Home

2K20: Fool the other USER, not the AI

This is a discussion on 2K20: Fool the other USER, not the AI within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
2K20: Fool the other USER, not the AI

In the final part of this series we cover a few more aspects of gameplay that should require fooling the other user in H2H, shortly we'll touch on a few more points about the pump fake. But first, lets take a second to appreciate the infamous Charles Smith play in the 1993 playoffs--where we see just how pump fakes allow the defenders who don't fall for them time to key in on the offensive player.

Read the rest here: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2019/06/fo...ai-part-3.html

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Re: 2K20: Fool the other USER, not the AI

Pump fakes can't be a risk-free part of every offensive interaction.

Good examples of how ineffective pump fakes should negatively affect the offensive player.

The second clip is a perfect example of an instance where great defensive position should draw charges IF the offensive player is too aggressive. The visual indicator shows us that that Nurkic is in perfect position and a shot fading AWAY from him is safest. KAT's success rate should be low % in situations like this....and reach-in fouls should be rare.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Pump fakes can't be a risk-free part of every offensive interaction.

Good examples of how ineffective pump fakes should negatively affect the offensive player.

The second clip is a perfect example of an instance where great defensive position should draw charges IF the offensive player is aggressive enough. The visual indicator shows us that that Nurkic is in perfect position and a shot fading AWAY from him is safest. KAT's success rate should be low % in situations like that....and reach-in fouls should be rare.

A few years ago. I would of totally agreed with you. But this year I've found it works pretty well like in that first clip. You can't get a steal every time. But a few things can happen.

First, the offensive player is standing in the paint. He's got to worry about a 3-second call eventually. So the pressure is on him. I feel 2k really did their homework here in these situations of "under the basket animations" and "branches". As the defender, you can Hand up, Swipe for a steal, Aggressively go for the block, Conservation go for the block (vert contest) and finally move the defend. The strip has to be timed very well. If you have little guy with high steals. It will be a strip. For example, I play with 2002 Nets a lot. And sometimes I'll switch all and get mismatches with Kidd on Bigs. All I do is play users for the strip. Same goes for a big vs big match. Just stand there. The steal option is still there if you want to go with it. But buyer beware. There is a penalty for mistiming it.

I can't find a clip of it. But this would be an example of what I'm talking about. It's not 100%. I thought he was going for a drop step. But he pumps faked and threw me out of wack.

Spoiler
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

My issue is the AI teammates have to be better. A defense is only as strong as its weakest link...and thats ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the AI.

Users can frequently make plays vs the long pass.....but the AI can't. And since the AI is everywhere we're not they're still a legacy issue. Its no different from when we see the AI let rollers run uncovered in the PNR or overhelp and leave wings open when everyone is accounted for on screen-roll.

In the end we're outnumbered 4 to 1 and we need the AI to make common sense plays...but even still, gameplay still allows WAAAY TOO many Neutral Outcomes re: pump fakes. And offensive players can be static in the paint in a way you'd never see in reality. The AI can't consistently make brain dead plays just because we can't be everywhere. The other issue is there has to be a downside when things don't work....whether its a block, steal...or yes--even a pump fake.

This can't be a thing. Especially vs a good defender.

2K19:

2K16:

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
My issue is the AI teammates have to be better. A defense is only as strong as its weakest link...and thats ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the AI.

Users can frequently make plays vs the long pass.....but the AI can't. And since the AI is everywhere we're not they're still a legacy issue. Its no different from when we see the AI let rollers run uncovered in the PNR or overhelp and leave wings open when everyone is accounted for on screen-roll.

In the end we're outnumbered 4 to 1 and we need the AI to make common sense plays...but even still, gameplay still allows WAAAY TOO many Neutral Outcomes. And offensive players can be static in the paint in a way you'd never see in reality. The AI can't consistently make brain dead plays just because we can't be everywhere. The other issue is there has to be a downside when things don't work....whether its a block, steal...or yes--even a pump fake.

This can't be a thing. Especially vs a good defender.

2K19:

2K16:
The above looks good to me. Because he missed (in the first clip). The smart thing to do is take away. Most users won't. I found a clip of me stripping it.

That is fine in my opinion. Some times you get steals. Especially if you know the timing. Some times you don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Thats a good play, but we both know steals are gonna be nerfed/penalized heavily next year. I just dont want to see the ability to strip a guy pump-faking DISAPPEAR.

Also, I want more less risky/foul-prone options...esp if I have a bad defender. Steals shouldn't be our only option. Sometimes I just want to stay in good defensive position between them and the basket.

When we don't fall for pump-fakes the Hands Up Contain should trigger pretty regularly:

Hands Up combined with good defensive position should draw charges on over-aggressive offensive players as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

One More:

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »