Home

3-4 Fronts

This is a discussion on 3-4 Fronts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
3-4 Fronts

I’m trying to get the hang of what the different fronts are and when or why you would use them. Below is what I can see in regards to the alignment of the fronts but I’m not sure what each one does. Are there certain types of schemes that certain fronts go hand in hand with? I’m using the Bears and I run a pretty vanilla scheme. Not much blitzing and the d line is primarily there to stuff the run while Roquan Smith runs sideline to sideline. It seems like over, under, odd and one of bear or solid would be most useful to me. Any help would be appreciated

Odd-the nose tackle is over the center and the ends are lined up on the inside shoulder of the tackles

Under-the weakside end is on the outside shoulder of the guard, NT is in the strong side A gap and strong side end is on the outside shoulder of the tackle

Over-opposite of the under, the strong side end is on the outside shoulder of the guard, nt is in the weak side a gap and the weak side end is on the outside shoulder of the tackle

Even-weakside end is on the outside shoulder of the tackle, I would imagine this is more of a pass rusher than a run stuffing end because he’s out pretty wide. The nt and the other end are lined over the guards

Solid and Bear-Both have the nt over the center and the ends on the outside shoulder of the guards. Seems like a lot more chaos is going on in the bear front with the LBs and SS

Predator-This looks just like the under front except the weak side olb has his hand in the dirt

Over ED-This looks like a 4-3 under front. Both of my olbs have their hands in the dirt and there is a third olb on the field
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 3-4 Fronts

Odd is balanced, symmetrical front. You aren't really vulnerable to much besides Stretch, but you must have big, strong DL with good BSH to run this front consistently. If your nose or either end can get easily handled by a double team then vulnerabilities will be exposed.

Over/Under fronts attempt to provide extra help setting an edge. The trade off is that the 1-tech/3-tech dichotomy between your interior DL is easily exploitable by knowledgeable play callers. If you want to play these consistently you need *something* to compensate - a stud interior DL, an off ball LB who is good vs. the run, etc.

Bear fronts are for when you want to sell out to stop an interior run. Stetches (again) will kill you.

I don't use Even so I can't give much help there. 3-4 Even has a really limited assortment of plays and lacks most of the coverages I like to use, so I don't bother.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »