Home

useing openers in 20

This is a discussion on useing openers in 20 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
useing openers in 20

is anyone going to try and utilize the new trend of openers is this years upcoming game. If so do you think there is goimg to need to be slider modifications when you do to account for starter stamina when they come in as a relief pitcher or does the game know a pitcher is a starter and use starting pitcher stamina sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: useing openers in 20

It’s easy use openers just start them you can start any pitcher you want before game starts

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
Rookie

I used my two LRPs as starters when an injury occurs if I don't want to call someone up for a single start
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I used the opener strategy in The Show 19. I use the Yankees, so I'd always start Chad Green when I needed to.

It worked fine. It's just annoying that commentary doesn't recognize it and when I take him out after 2 or 3 innings they give negative commentary like "you know this is not the start they were hoping for, obviously they wanted more length out of him"....but it is what it is.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkprime 21
is anyone going to try and utilize the new trend of openers is this years upcoming game. If so do you think there is goimg to need to be slider modifications when you do to account for starter stamina when they come in as a relief pitcher or does the game know a pitcher is a starter and use starting pitcher stamina sliders?
They DO seem to use the RP stamina slider because they are coming out of the pen...so to your other question.

On MLB19, I run with SP stamina at 6 and RP stamina at 5 and it has worked extremely well across the board for me. I mention that because when using that setup, I've run lower-stamina starters out of the bullpen and while they do fatigue at a faster rate coming out of the pen, I'm also just trying to get 60-65 pitches or so out of them. I can usually very comfortably hit that mark with my setup. So, I think it would be viable for an "opener" scenario (I imagine default stamina values would be OK too).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
MVP

I refuse to adjust sliders but the issue of stamina in franchise is a major flaw. Every pitcher's stamina declines -1 point per year which makes it a waste of time to draft any pitcher who doesn't have stamina at minimum in the mid 80's because by the time they get to MLB they will decline a few points and they continue to decline throughout their career.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I refuse to adjust sliders but the issue of stamina in franchise is a major flaw. Every pitcher's stamina declines -1 point per year which makes it a waste of time to draft any pitcher who doesn't have stamina at minimum in the mid 80's because by the time they get to MLB they will decline a few points and they continue to decline throughout their career.
Sometimes you have to play "God" in Franchise mode.

If you see an unrealistic decline in stamina (or any rating) you can edit the player and normalize that rating. I hate playing with stuff like this because it is hard to be objective, but I rather that than for it to be arbitrarily bad just because the ratings logic is off.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Sometimes you have to play "God" in Franchise mode.

If you see an unrealistic decline in stamina (or any rating) you can edit the player and normalize that rating. I hate playing with stuff like this because it is hard to be objective, but I rather that than for it to be arbitrarily bad just because the ratings logic is off.
This is one of the annoying things about franchise mode for me (that sometimes editing prospects feels necessary) but also one of the reasons I keep playing (because we have the freedom to fix what we don't like).

In my franchise right now, it's 2031. A good portion of MLB teams don't have a competent starting third baseman in the majors, and almost no one has a good 3B prospect. A lot of teams are forced to play guys out of position at third because the game simply hasn't generated more than a few solid prospects at that position in a decade-plus. And often the "good" prospects at third have like 50 arm strength.

Meanwhile, I just tried to trade a pretty solid LF prospect (23 years old, good defense, solid hitter, 78 overall with low-80s potential) who I figured could grow into a starter for a lot of teams in the near future. But pretty much everyone, even the worst teams in MLB, had four or five 80+ outfielders already on their major league roster. Ended up just making my outfielder a third baseman and trading him to a team who needed one.

I've edited several starting pitchers into relievers because their stamina is horrible. I've also upped stamina for pitchers. Lately I've been editing their individual pitches quite a bit, because I've found their control/break/velocity are pretty awful compared to the real players on the default roster. Seems all the top generated pitchers kinda stay with their mediocre pitch selection, and since that doesn't (to my knowledge) affect simmed games, it seems pretty fair to make some guys nastier than the game allowed.

Another thing that drove me to God mode: the huge number of mid-30s ex-major leaguers blocking prospects in the minors. I had way too many teams paying six-figure salaries to guys with no hope of ever making it back to the majors, and the actual prospects on that team weren't developing like they should because they weren't playing. Editing the age for all those guys to the max (45, I think) at the end of the season forced many into retirement, which cleared the way for a lot of prospects to finally get PT.

Really wish we had the option to add/change player-controlled teams after a franchise starts. Would make things much easier on people who occasionally want to go into God mode but didn't think 30-team control was necessary when they started the franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »