Home

How does anyone enjoy this?

This is a discussion on How does anyone enjoy this? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
How does anyone enjoy this?

I’ve came back to The Show after being away for a few years. I’ve put quite a bit of hours into it since I picked it up during the $30 sale. Some of the different modes and content are really great but there’s one thing I don’t understand. Why does it play such a bad game of baseball on the field?

This game has a ridiculously bad frame rate, the amount of broken fielding mechanics you see just in one game is mind numbingly awful, the rng hitting is ...frustrating, and the circus that takes place in a half inning where the AI is going to score whether you like it or not is comical. Also, for a game that is not that great in the graphics department how can they not hit a steady 60fps?

I’ve put about 30 games into my franchise and I’m trying to stick it out but these issues are really trashing it for me. I can’t understand how this game got such great reviews. Prior installments were far superior to the ‘19 edition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: How does anyone enjoy this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy082
I’ve came back to The Show after being away for a few years. I’ve put quite a bit of hours into it since I picked it up during the $30 sale. Some of the different modes and content are really great but there’s one thing I don’t understand. Why does it play such a bad game of baseball on the field?
I enjoy it because I disagree with this statement. I do not find it to play a bad game of baseball. Further, the examples you list are so vague it's tough to have a discussion about them.

Quote:
This game has a ridiculously bad frame rate
Can you define "ridiculously bad"?

Quote:
the amount of broken fielding mechanics you see just in one game is mind numbingly awful
Can you clarify what "broken fielding mechanics" means?

Quote:
the rng hitting is ...frustrating
Can you be more specific here? This seems to be a bigger frustration for online players, but I don't play The Show online so I can't speak to this personally. I haven't had an issue with offline play though.

Quote:
and the circus that takes place in a half inning where the AI is going to score whether you like it or not is comical.
I have not experienced this either. Mix up your pitches better and/or pay closer attention to your pitcher's confidence overall and in each individual pitch?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

OVR: 0

I think it's probably the best version made as a whole package. Sure it's not perfect, but it's a good baseball game.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Hmmm...you had a similar feelings back in 2014 after you were away from the game for a while:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2046295202

And in 2011 you felt the game was scripted:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2042381804

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2042381951

So which versions of the game were "far superior" to that of '19, because your post history in regards to the Show suggests you haven't liked any of them and they all shared similar "flaws" to the ones you mention in this post?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 08-21-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: emoji didn't work...:)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

While I don't think it's the worst MLB game I've ever played, The Show is not the best. To me. But really, we need to let people have an opinion even if it's not our own. So he doesn't like it, so what. he can say whatever he wants can't he? I don't like it that much either. Frame rate isn't an issue for me, I'm more partial to other things in the game not the least of which is the obsession with online content. But that's my issue with every sports game. I haven't played a contemporary sports game (with the exception of FIFA, PES and NBA2K) in years, and even with those, I play older versions as often if not more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

At least he's played 10 more franchise games?

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

He's absolutely allowed to have an opinion.

I just found it odd that this post has the same narrative as the last time he posted about the Show. He hadn't played in years and the games prior were better than the one he's commenting on. But judging from his history, he hasn't liked any of the Show's he's played, at least not the ones in '14 and '11, as he had similar complaints about those games.

I was just curious as to which versions he found superior since he hasn't played in a few years and the last time he posted about the Show he had similar complaints.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

The random hitting results I can deal with. The stuttering frame rate and broken fielding mechanics are frustrating to say the least. I mean it’s 2019, on a PS4 Pro the game should be able to run at a stable 60fps. It’s not a graphical powerhouse by any means. Even the crowd character models are bad so it shouldn’t be bogged down that much unless it’s just a bad engine.

I’ve had numerous instances where breaking pitches appear to skip in because of the frame rate issues. I’m an offline Franchise player only btw.

I’ve seen other threads by more seasoned players that suggest only playing at minor league parks since the game runs better there but to me it takes a lot of the fun away. I just think this and Madden have lagged behind so much over the last 5 years or so because the consumers just give them a free pass because they’re the only games available in their respective sports.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful in any way. I apologize if I came off that way. I guess I just expected more this late in the console generation.

Last edited by bamaboy082; 08-21-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added on

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »