Home

A question for historical roster makers

This is a discussion on A question for historical roster makers within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
A question for historical roster makers

From my understanding the whole H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 numbers in the game are basically used for simming games; and that the break and control attributes are used for playing the game. So it seems that the control rating is an average of the pitcher's control for his different pitches, whereas the break rating is his highest rating for one pitch. Sure you can figure out a guy like Nolan Ryan would have a 99 break rating due to all his strikeouts based on statistics. But since there are no stats in regards to strike or whiff amount for each individual pitch, then how do you determine ratings for his secondary pitches? Is there a formula you guys use? Very curious on what the expert roster makers come up with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
Rookie

CrimsonLeal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A question for historical roster makers

When I made historical and throwback rosters, I usually based control off of the pitcher's walk stats. I would check out their season stats and see how many walks they'd give up compared to how many innings they would pitch. As for movement, I would usually just give the better pitchers of the era the better movement rating on just about all pitches. Most people who are gonna download throwback rosters are gonna wanna play with the legends and HoF'ers, not spend a bunch of time messing around with a bunch of old, forgotten players. So the need to have a big rating deficit between good and bad players was a big part of making a historical roster.

It would also depend on the era of which the roster took place. There are a lot of pitches in MLB 19 that either didn't exists, or really wasn't popular in the 50's, 60's, 80's etc. Wouldn't really make sense to give someone like Whitey Ford a Vulcanchange, or Luis Tiant a slurve.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

My information was incorrect. After pitching games where I rated my pitcher 99 in K/9 and BB/9 and 0 in break and control for all his pitches I was able to average a strikeout an inning on legend mode. I actually found it easier to pitch without all the movement on the pitch.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub65
From my understanding the whole H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 numbers in the game are basically used for simming games; and that the break and control attributes are used for playing the game. So it seems that the control rating is an average of the pitcher's control for his different pitches, whereas the break rating is his highest rating for one pitch. Sure you can figure out a guy like Nolan Ryan would have a 99 break rating due to all his strikeouts based on statistics. But since there are no stats in regards to strike or whiff amount for each individual pitch, then how do you determine ratings for his secondary pitches? Is there a formula you guys use? Very curious on what the expert roster makers come up with.
for movement I use FIP, then use that break rating as the starting point for whichever pitch a pitcher throws that typically has the most movement. for instance I'm recreating a pitcher with a 4-seamer, a 2-seamer, a curveball and a changeup, I'd set the curveball first with whatever rating I come up with, lets just say 78 as an example. then I move on to the next pitch that would normally have the most movement, the changeup. I'd give that a 68. then on to his third pitch with most movement, his 2-seamer, I'd set that at 58. and finally his fourth pitch, the least movement typically, the 4-seamer I'd set at 48.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »