Home

Spring Training yes or no

This is a discussion on Spring Training yes or no within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Spring Training yes or no

Hey guys, in my slider testing phase while rocking the Show 19 and going to obviously going to start a fictional franchise with Bacons awesome roster, I got to thinking....should I play spring training or just skip it.

I'm just wondering what you guys do, is it beneficial to play it? or is it nothing more than a time killer....do you evaluate talent? or just go with what you have on opening day.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Spring Training yes or no

I get tired of spring training quickly, so I usually skip it unless there's an important position battle

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2

I never skip it outright, sometimes I’ll quick manage it just to keep the immersion and let the position battles play out organically.

This year I’m playing it though, until I can settle on realistic difficulty and sliders.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMaxxx13
I never skip it outright, sometimes I’ll quick manage it just to keep the immersion and let the position battles play out organically.

This year I’m playing it though, until I can settle on realistic difficulty and sliders.
This is what I'm currently doing by playing a bunch of play now games....but doing this makes better sense, thanks for the idea
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 04-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

I use it to evaluate talent, test new pitching, batting and baserunning strategies, and to kick the tires on offseason acquisitions and players who went through serious attribute swings the last season.

Think of it as a pre-season 40 man shakedown test. As soon as I feel I'm ready I'll head to the regular season. I've finished as soon as the halfway point and have reached the end more than a few times, but I probably most often end about 3/4 of the way through.

I know this last part isn't very realistic, but I also use it to identify potential issues and weaknesses in my team, and (current strategy depending) either make trades or identify potential trade targets if it ends up being appropriate come the trade deadline.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
bb9
Rookie

bb9's Arena

OVR: 4

162 games to figure things out. Skip it!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I play every game from Spring Training thru when my season ends.

Spring Training gives me a chance to get accustomed to newly acquired talent, or young guys on the 40 man roster. It gives me a chance to tinker with lineups and figure out where guys may fit best. It gives me a chance to figure out where guys belong in the organization and if they belong in the organization. It gives me a chance to play 28-30 games, be in pressure situations with my current club, without being in a pressure situation to see how things play out.

I also play using minor league parks, the spring training parks, and classic stadiums just to mix things up.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #8
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

Love playing it! Can play without worrying about wins and losses and evaluate roster bubble guys. I also used to play it to set my level when I used dynamic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »