I just want a fun game I can pick up and play every once in awhile.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Pro

rdawsoniii's Arena

Re: Recommend me an NBA 2k game for the ps4.....

Nobody has any recommendations?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Pro

Iasounis's Arena

OVR: 0

Since you mentioned 'legends', off rip, I'd suggest 2k18. Bunch of classic and all-time rosters, and more players available (i.e. more missing th9s year than last).
Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Pro

rdawsoniii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasounis
Since you mentioned 'legends', off rip, I'd suggest 2k18. Bunch of classic and all-time rosters, and more players available (i.e. more missing th9s year than last).
Thank you!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

I recommend 2k18 as well. It is an easier game to pick up and play. I think defense in that game is the most realistic version of any 2k series as of recent memory. It is not as frustrating to play against the cpu defense like this years current offering. The drive and kick game works beautifully and less frustration with terrible cpu defenders playing kawaii leonard type defense.

If you are going to play primarily against the cpu then 2k18 is the way to go for sure.

Last edited by rhein77; 03-23-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I'd also suggest 2K18. It's probably the most fun playing against the CPU, and the easiest from a learning curve standpoint.

The only thing I would say is if you have any interest in doing MyPlayer (creating a player and taking him through a career), you might consider 2K16 because that's the last year without the archetype system. You could pretty much create any kind of player you wanted in that game. The problem is that everyone pretty much made a 7 ft, do-everything SF, which made online play repetitive. So they started really limiting what kind of player you could make after that. If you're interested in that mode at all, and are only planning on playing offline anyway, you might have a little more flexibility in that game.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Pro

I purchased 2k17 pretty cheap and like it a lot. Maybe 18 would have been better, but for now, 17 is pretty good.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #8
Rookie

SlimFast_GymRat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii
Nobody has any recommendations?
If you're looking for less of a challenge with the same level of online capabilities as 2K19 (roster updates, draft classes, etc.) go with 2K18. My problem w/2K18 that no one here has mentioned yet are cheesy flaws (such as the blow-by and snatchback moves) that can't be countered or remedied. But if you don't mind any of that 2K18 is a decent pickup.

My suggestion would be 2K16 or 2K19.

2K16 doesn't have the online features of 2K19, but personally (and there also seems to be a general conensus now), it's the most well rounded 2K since last-gen 2K14. Player likeness is represented as well as it's ever been (a side from a few ugly cyberfaces), defense feels fun and rewarding unlike most 2K's, and there's tons of variation in animations that overall make each game feel unique. You don't feel "as" cheated by legacy issues and more in control of your game's fate. My main gripes with 2K16 are transition defense (that are present with every sequential 2K anyway) and the outdated control schemes.

If you're mainly an offline gamer because you don't have as much time to dedicate to its entirety anymore (ie. myself), 2K19 is a good choice. Unlike 2K18, 2K19's movement and defense can be remedied with sliders, there are more legends/retro alternatives, and updated rosters/draft classes everyday. Legacy issues are present in this game more than any other, though, which seems to be posted about here on OS every other day. My personal order would be:

1. 2K16
2. 2K19
3. 2K18
4. 2K14
5. 2K15
6. 2K17

Last edited by SlimFast_GymRat; 03-27-2019 at 12:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »