Home

Future of Commentary

This is a discussion on Future of Commentary within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #1
Rookie

ElMago9's Arena

OVR: 0
Future of Commentary

“Rookie of the year, MVP...get in line!”

I hear that repetitive comment every Kris Bryant at bat. There’s various, more significant features to improve upon before even touching up commentary, but it’d be quite refreshing to hear some new voices in the booth one of these years.

With that being said, I was curious...if you could realistically choose any commentary team to call the games on The Show, who would you pick?

I know folks tend to hate Joe Buck, but he’d be acceptable to me, if it means getting rid of the current three. I’d take Dan Shulman, Jon Sciambi, Tim Kurkjian. Not necessarily those three mentioned together, but guys like that. There’s obviously others as well, but I just wanted to name a few.

What about you?

Last edited by ElMago9; 04-13-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2019, 03:35 AM   #2
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Re: Future of Commentary

Sterling would be funny if they went radio route. then we could get done ridiculous one liners every home run that be could come up with that are not just yankee players
Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

for me, I'd go from a 3-man booth to a 2-man booth. quality over quantity, I always say

A Work in Progress
Old 04-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
Sterling would be funny if they went radio route. then we could get done ridiculous one liners every home run that be could come up with that are not just yankee players
I posted a similar idea before news of this years game was beginning to be announced.

Keep the current broadcasting team and add plenty of lines to flesh it out.

BUT...

As an alternate, bring in a one man radio booth (which could also use an audio version of Heidi seeing as she is also now part of the game) to be a radio broadcaster. I wouldn't pick somebody who was a current MLB broadcaster but a voice actor who could be brought in during the season to add new names and new lines. Program it such that he describes the plays in detail and pours out statistical data, most of which the game is already tracking anyway. Less of the anecdotal stories that become old, just a ton of data.

It be a great way of offering an alternative to the broadcast presentation.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 04-13-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I posted a similar idea before news of this years game was beginning to be announced.

Keep the current broadcasting team and add plenty of lines to flesh it out.

BUT...

As an alternate, bring in a one man radio booth (which could also use an audio version of Heidi seeing as she is also now part of the game) to be a radio broadcaster. I wouldn't pick somebody who was a current MLB broadcaster but a voice actor who could be brought in during the season to add new names and new lines. Program it such that he describes the plays in detail and pours out statistical data, most of which the game is already tracking anyway. Less of the anecdotal stories that become old, just a ton of data.

It be a great way of offering an alternative to the broadcast presentation.
thats a win-win: a 1-man radio booth would be a more accurate depiction for minor league games too, versus a 4-man/woman television team

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Won't make any difference. It's the writing, like TOO MUCH OF IT. How about they shut up for a few seconds instead of jabbering incessantly? Just curious, when you are deeply involved in a pressure situation does it bother any of you that you can't think because these guys won't shut up. Do you actually hear them when you're trying to concentrate? Then you get an irritating "DeRo" line.

I dunno, Matt needs to be replaced, but it will never happen. Probably too difficult to sync all the lines and two color guys are just flat out annoying and over kill, especially then they get repetitive and WON'T SHUT UP. Lord have mercy, SHUT UP for a couple seconds.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Won't make any difference. It's the writing, like TOO MUCH OF IT. How about they shut up for a few seconds instead of jabbering incessantly? Just curious, when you are deeply involved in a pressure situation does it bother any of you that you can't think because these guys won't shut up. Do you actually hear them when you're trying to concentrate? Then you get an irritating "DeRo" line.
amen exactly. I dont normally play with commentary on (just enough to get a small taste). When Mike Trout is at the dish he's not wishing he had running commentary in a bluetooth on his helmet; he wants to focus on getting on base. When deGrom is on the hill he doesnt wanna hear how great he is, he wants to send dudes back to the dugout. My Sunday game is my main game for commentary or if I'm just in a play now game when I want a game with no pressure or strings attached

A Work in Progress
Old 04-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Rookie

I'd take a couple talented voice actors who could replicate a major league broadcast. Not as expensive and more time to give it the attention it deserves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »