Home

My impression after a hundred or so games...and a few bottles of Jameson

This is a discussion on My impression after a hundred or so games...and a few bottles of Jameson within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
My impression after a hundred or so games...and a few bottles of Jameson

As the title states...I figured I would provide my impression after a 100 or so games (across all modes).

Background:

Grew up in SD, on Mission Gorge Rd. (Google it, I was about 1000ft away from the ballpark on the hill). I had the PRIVILEGE of watching Tony Gwynn play everyday.

Been playing this game since initial release and everything before it since...around the time the home pc became affordable.

Before this year I played on Legend (this year started with Hof both sides but will switch to Legend when comfortable)--both sides with Mike Lowe's sliders (best sliders in my opinion). Meter pitching with a mix of directional and PCI depending on what was better for the release. Also used button fielding and manual baserunning. I do not sim games for the team I play. I play about 1000 hours (maybe more, forgot to look the last couple years) and play all year from release to release, at least 5 days a week. I don't play PVP anymore as I live in a small town in Germany now and my internet connection is trash. 80% of my playtime is spent in Franchise with a fair amount of that time spent fixing rosters and attributes for ALL players (my base rosters are uploaded by Ridin- Big thank you to him and his team!). SDS does a decent job but in recent years have missed the mark regarding rosters (among other things). I don't stream and I don't upload my rosters (although I am willing to help anyone that requests).

Not sure if I hit all the background info but I've been drinking so if you want to know something ask…

To the meat:

DD: Guess I'll start with this mode since it's first on the screen.

When DD first started I was really excited. I had played Madden the year before and was excited for the potential that a baseball game could offer. I must have played 200 online games the first year it was available. I played quite well (mainly because it was a new mode and I had experience from Madden).

Since the first year my excitement and ability in this mode has faded. Although I can man a quality team and have the ability to win without spending money--I've found that people that spend money and streamers absolutely rake. Therefore, I resorted to playing DD against the computer which brought minimal fun…

I've spent 10 hours in this mode for 2020 and have a 88 overall team. I know for a fact that I would lose vs. almost everybody that plays this mode regardless of my ability due to $$$$. I tried an online game once this year and the first team I played was Healy (most people on this forum know who he is). Bad luck I guess but killed DD for me. Not to mention the bugs and glitches from release. Maddux' ERA stopped at 0.90 (bug) but should have been INF.

Done with that mode!

March to October:

Played the mode last year. MEH. Rewards assist DD but I lost interest quickly due to lack of team control.

RTTS: My second most played mode. I have fun with this, I love me some me!

In previous years it was palpable regardless of random bugs and position changes but playable none the less. In 2020 I have to make a position player because my pitcher would spend 5 years in the minors due to the hitting…(I can't talk about the well documented meatballs and other bugs, it just makes me mad).

Until there's a quality update, I've forgotten this mode.

Now to my baby…

Franchise:

From the start, sooooooo many bugs. I could quote myself in saying that '20 was made by toddlers but I won't expand as it has been well documented and I would be beating a dead horse.

Until update 1.05 and the roster update as of 03.27 the mode was absolutely unplayable. Now that I have my modified rosters (built from Ridins' base) I finally feel the game is playable.

It is missing the true progression and some players which we were promised over and over from release, ugh (ex. A.J. Puk), the mode finally has correct stats in the score bug and gameplay is the best that MLB has ever had to offer. Animations are smooth for the first time (although tags could be better).

Fielding can take a minute to get used to but once you have the hang of the new CPU aggressiveness it plays better (I can finally get assists with Outfielders!!!!). Hitting is ok once you have a handle on the sliders and pitching is also ok but requires an update (attributes matter this year!).

I hope to start my actual franchise by the end of April this year (F-ing Pandemic) but whatever, I fought 3 wars so I'm used to doing more with less…

Overall:

2020 is the best of the series by far. Gameplay is amazing. A lot has been omitted as far as players having correct stats, equipment, movements, etc.

The bugs from release were horrendous. NON-DEBATEABLE! But they're getting fixed slowly and SDS listens to the community for most things (Don't get me started on legacy bugs…).

When I have good contact and it turns out to be a "can of corn" I naturally get upset.

I want the ability to edit EVERYTHING in Franchise. That is OUR Legacy mode and we should have that option. Punkt! Thema durch. (Point, end theme)

Homeruns from pitchers and others, meatballs...need I say more.

All in all, I think this game is slowly becoming playable after the disaster of a release it had. I respect the fact that SDS has done as much as they can with the improvements they have made over last month regardless of current events (big applause for the current updates ad-hoc, I didn't expect anything till the end of April, at least). This has the potential and should naturally be the best release of the console generation.

I am excited to see what the next engine and generation has in store. In truth, I think there's one more release before the next console but who knows these days.

Currently: 7.5/10

After major bugs fixed: 9/10

My MLB '19 rating as of WS: 8.5/10

Stay classy! Sorry for the long read/rant. Jameson tastes good. Wooooooo! Daw gonnit, I cannot wait for baseball to start!!!!!!

Don't be a soup sandwich.

Was present for an Ozzie backflip in St. Louis when I was 4...changed my life.

I live for this.

Last edited by JAYtheVET; 03-27-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: My impression after a hundred or so games...and a few bottles of Jameson

there is an entire thread for your impressions. You don't need to create your very own
Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
there is an entire thread for your impressions. You don't need to create your very own
Too late

I live for this.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYtheVET
Too late

Honestly this was worth its own thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYtheVET
As the title states...I figured I would provide my impression after a 100 or so games (across all modes).

Background:

Grew up in SD, on Mission Gorge Rd. (Google it, I was about 1000ft away from the ballpark on the hill). I had the PRIVILEGE of watching Tony Gwynn play everyday.

Been playing this game since initial release and everything before it since...around the time the home pc became affordable.

Before this year I played on Legend (this year started with Hof both sides but will switch to Legend when comfortable)--both sides with Mike Lowe's sliders (best sliders in my opinion). Meter pitching with a mix of directional and PCI depending on what was better for the release. Also used button fielding and manual baserunning. I do not sim games for the team I play. I play about 1000 hours (maybe more, forgot to look the last couple years) and play all year from release to release, at least 5 days a week. I don't play PVP anymore as I live in a small town in Germany now and my internet connection is trash. 80% of my playtime is spent in Franchise with a fair amount of that time spent fixing rosters and attributes for ALL players (my base rosters are uploaded by Ridin- Big thank you to him and his team!). SDS does a decent job but in recent years have missed the mark regarding rosters (among other things). I don't stream and I don't upload my rosters (although I am willing to help anyone that requests).

Not sure if I hit all the background info but I've been drinking so if you want to know something ask…

To the meat:

DD: Guess I'll start with this mode since it's first on the screen.

When DD first started I was really excited. I had played Madden the year before and was excited for the potential that a baseball game could offer. I must have played 200 online games the first year it was available. I played quite well (mainly because it was a new mode and I had experience from Madden).

Since the first year my excitement and ability in this mode has faded. Although I can man a quality team and have the ability to win without spending money--I've found that people that spend money and streamers absolutely rake. Therefore, I resorted to playing DD against the computer which brought minimal fun…

I've spent 10 hours in this mode for 2020 and have a 88 overall team. I know for a fact that I would lose vs. almost everybody that plays this mode regardless of my ability due to $$$$. I tried an online game once this year and the first team I played was Healy (most people on this forum know who he is). Bad luck I guess but killed DD for me. Not to mention the bugs and glitches from release. Maddux' ERA stopped at 0.90 (bug) but should have been INF.

Done with that mode!

March to October:

Played the mode last year. MEH. Rewards assist DD but I lost interest quickly due to lack of team control.

RTTS: My second most played mode. I have fun with this, I love me some me!

In previous years it was palpable regardless of random bugs and position changes but playable none the less. In 2020 I have to make a position player because my pitcher would spend 5 years in the minors due to the hitting…(I can't talk about the well documented meatballs and other bugs, it just makes me mad).

Until there's a quality update, I've forgotten this mode.

Now to my baby…

Franchise:

From the start, sooooooo many bugs. I could quote myself in saying that '20 was made by toddlers but I won't expand as it has been well documented and I would be beating a dead horse.

Until update 1.05 and the roster update as of 03.27 the mode was absolutely unplayable. Now that I have my modified rosters (built from Ridins' base) I finally feel the game is playable.

It is missing the true progression and some players which we were promised over and over from release, ugh (ex. A.J. Puk), the mode finally has correct stats in the score bug and gameplay is the best that MLB has ever had to offer. Animations are smooth for the first time (although tags could be better).

Fielding can take a minute to get used to but once you have the hang of the new CPU aggressiveness it plays better (I can finally get assists with Outfielders!!!!). Hitting is ok once you have a handle on the sliders and pitching is also ok but requires an update (attributes matter this year!).

I hope to start my actual franchise by the end of April this year (F-ing Pandemic) but whatever, I fought 3 wars so I'm used to doing more with less…

Overall:

2020 is the best of the series by far. Gameplay is amazing. A lot has been omitted as far as players having correct stats, equipment, movements, etc.

The bugs from release were horrendous. NON-DEBATEABLE! But they're getting fixed slowly and SDS listens to the community for most things (Don't get me started on legacy bugs…).

When I have good contact and it turns out to be a "can of corn" I naturally get upset.

I want the ability to edit EVERYTHING in Franchise. That is OUR Legacy mode and we should have that option. Punkt! Thema durch. (Point, end theme)

Homeruns from pitchers and others, meatballs...need I say more.

All in all, I think this game is slowly becoming playable after the disaster of a release it had. I respect the fact that SDS has done as much as they can with the improvements they have made over last year regardless of current events (big applause for the current updates ad-hoc, I didn't expect anything till the end of April, at least). This has the potential and should naturally be the best release of the console generation.

I am excited to see what the next engine and generation has in store. In truth, I think there's one more release bevor the next console but who knows these days.

Currently: 7.5/10

After major bugs fixed: 9/10

My MLB '19 rating as of WS: 8.5/10

Stay classy! Sorry for the long read/rant. Jameson tastes good. Wooooooo! Daw gonnit, I cannot wait for baseball to start!!!!!!

Don't be a soup sandwich.

Thanks for your service.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina30
Thanks for your service.
Never what I'm looking for but thank you for your support. You have anything to add regarding the game? Additions to my ideas? I'm interested to know what you think about this release.

I live for this.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I haven't put in a hundred yet but I'm getting there. so I'm sticking with my 1st impression for now. pleased as punch in my purchase. once I get my rosters twerked the way I want, I'll double my daily dosage.

ol' Doc Caulfield says take two double-plays, and call me tomorrow.
and change granny's rheumatism medicine from Jameson to Grey Goose.

#BacardiRocks

A Work in Progress
Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I haven't put in a hundred yet but I'm getting there. so I'm sticking with my 1st impression for now. pleased as punch in my purchase. once I get my rosters twerked the way I want, I'll double my daily dosage.

ol' Doc Caulfield says take two double-plays, and call me tomorrow.
and change granny's rheumatism medicine from Jameson to Grey Goose.

#BacardiRocks
More LOL!! Ruined myself on the Wodka during service time (doesn't stink when you sweat). I love the game too ('20), just thought I'd provide my 2 cents. I'll post actual stuff when I think the game is worthy in the franchise post. For the moment I wanted the relative "noobs" to know the deal.

I live for this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »