Home

Is there no punishment for throwing to 1st 27 times?

This is a discussion on Is there no punishment for throwing to 1st 27 times? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon13 Is there no punishment for throwing to 1st 27 times?

I had a guy with 99 speed on 1st, and a guy threw to 1st 27 times in a row, is there no punishment for this crap? Energy? I mean that should be 27 pitches, it was insane just sitting there and watching this....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Is there no punishment for throwing to 1st 27 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeRNT
I had a guy with 99 speed on 1st, and a guy threw to 1st 27 times in a row, is there no punishment for this crap? Energy? I mean that should be 27 pitches, it was insane just sitting there and watching this....
Why should there be? There isn't in real life; in fact, there can't be in real life.

I think a minor drain in energy would be nice, but what are you going to do? Have the game yell "STOP IT"? Then automatically let you steal, or automatically hinder you for stealing?

That's unfortunate, but outside of the smallest energy drain, I'm not really sure what else you should expect from it. Maybe the pitcher accidentally balks time to time?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
There is an energy cost to attempting pickoffs, it's pretty easy to see in offline play if you IBB the first guy and just throw over repeatedly. I don't know if it's a whole pitch's worth of energy or some fraction of one, but it is there.

The thing is though, energy isn't even going to play much of a part in most online games because a lot of people will swing at virtually everything in the strike zone. That usually doesn't allow pitch counts to get very high, or much energy to be expended. Let alone allowing any energy hit from repeated pickoffs to be a factor.

I'm curious though - did you take the extra leadoff step on every one of those? If you just had the standard lead and weren't pressing L1 each time, that seems like something that needs to be addressed. People shouldn't just be able to throw over non-stop if no lead is being taken - that borders on being an exploitable way to not allow a game to continue (or at least, cause it to progress extremely slowly).

Last edited by bcruise; 04-04-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Why should there be? There isn't in real life; in fact, there can't be in real life.

I think a minor drain in energy would be nice, but what are you going to do? Have the game yell "STOP IT"? Then automatically let you steal, or automatically hinder you for stealing?

That's unfortunate, but outside of the smallest energy drain, I'm not really sure what else you should expect from it. Maybe the pitcher accidentally balks time to time?
Agreed, but there should be a drop in effectiveness. The first pick off throw is generally the most effective, then down from there pretty sharply.

I don't know how it works in The Show because it's so infrequent, but if the chance for being picked off doesn't drop effectively to 0 after three or so attempts, something is wrong. Nobody is going to get picked when they've seen the guy's move after basically 2 throws. I can only assume that he did that because there was a chance for it to happen, which is not right.

Also, there should be a soft limit built in, the umpire would eventually call a delay of game I would imagine irl.

- Rick Wise
Old 04-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yeah, now that you mention it I agree that there should be something. Even in real life, the more you focus on the runner, the less you "focus" on the batter. More chances to miss your spots, especially out over the plate or something. I see what you mean.

I don't know how the effectiveness should work towards pickoffs, though. You could just as easily exploit that on the other side of the ball then as a baserunner and get your steals as needed.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

If someone is taking a one step lead, I have zero problem with throwing over an infinite amount of times. It’s on the base runner to stop taking the lead. And if they’re stubborn enough to continue to take an extra lead, then let the stalemate commence.

Biggest reason being that anyone over 90 speed will steal the base successfully with a one step lead just about every single time. I will never blame anyone for not conceding this. There is no entitlement to getting free stolen bases. If you are playing someone that plays close attention to base runners, then you either deal with it or try to steal without the extra lead.

Not saying it towards the OP because I don’t know the situation specifically that he’s bringing up. But nothing grinds my gears more than someone complaining about throw-overs when they continue to take extra leads.

I mean do you expect people will just hand you stolen bases?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Is there no punishment for throwing to 1st 27 times?
lol
I'd say the punishment was ya'll both had to play (& watch) that cat & mouse mess 27 times.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE ISNT IN REAL LIFE?
You have to pretty much throw a fastball to 1st 27 times before you even attempt to pitch an inning... Most pitchers struggle going 6 innings these days, let alone waste 27 pitches. Thats besides the point that some pitchers struggle with accuracy throwing to 1st, others simply dont(like lester)
Ontop of that, you got a pretty much an exploit by preventing the game from going on, so if im losing, il walk 1 guy and throw to first until my opponent rage quits.... Because who will sit there for 2 hours watching a pick off move being done over and over for the fact to win a game....

Yes there should be heavy stamina drop, and yes there should be a limit to how many pick off moves you can do either per inning or per batter... If you need to throw to 1st 27 times in a row then you aren't playing the game properly nor being efficient because throwing a fast ball of the plate would accomplish the same thing or a pitch out.

And as a side note, i was taking a 1 step lead for half of those, until i got bored and stopped and he threw like 12 more times to first in which case i said that it had nothing to do with me and he was more raging that i got a blooper base hit then anything, but who knows i cant read his mind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »