Home

How do you guys run your first team/second team?

This is a discussion on How do you guys run your first team/second team? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do you guys run your first team/second team?

FIFA 20 was the first year I've been introduced to the game and the sport and I played a good bit of it so I've gotten decent enough where I can hang on Legendary (although with competitive mode off this year.) The problem is, I've been playing career modes where I'll start the first team in league games (premier league, la liga, Bundesliga, etc.) and I'll start my second team in other games like champions league, europa, etc.

The issue I'm having is if I'm a team like Liverpool I can't start my second team (which is completely backup players) against teams like Ajax/PSG/Juventus/etc. without getting smoked. But there are games on the schedule where I have to play a tough team like Chelsea/Man City and in between those games that same week I have like Atalanta in the champions league. My question is, how do ya'll handle that? Do you not use a 1st team and 2nd team and just randomly change a couple of starters here and there and maybe only start the whole 2nd team against actual bad teams?

I guess I'm just curious of how everyone rotates their squad. I haven't watched enough of the sport to have that kind of intuitive. How often should I take a starting player out of the lineup and etc.?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: How do you guys run your first team/second team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
FIFA 20 was the first year I've been introduced to the game and the sport and I played a good bit of it so I've gotten decent enough where I can hang on Legendary (although with competitive mode off this year.) The problem is, I've been playing career modes where I'll start the first team in league games (premier league, la liga, Bundesliga, etc.) and I'll start my second team in other games like champions league, europa, etc.

The issue I'm having is if I'm a team like Liverpool I can't start my second team (which is completely backup players) against teams like Ajax/PSG/Juventus/etc. without getting smoked. But there are games on the schedule where I have to play a tough team like Chelsea/Man City and in between those games that same week I have like Atalanta in the champions league. My question is, how do ya'll handle that? Do you not use a 1st team and 2nd team and just randomly change a couple of starters here and there and maybe only start the whole 2nd team against actual bad teams?

I guess I'm just curious of how everyone rotates their squad. I haven't watched enough of the sport to have that kind of intuitive. How often should I take a starting player out of the lineup and etc.?
No worries. We all start at the same place when learning the game.

There isn't a set rule that everyone applies but in general you always want to rotate a few guys and not the entire team. I always prioritize by the importance of the match.

In general, the Champions League is the most prestigious European Club competition so you will want to play your strongest lineup unless you have the group stage already wrapped up.

League Play (EPL, La Liga, etc...) is generally the 2nd most important competition so you'll want to play strong lineups but also keeping in mind managing fatigue/injuries/etc...

League Cup (FA Cup, DFB Pokal, TIM Cup, etc...) is usually the 3rd most important competition so you'll want to give some minutes to fringe starters/youth academy kids until you reach the later stages.

League Cup II (Carabao Cup) is generally the least important competition as I think only England has a 2nd Cup in FIFA 21. I always play the youth guys mixed in with a few fringe starters to try to give them some minutes.

In general though, I usually rotate guys based off fatigue and what important fixture(s) are on the calendar. It takes some planning and obviously injuries can happen but by giving your fringe starters some minutes it helps acclimate them to the team and give you a feel for them just in case you need to play them.

I tend to keep smaller rosters with a few youth kids waiting just in case I need cover at certain positions. A lot also depends on what kind of club you choose and what the expectations are. It's a lot easier to break youth into a lower table side than it is the likes of Liverpool, Real Mardrid, etc...

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask away. We have a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

With the changes to training and player development in FIFA 21 I think it is easier to play your top-11 in almost every match.
Because training now has no effect on on your players growth, you can rest your starters and train your bench and reserves between match days. The game minutes should keep your starters sharpness levels up without further fatiguing them by training. You can keep your bench and reserve players sharpness up by training them and giving them an occasional game.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
No worries. We all start at the same place when learning the game.

There isn't a set rule that everyone applies but in general you always want to rotate a few guys and not the entire team. I always prioritize by the importance of the match.

In general, the Champions League is the most prestigious European Club competition so you will want to play your strongest lineup unless you have the group stage already wrapped up.

League Play (EPL, La Liga, etc...) is generally the 2nd most important competition so you'll want to play strong lineups but also keeping in mind managing fatigue/injuries/etc...

League Cup (FA Cup, DFB Pokal, TIM Cup, etc...) is usually the 3rd most important competition so you'll want to give some minutes to fringe starters/youth academy kids until you reach the later stages.

League Cup II (Carabao Cup) is generally the least important competition as I think only England has a 2nd Cup in FIFA 21. I always play the youth guys mixed in with a few fringe starters to try to give them some minutes.

In general though, I usually rotate guys based off fatigue and what important fixture(s) are on the calendar. It takes some planning and obviously injuries can happen but by giving your fringe starters some minutes it helps acclimate them to the team and give you a feel for them just in case you need to play them.

I tend to keep smaller rosters with a few youth kids waiting just in case I need cover at certain positions. A lot also depends on what kind of club you choose and what the expectations are. It's a lot easier to break youth into a lower table side than it is the likes of Liverpool, Real Mardrid, etc...

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask away. We have a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Thanks this is helpful. So at what point do you suggest that I take someone out of the lineup do to stamina? When the bar is under halfway full? Or under 3/4 of the way? On the flip side, I'll use Manchester United as an example bc I'm familiar with their roster, how often should I give 'super subs' a start? Guys like Daniel James/Cavini/etc.

I know it's really up to me, I'm just not familiar with rotations from game to game in this sport so it's difficult for me to pick up on. For example I am a San Antonio Spurs fan in basketball, I know the exact lineups and rotations the team uses because I am so familiar with them.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
Thanks this is helpful. So at what point do you suggest that I take someone out of the lineup do to stamina? When the bar is under halfway full? Or under 3/4 of the way? On the flip side, I'll use Manchester United as an example bc I'm familiar with their roster, how often should I give 'super subs' a start? Guys like Daniel James/Cavini/etc.

I know it's really up to me, I'm just not familiar with rotations from game to game in this sport so it's difficult for me to pick up on. For example I am a San Antonio Spurs fan in basketball, I know the exact lineups and rotations the team uses because I am so familiar with them.
A lot of this has to do with their squad role and their happiness. If I were using Man U I'd be bringing those 2 off the bench most games in the 65-70th minute for a late boost and then starting them when Martial/Rashford/Greenwood get tired.

My rule of thumb for stamina is playing 1st team when they're 90% stamina or higher and using the training during the week to keep my 2nd team ready. Usually 1st team plays UCL and league games and 2nd team plays domestic cups, the end of the UCL group stage if I'm already secured a spot in the round of 16, and the midweek league game during weeks when those pop up.

It's all about your preference though. I like playing with different players so rotating is fun, but I like having my studs for the big games and for the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »