Home

FIFA 20: Grading the Player Progression System

This is a discussion on FIFA 20: Grading the Player Progression System within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
FIFA 20: Grading the Player Progression System

In part one, I broke down FIFA 20's player training development system. It’s a long read but...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: FIFA 20: Grading the Player Progression System

I'm really enjoying my manager career now that I'm in season two and progressing players is a big part of that. I started by developing a few younger first-teamers in key areas for their roles. Once I started to fill my youth academy, I shifted my training focus to two particularly promising players - a defensive minded LB and a technically gifted LM. Both are now in the low to mid 70s and pushing for regular playing time.

Most recently, a rash of midfield injuries, including my captain rupturing his ACL in October, has me scrambling to keep my midfielders fresh. I'm playing that LB as an LDM, called up the LM, and also trying to frantically train up a 66ovr 20yo CM (real player, not youth) so he's at least playable.

Gotta agree with KG, the system is pretty well done. The only thing I'd like to see added outside of weak foot and skills improvement is some sort of mechanic for changing a players position or adding secondary positions (even if it doesn't really matter).
Old 04-22-2020, 03:51 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 20: Grading the Player Progression System

I also really like the training and player progression elements of Fifa.

In particular, they make it viable to take a lower league club and greatly improve them. With a limited transfer budget, you can't afford to be splashing big money in the transfer market every time the window rolls around. Instead, while it costs to spend money on the scouts up front, training and developing players once you've found them is free. These players can then either contribute to the team, or be moved on for a profit. This is also how many of the lower league teams actually run, so it feels realistic to take this approach.

I don't like it quite so much for bigger clubs, simply because the chance of finding a player good enough to start for a Premier League side is so low, even after devoting training sessions to a player. However, I would definitely dislike it more if you could just find a 70 OVR 16 year old every single season so it's not so bad.

The only other gripe I have with it is speed and acceleration. They're both always so low with youngsters. I feel like speed and acceleration should be much higher for a large number of players, and their technical and mental attribut s should be lowered to accustom for the rise. Young players' bodies are fresh and nimble. They shouldn't all have 62 speed 60 acceleration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »