Home

Random Difficulty

This is a discussion on Random Difficulty within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Random Difficulty

So I’m playing on default All Star for everything for my franchise currently. Can someone please tell me I’m crazy ... but it totally feels like the game is somehow changing difficulty for me in the background. I know what all Star feels like ... at time I feel like I’m pitching to hall of fame hitters ... then for a few games to rookie like hitters - like everything is a strikeout. Then I can’t get anyone out! Does anyone feel like this?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Re: Random Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRickyRun24
So I’m playing on default All Star for everything for my franchise currently. Can someone please tell me I’m crazy ... but it totally feels like the game is somehow changing difficulty for me in the background. I know what all Star feels like ... at time I feel like I’m pitching to hall of fame hitters ... then for a few games to rookie like hitters - like everything is a strikeout. Then I can’t get anyone out! Does anyone feel like this?? Thanks

You’re not alone. I feel the difficulty levels are all over the map. From MTO to Moments and within franchise as well.

But in the games defence this is the first year I’ve ever played franchise on HOF so maybe the differences I’m seeing are a result of the higher difficulty.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I’m fairly certain there is a degree of fluctuation in the difficulty to keep things interesting game to game.

Great teams lose to bad teams sometimes. Bad teams have occasional hot stretches. If the difficulty were set in stone every at bat of every game, many players wouldn’t experience that.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRickyRun24

congratulations, your playing on the correct difficulty level to match your skill level. you dont really want to dominate and win 130+ games do you? or struggle to win 30?

A Work in Progress
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Seems like as good a thread as any for this anecdote:

I'm playing RTTS on Legend via dynamic difficulty with its slider zeroed (to ensure that the difficulty level is a constant throughout my career). I hit pretty well in AA, started out above .400 but eventually settled around .300. May 23rd I get the big callup - not to AAA, but to The Show because I actually was rated higher than the O's guy Nunez at 3B.

I got one hit in that game. It was a game-winning Grand Slam off of CC Sabathia.

So, let's make this relevant to the thread topic now. Since that dramatic career jumpstart, I've slid much more back into the position that I expect as a fresh 64 OVR AA callup - .182 BA in 33 MLB at-bats. 6 hits in 10 games.

THAT is what I expected - not hitting a HR in my first MLB game with 40 PWR.

Did the difficulty lower for that one game and then spike up to a level that I didn't see even in AA? Of course not - the answer is that I was suddenly facing much tougher pitching than I had seen previously, but still managed to run into one pitch that left the yard. I saw differences in my PCI sizes from game to game, but that is due to the pitchers H/9 and K/9 working against my contact and vision - often completely overpowering it and making my PCIs extremely small. But there's definitely no full difficulty level changing - the PCI changes weren't dramatic enough for it to be that. It's all done through the ratings.

I will go through many peaks and valleys in this RTTS, but I will stay on this one difficulty. What keeps it from feeling scripted or stale is the interaction between my player's ratings and my opponents on the mound, and also the HUGE variety of outcomes that stem from those interactions.

One more thing - the fact that I know all of this - both the Slam and the predictable downhill slide after it - is all done on the same level playing field is what makes unexpected moments like that debut so special.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-14-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Forgot about mentioning the frozen DD slider. Important detail!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
congratulations, your playing on the correct difficulty level to match your skill level. you dont really want to dominate and win 130+ games do you? or struggle to win 30?
This .... to me, the ideal difficulty level is whatever it takes for you to produce realistic stats and results. Sounds like you got it
Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Sample size, sample size, sample size.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I think they finally nailed it this year. It’s all about levels, sliders, patience, impatience, randomness, etc. I’ve not felt this way about past years games. I go in a three game set and score 2,2, and 2 runs, eek out a tense victory in all that, wonder if I’ll ever score a bunch of runs again, return home and rake Colorado for 15 runs. I’ll probably get shut out tomorrow, lol.

Losses have never felt so good as what this game is offering this year. I’m 12-13, so the challenge is real. Just a great game for a baseball junkie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »