Home

Practice makes perfect

This is a discussion on Practice makes perfect within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6
Practice makes perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5loHtassk

Well not for me lol. I can't find a fun factor with this game because of hitting deficiencies.

1. I can't make contact with anything but fastballs or something that's thrown basically down the middle. Even when pitches are IN the zone if it's on outer half i'm early. Inside half forget about it. Whiff after whiff. Can't hit a slider or curve if my life depended on it unless it's hung down the middle and even then i still miss a fair amount of those due to freezing up or swinging late.

2.Lefty vs Lefty is basically an automatic out. Not that i'm a silver slugger righty vs righty but it gets real bad when i have to hit with a LH vs a LP.

3. Directional and analog hitting get boring i've tried them in the past. So for the past three versions of this game i've been trying to learn how to Zone hit and it seems the more i play the worst i get. I just don't play the game for days at a time just to avoid the frustration. But at the same time i don't want to. I want to actually enjoy the game. I've tried 'pre-loading" the PCI to a certain spot until two strikes that doesn't work. Leave it centered and try to adjust as pitch approaches...nope. Also have tried to hold PCI to where the pitchers hand is gonna be and "track" the ball and can't get the hang of that either. I know, i know, i can put it on Rookie or Veteran etc and it'll be "easier" but i won't find any challenge or fun by getting a bunch of easy pitches out over the plate which will change my results but not improve skill which is what i'm looking to do. I'm not trying to master the game so to speak i just want to get to a point where whenever i get two strikes that i can protect all quadrants of the strike zone sometimes to extend at-bats, etc and not basically know that the strikeout is inevitable.

4. I wish they would bring back Pitch Recognition in batting practice mode to allow you to work on specific pitches

I posted a video of me in practice mode Corbin vs Freddie Freeman. I wasn't trying for quality at bats as much as i was trying to improve picking up the pitches out of the pitchers hand and making decent contact on pitches that are not pretty much dead middle. I've been practicing this matchup for about 3 days now trying to get the hang of it hoping something will click. I'm probably beyond help at this point cause i'm at my wit's end. Enjoy the video and have a good laugh lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Practice makes perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5loHtassk

Well not for me lol. I can't find a fun factor with this game because of hitting deficiencies.

1. I can't make contact with anything but fastballs or something that's thrown basically down the middle. Even when pitches are IN the zone if it's on outer half i'm early. Inside half forget about it. Whiff after whiff. Can't hit a slider or curve if my life depended on it unless it's hung down the middle and even then i still miss a fair amount of those due to freezing up or swinging late.

2.Lefty vs Lefty is basically an automatic out. Not that i'm a silver slugger righty vs righty but it gets real bad when i have to hit with a LH vs a LP.

3. Directional and analog hitting get boring i've tried them in the past. So for the past three versions of this game i've been trying to learn how to Zone hit and it seems the more i play the worst i get. I just don't play the game for days at a time just to avoid the frustration. But at the same time i don't want to. I want to actually enjoy the game. I've tried 'pre-loading" the PCI to a certain spot until two strikes that doesn't work. Leave it centered and try to adjust as pitch approaches...nope. Also have tried to hold PCI to where the pitchers hand is gonna be and "track" the ball and can't get the hang of that either. I know, i know, i can put it on Rookie or Veteran etc and it'll be "easier" but i won't find any challenge or fun by getting a bunch of easy pitches out over the plate which will change my results but not improve skill which is what i'm looking to do. I'm not trying to master the game so to speak i just want to get to a point where whenever i get two strikes that i can protect all quadrants of the strike zone sometimes to extend at-bats, etc and not basically know that the strikeout is inevitable.

4. I wish they would bring back Pitch Recognition in batting practice mode to allow you to work on specific pitches

I posted a video of me in practice mode Corbin vs Freddie Freeman. I wasn't trying for quality at bats as much as i was trying to improve picking up the pitches out of the pitchers hand and making decent contact on pitches that are not pretty much dead middle. I've been practicing this matchup for about 3 days now trying to get the hang of it hoping something will click. I'm probably beyond help at this point cause i'm at my wit's end. Enjoy the video and have a good laugh lol
That seems to be a theme with a lot of people this year due to the "improved" hitting focus on timing...Have you tried lowering pitch speed to a ridiculously low level until you can rake a bit, then bumping it up a notch at a time?

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 04-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Cupcake on your schedule

igolfbad's Arena

OVR: 8

One old guy’s opinion, and I’m hardly an expert... (full disclosure, I’m bad too)

First, change the background noise to something resembling music (again, one old guy’s opinion )

In all seriousness, try backing up the camera so you don’t have the belt buckle’s view of the at bat. Something tells me if you can see more of your batter, you’ll see the entire sequence better, and will have a much better experience.

Now get the hell off my lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
MVP

Houston's Arena

You should consider turning swing info and completely ignore that. Try different camera angle as suggested, but dont focus so much on the swing info and just turn it off then report back your results.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
That seems to be a theme with a lot of people this year due to the "improved" hitting focus on timing...Have you tried lowering pitch speed to a ridiculously low level until you can rake a bit, then bumping it up a notch at a time?
I might. But i'm thinking that might even make it worse as far as the breaking pitches seeing as though i'm early on most of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfbad
One old guy’s opinion, and I’m hardly an expert... (full disclosure, I’m bad too)

First, change the background noise to something resembling music (again, one old guy’s opinion )

In all seriousness, try backing up the camera so you don’t have the belt buckle’s view of the at bat. Something tells me if you can see more of your batter, you’ll see the entire sequence better, and will have a much better experience.

Now get the hell off my lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Niiice
Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
You should consider turning swing info and completely ignore that. Try different camera angle as suggested, but dont focus so much on the swing info and just turn it off then report back your results.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Operation Sports mobile app
I wouldn't say i'm "focusing" on the feedback. I know i'm early without even looking at it. I swing at the "upper" part of sliders and curves as oppose to where they end up breaking at. So my swings end up over top of the ball and early. I simply can not stop doing it no matter how much practice.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
I might. But i'm thinking that might even make it worse as far as the breaking pitches seeing as though i'm early on most of them.
You could set offspeed pitch speed one notch above whatever you have fastball pitch speed on. That should help with being too far out in front of them. If fastball pitch speed is at 2, set offspeed at 3. In fact, many people do this anyway in their slider sets.

You could even set it at 1 and 2. Even big leaguers take BP with very slow pitches. See how you do, work on your approach, then bump up to 2,3 etc...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »