Home

What happens if you turn off budgets?

This is a discussion on What happens if you turn off budgets? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
What happens if you turn off budgets?

Other than the obvious of their being no limitations to what you can spend. I'm asking more about the effect on the CPU-controlled teams. Do they still adhere to a budget? Or do they have free reign as well? What is the caliber of free agent classes with budgets turned off?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What happens if you turn off budgets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamhat1915
Other than the obvious of their being no limitations to what you can spend. I'm asking more about the effect on the CPU-controlled teams. Do they still adhere to a budget? Or do they have free reign as well? What is the caliber of free agent classes with budgets turned off?
I've played with budgets off for a while and it does change some things. Teams homogenize a bit in terms of their spending. I saw more "small-market" teams spend big, like the A's for instance. The Tigers ended up turning into the Yankees, buying nearly every big FA.

I did experience a high number of players entering FA, so the available talent was nice.

Watch me play video games
Old 07-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I did experience a high number of players entering FA, so the available talent was nice.
This was my big concern. I was afraid of their being extremely weak free agent classes since their was no budget to worry about and everyone could sign their big name stars without worry. But if there's still a good number of high quality free agents entering free agency, then I may switch to no budgets for my franchise and just impose house rules on myself to deal with the whole budget issue
Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

If I didn’t have my carryover franchise, I’d definitely turn budgets off. I just need a time machine, or I’ll wait til I reboot things probably in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1

I always play with budgets off. I do however take a few steps to allow the league to continue somewhat like normal. I use 30 team control and I have found if you allow the CPU to, they will re sign most of their high end free agents in the week phase right after the world series and before free agency begins.

What I do is turn OFF the CPU from re signing players until the very last day before free agency opens and then turn it back on. This allows some good free agents to re sign but most of them become available on the FA market. I do make sure to go through and either accept or decline Club options for all the CPU teams.

I also somewhat monitor teams signings and if a player really doesnt make sense reverse it or trade them off to a different team that "signed them" instead. I also don't go crazy signing every player under the sun. I feel like house rules are a must if you turn off budgets.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »