Home

What Do You Want and Expect from an Indie Company Making a Boxing Videogame?

This is a discussion on What Do You Want and Expect from an Indie Company Making a Boxing Videogame? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 39
Icon5 What Do You Want and Expect from an Indie Company Making a Boxing Videogame?

What is it that you most want and Expect from an indie videogame company making a boxing videogame?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What Do You Want and Expect from an Indie Company Making a Boxing Videogame?

I expect solid sim gameplay.

I want full customization. A lot of games restrict players becaue of "online balance". Ranked can be restricted. Casual and offline should allow players to edit everything.

Stats

etc

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: What Do You Want and Expect from an Indie Company Making a Boxing Videogame?

I refuse to purchase any boxing game that employs the same career mode formula if "Start at 50 OV, earn points thru training/fights, disperse points, wash-rinse-repeat".

I'd like to see some outside the box thinking on this one.
Static attributes. You can increase skills like stamina and strength, but speed, power, etc, should all be static when starting a career.
What you can improve on is basic fighting skill, perhaps learning a new combo, or developing a new punch.
But there isn't one fighter who you can point to and say "Yeah, he had 5/10 hand speed in his first pro fight and now he's magically 10/10 twenty fights later".
Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

solid, innovative gameplay from controls to animation to graphics. Literally nothing else matters unless it has solid gameplay you want to come back to again and again.

To me this is animation/physics/feeback mechanism. I think games need to work 'within themselves' first. By that I mean, don't worry about forcing counter-window's and making absolutely certain that a counter punch does more damage etc... first it just needs to click and work and feel good.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
solid, innovative gameplay from controls to animation to graphics. Literally nothing else matters unless it has solid gameplay you want to come back to again and again.

To me this is animation/physics/feeback mechanism. I think games need to work 'within themselves' first. By that I mean, don't worry about forcing counter-window's and making absolutely certain that a counter punch does more damage etc... first it just needs to click and work and feel good.
I trying to understand what you posted. You are saying a counter punch shouldn't be a damaging punch?!? A counter punch should be damaging depend on a boxer's punching power and it still should have some sting or annoyance to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Just started!

OVR: 0

Lot's of customization options so we can create fighters that aren't licensed. AI that fights differently depending on what opponent he's up against eg. whether or not he respects the other boxer's power.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
I trying to understand what you posted. You are saying a counter punch shouldn't be a damaging punch?!? A counter punch should be damaging depend on a boxer's punching power and it still should have some sting or annoyance to it.
no, I'm saying don't implement a 'gameplay mechanic'. If you counter successfuly, good on you - it was within the flow of regular gameplay
Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

I'm by no means a game developer but I do make games for my self which I mainly play on my arcade cabinet. I'm working on a cartoony style Mike Tyson's punchout remake where you play as Tyson. Been sketching out some artwork the past day or so.
Attached Images
File Type: png punch2.png (113.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png flex.png (124.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg tyson.jpg (65.3 KB, 35 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »