Home

Unresponsive controls.

This is a discussion on Unresponsive controls. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Unresponsive controls.

I've been playing since Undisputed 09, and have gotten good at twitch reactions with striking. I feel like EA UFC 3 had the striking very responsive, and controls worked well. Now, there are times when strikes consistently don't register despite pressing the buttons. Especially when you try to do a pull hook counter. It works sometimes(sluggishly) and doesn't other times. It feels extremely sluggish and unresponsive. I actually forked out $60 like an idiot. Hopefully they tighten these issues with patches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Unresponsive controls.

The exact same thing is happening to me. Sometimes I’ll press the buttons to a certain kick or punch and either it will work or it will do a completely different kick or punch. This is just inexcusable on the developers part.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
EA Sports UFC Developer

When you get different kicks out of your buttons, are they the version that happen from holding the button with that fighter's moveset?

Many of the most advanced strikes in UFC 4 are mapped to holding the button for simpler strikes, though you have to hold it for 8 frames. If you're experiencing this, try going into practice mode and playing around with the hold timing.

We've actually managed to remove frames from the input delay in UFC 3, so mathematically it's more responsive than it used to be but I've heard this impression too many times.... really want to know what's going on for users such as yourself.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
When you get different kicks out of your buttons, are they the version that happen from holding the button with that fighter's moveset?

Many of the most advanced strikes in UFC 4 are mapped to holding the button for simpler strikes, though you have to hold it for 8 frames. If you're experiencing this, try going into practice mode and playing around with the hold timing.

We've actually managed to remove frames from the input delay in UFC 3, so mathematically it's more responsive than it used to be but I've heard this impression too many times.... really want to know what's going on for users such as yourself.
Most of the time when I want to do a certain kick or punch it will work. But I’d say 2 out of 10 times it doesn’t. For example a front kick or a roundhouse... when I press R1 + O or L1 + O sometimes it will do a lower leg kick or a different kick. Even the kicks where you have to hold a button doesn’t respond sometimes. Don’t know why this happens. Maybe it has to do with input lag on my part.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:

Thanks for the response. No, even simple things like pull back and counter hooks work and don't work sometimes. Response is just so sluggish. Can't make split second counters. Please fix this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #6
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSky
Most of the time when I want to do a certain kick or punch it will work. But I’d say 2 out of 10 times it doesn’t. For example a front kick or a roundhouse... when I press R1 + O or L1 + O sometimes it will do a lower leg kick or a different kick. Even the kicks where you have to hold a button doesn’t respond sometimes. Don’t know why this happens. Maybe it has to do with input lag on my part.
If you're getting leg kicks out of it, then it's almost certainly because the bumper or trigger isn't pressed yet. None of the bumper strikes can result in basic leg kicks.

I doubt input lag is the issue from your hardware, but you might be pressing the buttons at very similar times to each other but in the wrong order. That's my best guess from your description.

I really wish I could get the input history HUD into practice mode, but alas, it proved too tricky for the time I had.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
Rookie

I'm having some issues with takedowns inputs, where I try to shoot for a takedown but nothing happens. I'm not sure if it's me messing up somehow or there's some technical problems, but apparently it happens to Martial mind too, check at 26.20 of the video.

https://youtu.be/Ey03okWuiNk

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-24-2020, 05:02 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
If you're getting leg kicks out of it, then it's almost certainly because the bumper or trigger isn't pressed yet. None of the bumper strikes can result in basic leg kicks.

I doubt input lag is the issue from your hardware, but you might be pressing the buttons at very similar times to each other but in the wrong order. That's my best guess from your description.

I really wish I could get the input history HUD into practice mode, but alas, it proved too tricky for the time I had.
I often have the issue where I throw a head kick but it comes out as a body kick. I get that this is usually due to range, however. I know this happens with some other strikes too, where depending on the range, it will change it into something else. I'd imagine that this is partially why some people feel the controls are unresponsive.

I feel that the striking feels way better than UFC 3. Not sure exactly why. Maybe it's the reduced input delay, maybe it's something else. Either way, it's better. But it also still does feel quite unresponsive/clunky. The lighter weight classes feel way more responsive though, so I feel that maybe it has something to do with what you guys have implemented there in regards to different weight classes feeling different. I definitely agree with the sentiment that it often feels impossible to simply react to the strikes thrown by an opponent, but rather you have to almost predict what they're going to do. But even then, that probably has something to do with the RPM tech. The game feels much more responsive when you stand still and throw strikes. It's when you try to move and strike that suddenly it feels as though everything you're doing is slightly delayed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »