Home

OS Roundtable: Where's Your Excitement Level for Next-Gen?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Where's Your Excitement Level for Next-Gen? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
OS Roundtable: Where's Your Excitement Level for Next-Gen?

Did the first sight of the Xbox Series X -- and the news about MLB The...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: OS Roundtable: Where's Your Excitement Level for Next-Gen?

As someone who grew up playing the atari 2600 and enjoying games with simple stick figures.....

Im extremely pumped for the next gen of consoles . Already started saving up money ahead of time .

But im not at all excited about sports games for it . Mainly because they have proven over the past 10 years the yearly cycle is really hindering them and they have no plans to change their model (Especially Madden) .

But i play a lot of games other than sports games so for that .... its going to be awesome .

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 12-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

I agree. I always like seeing how gaming advances in terms of graphics with each new system release. However, I have little to no faith that sports games will be better (in my eyes). It always feels like the first few releases have something stripped down to work, or we hear bout coding issues preventing things. Unless game developers are already working to tear down old code (looking at your Madden), it will be more to the same from developers.

Of course, the business part (dlc/micro-transactions) of all companies will only get greater and greater, which is always hinders things. I get it from a business sense, but it severely gets in the way.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
Rookie

ILuvMN81's Arena

OVR: 0
Call it something along the lines of love/hate.

I do "love" (kind of strong...it's more of a like...) seeing the upgrade in technology and thinking about the potential for the new system. PS4/XBone are now light years ahead of the previous generation (let alone the one prior to that) so it's exciting to see what's coming next.

The "hate": I don't like having to* purchase another new console. I don't know if it will be a soft phase out (a la PS4 and lesser extant Xbox 360) or if the planned obsolescence will come quickly. If we have like an 18-24 month cycle were the new generation matures while the old one is phased out, fine.*

I also have to say I agree that there might not be a lot to look forward to with sports gaming. We'll see!
Old 12-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Rookie

Balldude777's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm interested in seeing how much of an improvement games will be visually. I saw the trailer for Godfall and honestly would have thought it was running on a PS4. Maybe we are getting to a point where the graphics won't improve all that much. I'll still be buying for other reasons but my expectations are low as far as that goes. I am hoping for true to life animations and physics, especially when it comes to player movement. I think I am most excited about seeing the AI improvements and hopefully depth of game modes and customization.

I think this might be the worst time for sports game progression simply because there is literally no competition for each big sport. That along with the recent rise of Ultimate Team and micro transactions will be another reason that will slow progression into this gen at least for us franchise players. I believe it will still be good, just not going to meet its potential.

Biggest excitement though for next gen, NCAA Football 22.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5
Not very excited because I play VR games and they have still yet to address that
Old 12-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

right now its pretty low. the potential is no doubt there, but until I hear what upgrades are coming to MLB the Show, I'll reserve my excitement when I hear what I wanna hear.or if I hear NCAA football and/or basketball is returning, I'll accelerate my timetable to a day one purchase. but I'm not holding my breath in the interim. on a 1-10 scale Excitement Level, colour me a 2.

A Work in Progress
Old 12-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
right now its pretty low. the potential is no doubt there, but until I hear what upgrades are coming to MLB the Show, I'll reserve my excitement when I hear what I wanna hear.or if I hear NCAA football and/or basketball is returning, I'll accelerate my timetable to a day one purchase. but I'm not holding my breath in the interim. on a 1-10 scale Excitement Level, colour me a 2.

I agree. NCAA football possibly returning changes my view. Day one buy for console and game. Unfortunately, not much else moves the needle.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »