Home

2k's Obsession with Shooting Cheese

This is a discussion on 2k's Obsession with Shooting Cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
2k's Obsession with Shooting Cheese

Shooting in the online mycareer modes Park/Proam/Rec is so out of control that it dominates every single feature of the game from turning bad shot selection into reliable shots to turning should be offensively challenged builds into god builds it is ludicrous. Lockdown Centers hitting the 3 every single time they are left open, missing easy layups but hitting hook shots at a 90% clip, teams consistently shooting 80% from 3 in proam, guaranteed losses if you shoot less then %50 in any comp game, playing 5 out with no pure shooting builds, dribble spam into spinback quick stop 3s, 40 foot 3s banging at over %70, the 2k league using toned down builds still shooting 60-70 from deep.

As long as shooting is so overpowered the game will be a joke of a simulation and will never amount to anything more than a cheese fest. Sure maybe they feel the youtube culture prefers this kind of ridiculous gameplay and it generates them more money but I hope they have to live with some discomfort knowing that they sold out the integrity of the game for a cash in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2k's Obsession with Shooting Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Shooting in the online mycareer modes Park/Proam/Rec is so out of control that it dominates every single feature of the game from turning bad shot selection into reliable shots to turning should be offensively challenged builds into god builds it is ludicrous. Lockdown Centers hitting the 3 every single time they are left open, missing easy layups but hitting hook shots at a 90% clip, teams consistently shooting 80% from 3 in proam, guaranteed losses if you shoot less then %50 in any comp game, playing 5 out with no pure shooting builds, dribble spam into spinback quick stop 3s, 40 foot 3s banging at over %70, the 2k league using toned down builds still shooting 60-70 from deep.

As long as shooting is so overpowered the game will be a joke of a simulation and will never amount to anything more than a cheese fest. Sure maybe they feel the youtube culture prefers this kind of ridiculous gameplay and it generates them more money but I hope they have to live with some discomfort knowing that they sold out the integrity of the game for a cash in.
The biggest culprit are those precious "greens" that everyone is after that don't really even reflect a basketball skill. Shot timing should be a modifier of make percentage at most. Until that happens, shooting percentages will remain insane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
MVP

tru11's Arena

OVR: 0

Its what the masses want apparently....

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
Its what the masses want apparently....

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I agree even perfectly timed shots shouldn't go in automatically. But 2K has created a monster. They've built the expectation up that the great timing 'skill' can make up for anything and now people will riot if they take it away. I think eventually people would adjust but 2K (and frankly most game developers) believe in a 'please the crowd' mentality and want to avoid any risk.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I don't think it's possible to please 2K's entire audience with one game-wide shooting setting.

We just need to have a few different shooting settings available in the game:

Simulated (only available in offline modes)
User timing does not matter at all; only the ratings, badges, and shot contest level are taken into account when determining whether or not a shot goes in.

Realistic
There are no 100% sure makes or 0% sure misses and perfect timing only gives you the best chance of winning the dice roll while bad timing decreases your odds of scoring but does not carry as big a penalty as the competitive mode, where mistimed shots will never go in under any circumstances. Shooting percentages, regardless of user timing, can only fluctuate between the floor (25%) and ceiling (45%) of current NBA performance levels.

Competitive
If you "green" a shot it goes in every time but if you "white" a shot it misses every time. Ratings, badges, and shot contest level determine how difficult it is to "green" a given shot. Shooting percentages will fully reflect the shot selection and shot timing abilities of the player and can range from 100% to 0%.

Last edited by jyoung; 07-29-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I agree even perfectly timed shots shouldn't go in automatically. But 2K has created a monster. They've built the expectation up that the great timing 'skill' can make up for anything and now people will riot if they take it away. I think eventually people would adjust but 2K (and frankly most game developers) believe in a 'please the crowd' mentality and want to avoid any risk.
it’s definitely not going nowhere and it’s at a point now where a certain crowd thinks full whites shouldn’t fall..its green or bust for the sake of “skill”.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I don't think it's possible to please 2K's entire audience with one game-wide shooting setting.

User timing does not matter at all; only the ratings, badges, and shot contest level are taken into account when determining whether or not a shot goes in.

Realistic
There are no 100% sure makes or 0% sure misses and perfect timing only gives you the best chance of winning the dice roll while bad timing hurts your odds of scoring but does not carry as big a penalty as the competitive mode, where mistimed shots will never go in under any circumstances.

Competitive
If you "green" a shot it goes in every time but if you "white" a shot it misses every time. Ratings, badges, and shot contest level determine how difficult it is to "green" a given shot.
the first suggestion is called real fg% and it works online. helps those with latency issues but handicaps them as your ceiling is lower than one that uses timing.

comp doesnt even sound like basketball. sounds like something that cod crowd brought over.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

Realistic
There are no 100% sure makes or 0% sure misses and perfect timing only gives you the best chance of winning the dice roll while bad timing decreases your odds of scoring but does not carry as big a penalty as the competitive mode, where mistimed shots will never go in under any circumstances. Shooting percentages, regardless of user timing, can only fluctuate between the floor (25%) and ceiling (45%) of current NBA performance levels.

Competitive
If you "green" a shot it goes in every time but if you "white" a shot it misses every time. Ratings, badges, and shot contest level determine how difficult it is to "green" a given shot. Shooting percentages will fully reflect the shot selection and shot timing abilities of the player and can range from 100% to 0%.
The only reason I don't like this idea is that "greens" and "whites" are wholly arbitrary. As someone who plays competitively, the "Realistic" slider set would be my ideal. As it stands currently, not all shots released in the "green window" actually go "green." Further, no meter gives an artificial advantage in that regard. Change that and I can get on board with this idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »