Home

CPU Defensive Settings

This is a discussion on CPU Defensive Settings within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
CPU Defensive Settings

I was playing a game vs the CPU and noticed the Help Defense is pretty bad. I switched my controller side to the CPU Team momentarily to make adjustments so I can buff up the help from the CPU, mainly in the paint.

I wanted to have the CPU double team the post player on dribble, or even dig to momentarily try and get a steal before getting back to his man. I love it when I try posting up with Kevin Durant and the double teams come, it forces me to pass out and makes me have to be very quick/strategic to get into position to execute a post move.

So I made the adjustments, switched back to my team, and the CPU does absolutely nothing when I am in the post - on all settings.

This was in Scrimmage mode though, but does it even matter?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: CPU Defensive Settings

Was it a mismatch when KD posts? CPU just ignores mismatch post for some reason, no matter the defensive settings.

You could get some effect when settings CPU to "dig". But its all very bad.

Plus, i think CPU is more prone to help in the post when playing M2M defense.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedreanu
Was it a mismatch when KD posts? CPU just ignores mismatch post for some reason, no matter the defensive settings.

You could get some effect when settings CPU to "dig". But its all very bad.

Plus, i think CPU is more prone to help in the post when playing M2M defense.
Maybe it was a mismatch, but is there a way to have the CPU double team in the post at all times? I tried to change their settings, I posted up with Jarrett Allen on Bam, but nobody came over and helped.

I'd love it if they came over once the post player started dribbling (there is an option), then you'd have to be quick about it.

Let me know.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Maybe it was a mismatch, but is there a way to have the CPU double team in the post at all times? I tried to change their settings, I posted up with Jarrett Allen on Bam, but nobody came over and helped.

I'd love it if they came over once the post player started dribbling (there is an option), then you'd have to be quick about it.

Let me know.
Unfortunately not. Double Team Logic mostly seems to be driven by ACE this year. You can try setting the team’s double team logic to Dig and you should see help rotations (depending on the matchup)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Unfortunately not. Double Team Logic mostly seems to be driven by ACE this year. You can try setting the team’s double team logic to Dig and you should see help rotations (depending on the matchup)
I was in Scrimmage, switched over to the CPU Team and made the adjustments accordingly:

Double Team on Dig--- Nothing
Double Team on Dribble--- Nothing
Double Team immediately upon Post-up---- Nothing

What would be the next option? That is how I want the CPU to play me. I'd rather a Double Team come once I start dribbling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
I was in Scrimmage, switched over to the CPU Team and made the adjustments accordingly:

Double Team on Dig--- Nothing
Double Team on Dribble--- Nothing
Double Team immediately upon Post-up---- Nothing

What would be the next option? That is how I want the CPU to play me. I'd rather a Double Team come once I start dribbling.
Try maxing out HelpD attribute for all players then see if that changes something. If yes, try lowering the values until you find a treshold.

Other options: experiment with M2M and zonal defenses, and also, try setting PROTECT THE PAINT as defensive focus, then try with PROTECT PERIMETER defense, and observe what happens.

There is really no other way than a lot of tries and failures and a lot of wasted time.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedreanu
Try maxing out HelpD attribute for all players then see if that changes something. If yes, try lowering the values until you find a treshold.

Other options: experiment with M2M and zonal defenses, and also, try setting PROTECT THE PAINT as defensive focus, then try with PROTECT PERIMETER defense, and observe what happens.

There is really no other way than a lot of tries and failures and a lot of wasted time.
Full court pressure on the ball handler doesn't work too. I never seen my playmaker guarding is opponent early, after inbound pass.

The "live" defensive options should works (leave him, make him shoot...). I mean the defensive options, you can manage it after press the Dpad
Old 05-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goma76
Full court pressure on the ball handler doesn't work too. I never seen my playmaker guarding is opponent early, after inbound pass.

The "live" defensive options should works (leave him, make him shoot...). I mean the defensive options, you can manage it after press the Dpad
The only way I've been able to get AI/CPU teams to maintain the Coaching POE's is to change the controller to the CPU team, call a timeout, and set them through the timeout menus. They remain active that way, but otherwise they remain on defaults (or ACE specific settings).

It's a hassle to waste a timeout for each team at the start of a game, but it's worth it to get Offensive Freestyle/Series & Points of Emphasis right for these games. Especially since I'm mostly in CPU/CPU games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »