Home

Classic pitching frustration

This is a discussion on Classic pitching frustration within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

OVR: 0
Classic pitching frustration

What’s up,

This isn’t a question really more than me just venting. I made the change from zone/ meter to directional/ classic. Honestly I don’t think I hit any better or worse with directional. Classic pitching to me just feels like I’m pitching on a higher level lol. I just feel like it’s random. I literally have no idea where the ball is going. I’ve read a lot about it and there’s so many contradicting information on what actually works with it. I’m convinced there’s no real answer after about 100 games. It’s a dice roll and just close your eyes and pray lol. I’m sure I’m missing something. I do somehow still enjoy it because I feel like I just can put the ball anywhere I want and hit the target regardless of who I’m pitching with when using meter. Who knows?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Classic pitching frustration

I'm sure many of us Classic only players will chime in here over time. To me, classic is all about the pitcher ratings. Sure you can hold down X longer to increase spend or break, but at the end of the day - player ratings trump everything. What i like most about it is that i have to pay attention to what pitches are landing close to the desired area and which aren't. Like real life, the majority of pitches can't spot ALL of their pitches in the same game. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Dowie
Old 10-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
Pro

GainzBro's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyoueven85
What’s up,

This isn’t a question really more than me just venting. I made the change from zone/ meter to directional/ classic. Honestly I don’t think I hit any better or worse with directional. Classic pitching to me just feels like I’m pitching on a higher level lol. I just feel like it’s random. I literally have no idea where the ball is going. I’ve read a lot about it and there’s so many contradicting information on what actually works with it. I’m convinced there’s no real answer after about 100 games. It’s a dice roll and just close your eyes and pray lol. I’m sure I’m missing something. I do somehow still enjoy it because I feel like I just can put the ball anywhere I want and hit the target regardless of who I’m pitching with when using meter. Who knows?
Try turning off the ball icon and vibration. It's a new challenge, it's fun, it's a simulation feel and you have to really pitch by feel and instinct.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

You really have to learn what works for each pitcher. Every start will be different they'll have off days and days where the look like Cy Young winners. Also knowing the opposition is key just because your pitcher can through a wicked sinker if your up against a batter that just feasts on low balls you might need to rethink your approach.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I know this is off topic, but I've always wondered why pulse pitching is so unpopular here on OS. Seems to me to be the perfect blend of user input and pitcher attributes mattering.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I know this is off topic, but I've always wondered why pulse pitching is so unpopular here on OS. Seems to me to be the perfect blend of user input and pitcher attributes mattering.

Not sure. It’s kind of like analog hitting? It just not that popular. I’ve never given pulse a try simply because I find the actual “pulse” to be so fast lol
Old 10-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind

Pulse Pitching has been frowned down upon by the Classic guys because once you get the timing of the "minigame" down, you've taken ratings away, and now you are overriding the stats with how good your hand-eye coordination is.

I tried it, and really liked it at first, but once i stated counting to myself as the pulses got larger and smaller, I could count it down, and hit the small marker 90 % of the time. That just became no fun. So, especially for the guys here that really do a magnificent roster re-rate and pitch edit, you undo all that hard work by beating a mini-game and it becomes less realistic.

I have always been a marker-off guy, but only recently delved into the no-vibration part of the classic pitching. It is waaaaaay better, more fun, more nerve wracking, and especially when you have the big bats up from the other team, you had better be really careful.

You will start to see more walks, and you won't be able to just dot corners with the rumble and vibration of the controller.

Two things I would like to see worked on. We should be allowed to turn Vibration off for pitching only. I like the feedback of when my runner has received the steal input, and I like to know when I have put Max effort on an infield throw. Also, tags at second base, and I do like the rumble of the controller in high-pressure situation...

We ought to be able to differentiate between Vibration for Pitching Only on/off. That would be better than all or nothing.

Also, for manual baserunning, the vibration feedback of switching your runners in nice, especially when the ****e hits the fan in a high pressure situation.

Give us the ability to tweak Vibration settings separately between pitching, fielding and hitting.

Back on point, Classic Pitching is by far the most immersive, and best replication of game/stats/input/margin of error for all the pitching options we have. Turn off all the helpers, and stand out there on the bump and give er'!!!

~syf
Old 10-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Pulse Pitching has been frowned down upon by the Classic guys because once you get the timing of the "minigame" down, you've taken ratings away, and now you are overriding the stats with how good your hand-eye coordination is.

I tried it, and really liked it at first, but once i stated counting to myself as the pulses got larger and smaller, I could count it down, and hit the small marker 90 % of the time. That just became no fun. So, especially for the guys here that really do a magnificent roster re-rate and pitch edit, you undo all that hard work by beating a mini-game and it becomes less realistic.

I have always been a marker-off guy, but only recently delved into the no-vibration part of the classic pitching. It is waaaaaay better, more fun, more nerve wracking, and especially when you have the big bats up from the other team, you had better be really careful.

You will start to see more walks, and you won't be able to just dot corners with the rumble and vibration of the controller.

Two things I would like to see worked on. We should be allowed to turn Vibration off for pitching only. I like the feedback of when my runner has received the steal input, and I like to know when I have put Max effort on an infield throw. Also, tags at second base, and I do like the rumble of the controller in high-pressure situation...

We ought to be able to differentiate between Vibration for Pitching Only on/off. That would be better than all or nothing.

Also, for manual baserunning, the vibration feedback of switching your runners in nice, especially when the ****e hits the fan in a high pressure situation.

Give us the ability to tweak Vibration settings separately between pitching, fielding and hitting.

Back on point, Classic Pitching is by far the most immersive, and best replication of game/stats/input/margin of error for all the pitching options we have. Turn off all the helpers, and stand out there on the bump and give er'!!!

~syf
Fair enough, but pitching attributes do have an impact in pulse pitching. BB/9 affects how small the pulse can get. Pitch control affects how often the pitcher hits inside the pulse.

You get your sliders right, and even if you are good at the mini game you'll struggle to prevent walks with a low BB/9 or control pitcher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »