Home

What are the chances Madden 20 will have a Coaching Carousel?

This is a discussion on What are the chances Madden 20 will have a Coaching Carousel? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Rookie

DallasFan39's Arena

OVR: 0
What are the chances Madden 20 will have a Coaching Carousel?

One of the things I want the most is for Madden to add in offensive and defensive coordinators as well as position coaches (these can even be fictionalized).* Once you bring this aspect into the game it can more easily flow into opening up a coaching carousel like that in the NCAA Football games.
Imagine starting your career as an offensive or defensive coordinator and building your resume after a year or two.* Maybe you can take A team with a poor defense from the depths of terribad and build them into a beast with your amazing skills.* The unfortunate aspect is that your team is doing poorly and the head coach gets fired in week 12.*

The ownership have you take over for the rest of the season. Now you are in control of both sides of the ball as well as depth charts and everything that goes with being the HC. At the end of the season if you have won enough games you will be offer the head coach job as well as have offers from other teams. You can pick to stay or leave. If you weren’t successful enough maybe you have to go back to your old job under a new coach or even be fired.

That’s just my idea but if Madden a kind of coaching carousel I will be frist in line to buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What are the chances Madden 20 will have a Coaching Carousel?

Something similar to what the NCAA series had would be awesome. If we did get a feature like this in 20 I highly doubt it would include position coaches. To be honest I would enjoy if position coaches also made it in but don't know if it's necessary. We definitely need coordinators in the game though, it's a feature that's long overdue in franchise.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone from the Madden team mention that they wanted to get coordinators in the game. The problem was they didn't want to just add generic coordinators and wanted to wait until they got the licenses for the coordinators in the NFL. Personally I'd be fine with generic coordinators, having the ability to start as a coordinator and work your way up the ranks would be a game changer. Right now I plan on sitting Madden 20 out but if they were to get a feature like this added in to the game I would highly consider buying it.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Rookie

DallasFan39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
Something similar to what the NCAA series had would be awesome. If we did get a feature like this in 20 I highly doubt it would include position coaches. To be honest I would enjoy if position coaches also made it in but don't know if it's necessary. We definitely need coordinators in the game though, it's a feature that's long overdue in franchise.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone from the Madden team mention that they wanted to get coordinators in the game. The problem was they didn't want to just add generic coordinators and wanted to wait until they got the licenses for the coordinators in the NFL. Personally I'd be fine with generic coordinators, having the ability to start as a coordinator and work your way up the ranks would be a game changer. Right now I plan on sitting Madden 20 out but if they were to get a feature like this added in to the game I would highly consider buying it.
I think most people would be fine with generic coordinators. I don’t need position coaches but being able to play as a DC/OC and work my way up like in NCAA 14 would be a game changer for me as well. Like you I was going to sit Madden 20 out but if they added this I am all in.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
MVP

If there's room for only one major addition to Franchise in Madden NFL 20, I hope it's coordinators and a coaching carousel. I get the impression that it's the consensus number one want (or close to it, at least) from the Franchise community. I also think the vast majority of users would be fine with generic coordinators too.

I just hope that these additions would be well-planned and fleshed out. Ideally, there'd be some sort of system that prevents head coaches who have been fired multiple times from being recycled again and again by CPU controlled teams. Maybe after two firings in, say, a five year span, that coach can then only be hired as an assistant or, perhaps, even removed from the pool entirely ("back to the college ranks", like Chip Kelly). A similar system that deals with coach retirements would be essential too, weighing a coach’s age and success (or lack thereof) over the course of his career. I'd also love the ability to edit a coach's name, age, build, playbooks, and attire. If all of these edits could be done outside of Franchise (for classic roster-making, especially) as well as inside of the mode, that'd be ideal.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
I just hope that these additions would be well-planned and fleshed out. Ideally, there'd be some sort of system that prevents head coaches who have been fired multiple times from being recycled again and again by CPU controlled teams. Maybe after two firings in, say, a five year span, that coach can then only be hired as an assistant or, perhaps, even removed from the pool entirely ("back to the college ranks", like Chip Kelly). A similar system that deals with coach retirements would be essential too, weighing a coach’s age and success (or lack thereof) over the course of his career. I'd also love the ability to edit a coach's name, age, build, playbooks, and attire. If all of these edits could be done outside of Franchise (for classic roster-making, especially) as well as inside of the mode, that'd be ideal.
Definitely I'm with you, I hope it's a well thought out feature not just some cosmetic addition to franchise mode. Let's hope they get it added in, like I said in my earlier post I remember someone from the Madden team a while back saying that it's a feature that they wanted in the game but wouldn't do it with generic coaches and actually wanted them to have an impact on the game not end up like what we have currently in trainers and scouts.

One of the challenges they are going to have with implementing it the way they want to is that coordinators are not part of the NFL coaches association. To my understanding the NFL coaches association only consists of 31 of the head coaches (Bill Belichick is not part of it which is why he's never in the game) so instead of going to the coaches association for licensing they would need to get the rights to each coordinator individually. Additionally if they were serious about wanting them to actually matter to the game then it will take some time to get the feature integrated with franchise.

I like a lot of the ideas you have in this post with the coach retirements and after a certain point have it so teams will only hire certain head coaches as coordinators if they've had unsuccessful runs as a head coach. Another thing I would like to see them bring back is having some players come back as coaches after they retire that way later on in franchise you could end up with a good mix of former players and some generated coaches to choose from. I also hope that your coordinators actually have some sort of affect on your team. Maybe instead of you being able to purchase xp boosts for all of the positions they should have each head coach and assistant coach to specialize in certain positions or position groups and earn xp boosts for those positions. For example say Drew Brees retires in your franchise and comes back as an offensive coordinator, make it so if you hire him he gives XP boosts to your QBs or QBs and WRs if they want to do multiple position boosts.

I think I share the same thoughts as many on here and would be fine with generic coaches. I just want to able to hire someone's offensive or defensive coordinator away from them for my next head coach rather than just picking from a pool of generic head coaches, it would add a lot of fun factor to franchise for me because I have just as much fun making off field decisions and with the team building aspect of franchise modes as I do with playing the actual games in franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFan39
I think most people would be fine with generic coordinators. I don’t need position coaches but being able to play as a DC/OC and work my way up like in NCAA 14 would be a game changer for me as well. Like you I was going to sit Madden 20 out but if they added this I am all in.
This topic came up close to a year ago around here with a interview with Ben Haumiller who used to work on the NCAA series. He knows people want a coaching carousel and also knows that people want coordinators in the game.

He said it's much different than when they had coordinators in the game last generation. Now, they need to sign each coordinator to bring them into the game. And he said, if they are going to do it, they want to be authentic about it and do it right. Most of the posters on OS, including myself, wouldn't mind generic coordinators.

That is the difference between the Madden team and us. And with the Madden team, it's always going to be about priority, timing and resources.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Pro

I personally do not mind this, but on one condition: the coaches need to matter. If I am naming Tony D'Amato or Bud Kilmer as my coach, I don't want to do it for the sake of doing it because it is cute. I want them to have an effect on the game. I want to see coordinators who are really good, therefore their units reflect that and vice versa. And I want it to be noticeable to the point where I know I need to fire that coordinator because the offense (or defense) is so terrible.

Otherwise, don't waste time and effort on it
Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I want this more than anything, but a very close second is chemistry, influencing the ebb and flow of talent at all positions (from head coach through players themselves) from team to team. Likely a pipe dream, just want something that's really organic. But I'd take the carousel for now, it's a start

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »