Home

Player Tendencies do NOT correlate to in game stats

This is a discussion on Player Tendencies do NOT correlate to in game stats within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Tendencies do NOT correlate to in game stats

Case in point, Russell Westbrook. His 3pt tendency rating is 40 (maybe 45?). However, he jacks up sometimes up to 5 3pt shots before the first timeout of the first quarter. End result? Harden hardly gets any touches.

Another thing I'm noticing is the dish to open man rating just flat out isn't leading to more assist for guys like Jokic and Westbrook not only because they are so shot happy, because when they DO dish to this supposesly open man, he won't shoot it! Especially behind the 3 point line.

2K seems to have gone out of their way this year to make this game too iso happy. It's like the players don't play in concert with each other or something....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Player Tendencies do NOT correlate to in game stats

On sim stats Giannis has jacked up anywhere from 350 to 560 3 point shots, all while shooting sub 30% almost every time I simmed a season.

The stars take too many 3s on sim stats and make too many. Ever year I sim Harden is shooting .450 from 3 and at least .530 overall. Lillard is always over 50% shooting. I think it is the badges and look forward to roster makers stripping away 90% of the badges and using ratings instead.

My take is that they are completely catering to casual fans on this who want to see stars take and make shots.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

This is because Shot 3 Tendency, Spot Up 3 Tendency, Off Screen Shot 3 Tendency, Contested Jumper 3 Tendency, Stepback 3 Tendency, Transition Pull Up 3 Tendency, and Drive Pull Up 3 Tendency all affect gameplay.

You're looking at just his 40 Shot 3 Tendency, meanwhile Westbrook's Spot up 3 Tendency is 70 and his contested 3 Tendency is 70. That, coupled with the fact that his Play Discipline Tendency is 5 while all his Iso Tendencies are 45 or more (45, 45, 55, 65) means he's gonna be shooting a bunch of 3s in game.

If you wanna really get annoyed, take a look at guys who dont shoot 3s at all, guys that have 0 or 5 for Shot 3 Tendency. They still have much more in the Spot up 3 Tendency. Dejounte Murray for example has a 5 Shot 3 Tendency and 75 (yes 75) Spot up 3 Tendency. Guys wondered all last year why Ben Simmons was shooting pull up mids last year, a quick look past his "0" Shot Mid Range Tendency gave the answers.

Some tendencies only affect sim stats, some only gameplay, and many affect both.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 09-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis

The stars take too many 3s on sim stats and make too many. Ever year I sim Harden is shooting .450 from 3 and at least .530 overall. Lillard is always over 50% shooting. I think it is the badges and look forward to roster makers stripping away 90% of the badges and using ratings instead.

My take is that they are completely catering to casual fans on this who want to see stars take and make shots.
Some badges do affect sim stats yes, but also 2k inflated many stars 3 point rating. They also shoot higher percentages due to their higher Offensive Consistency ratings

Old 09-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
Some badges do affect sim stats yes, but also 2k inflated many stars 3 point rating. They also shoot higher percentages due to their higher Offensive Consistency ratings
the reason I suggest badges is because the non stars shoot at a normal rate on sim stats. So you are suggesting a good roster make will downgrade the stars 3 point ratings in almost every case but stick close to the existing ratings on the rank and file. Also they should lower offensive consistency and focus on tendencies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
This is because Shot 3 Tendency, Spot Up 3 Tendency, Off Screen Shot 3 Tendency, Contested Jumper 3 Tendency, Stepback 3 Tendency, Transition Pull Up 3 Tendency, and Drive Pull Up 3 Tendency all affect gameplay.

You're looking at just his 40 Shot 3 Tendency, meanwhile Westbrook's Spot up 3 Tendency is 70 and his contested 3 Tendency is 70. That, coupled with the fact that his Play Discipline Tendency is 5 while all his Iso Tendencies are 45 or more (45, 45, 55, 65) means he's gonna be shooting a bunch of 3s in game.

If you wanna really get annoyed, take a look at guys who dont shoot 3s at all, guys that have 0 or 5 for Shot 3 Tendency. They still have much more in the Spot up 3 Tendency. Dejounte Murray for example has a 5 Shot 3 Tendency and 75 (yes 75) Spot up 3 Tendency. Guys wondered all last year why Ben Simmons was shooting pull up mids last year, a quick look past his "0" Shot Mid Range Tendency gave the answers.

Some tendencies only affect sim stats, some only gameplay, and many affect both.

You are absolutely right. I lowered all those tendencies and the location 3pt tendencies and he shot 3's at a normal-ish rate. Moreso, I also lowered his touches and overall shot tendency, too.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:

Spot-Up Tendencies were boosted league-wide mid-way through 2K19 because people were complaining about players passing up open threes.

Many are at 75 because that's a benchmark for the engine.
I'm sure 75 for Murray is an oversight rather than intentionally by design.

As an amateur roster editor, I occasionally have difficulty finding quality resources for some of these, especially with limited knowledge on how the game engine handles them.

Even the people that do have good ideas often have no idea what's going on under the hood and are mostly guessing. 2K's 3pt Spotup scale had to be modified based on changes made to the game engine over the years. How many tendency editors have copy/pasted scales based on older 2K's that no longer apply?
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
the reason I suggest badges is because the non stars shoot at a normal rate on sim stats. So you are suggesting a good roster make will downgrade the stars 3 point ratings in almost every case but stick close to the existing ratings on the rank and file. Also they should lower offensive consistency and focus on tendencies.
It's just that the stars need to be rated to scale. Some one who is a 37% shooter shouldbt be rated as a 44% shooter because 2k likes his name. I dont personally compensate like youre suggesting, but I do remove alot of badges that are either redundant or a crutch for user gameplay. Many of those affect sim stats as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Even the people that do have good ideas often have no idea what's going on under the hood and are mostly guessing. 2K's 3pt Spotup scale had to be modified based on changes made to the game engine over the years. How many tendency editors have copy/pasted scales based on older 2K's that no longer apply?
100% right.
Most spreadsheets that I see do that. I really try to test every rating, tendency and badge each year. It's tedious of course but it's also fun learning new things that might help your project that others aren't talking about. Ultimately you use your best judgement on a scale for the ones that dont affect sim stats as gameplay only ones (such as the spot up tendencies) are obviously much harder to quantify than simply looking at the season's stats.

Last edited by Mikelopedia; 09-22-2019 at 08:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »