Home

Position Lock Makes the game AI 100% Better - Prove Me Wrong

This is a discussion on Position Lock Makes the game AI 100% Better - Prove Me Wrong within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 AM   #1
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

OVR: 0
Position Lock Makes the game AI 100% Better - Prove Me Wrong

IMO if your not playing POSITION LOCK in Franchise mode on either Broadcast or True Broadcast Camera your missing out.

I have noticed that if you play position lock and actually play position the AI is 100% better. They are where they are supposed to be and you don't see 3 AI players chasing the puck.

IMO when you control every player there is a slight millisecond delay when you switch to said player and it messes with the game physics whatever.

If you don't play on PL you should, give it a try.. its so much better and more rewarding when you make a great defensive play at a crucial time because you were in the right position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Position Lock Makes the game AI 100% Better - Prove Me Wrong

What position do you lock on? Or do you alternate each game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

It's been like this for years. I used to player lock at a different position every game a few years back.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 11-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
Rookie

AllIn989's Arena

ive always wanted to use broadcast camera but when i did it was hard to play with hybrid or skill stick cause id always mess up on my shot any ideas what controls to use that so i wont mess up...
Old 11-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
MVP

TopSide83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn989
ive always wanted to use broadcast camera but when i did it was hard to play with hybrid or skill stick cause id always mess up on my shot any ideas what controls to use that so i wont mess up...
Just use always up and you’re good to go.. I seriously can’t play any other way than true broadcast. Watching people play at other cameras makes my stomach hurt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
MVP

This has been true for years, and it’s not just this series, 2K and Madden work like this too. It also has nothing to do with switching players, it has to do with properly executing what needs to be executed with the player you’re controlling. I’ve been trying to explain this to people who whine about bad AI for years and years. It’s just not worth getting into it anymore. But yes, 100%, the AI performs in virtual lockstep as good or as bad as your play is from moment to moment. The better you play your position, the better the AI will play theirs, and this is true with player-lock on AND off.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
This has been true for years, and it’s not just this series, 2K and Madden work like this too. It also has nothing to do with switching players, it has to do with properly executing what needs to be executed with the player you’re controlling. I’ve been trying to explain this to people who whine about bad AI for years and years. It’s just not worth getting into it anymore. But yes, 100%, the AI performs in virtual lockstep as good or as bad as your play is from moment to moment. The better you play your position, the better the AI will play theirs, and this is true with player-lock on AND off.
Hard disagree here. The AI does not execute perfectly and their deficiencies can't easily be explained by user control alone. You know I how I know this? They don't execute the strategies to perfection even on fully CPU-controlled teams. Set your CPU strategy adjustments to 0, set them to full forecheck and full attack and high pressure. I guarantee they won't pinch at all costs regardless of the situation despite being instructed to do so. This is also easily debunked by playing any WoC mode. Play as a defenseman and watch your AI teammate constantly play on your side because it believes you're 1 micro inch out of position even if you're not "beat" by any measure.

Might play better because the AI only see one player has "out of position" at all times, but doesn't mean their interpretation of positioning is correct, and the AI's defensive execution is far from perfect. How about forwards who are supposed to be "crashing the net" standing on the boards or immediately leaving their screen position because the defenseman took a few steps in to shoot? These AI players aren't some magic hockey playing wizards. They can't even get the AI to play a near-perfect game of football in Madden, a sport that's way more static than hockey, so there's no way they are perfect in hockey.

There's hundreds of fundamental plays they do wrong every game, it's really not even close to being debatable that these AI players are "perfect" in reads and execution. 21 is better than any other year for EA, but the in-zone offense and defense are still a complete mess, special teams are still terribly not enjoyable due to the lack of a 1-3-1 and also due to the PK's over-aggressiveness and the PP's inability to properly support the puck and find open space. The breakout strategies are so severely limited compared to real life that it's not even funny, and even with the limited options the AI still can't properly execute or support the puck. They still don't properly execute "crash the net" they are terribly static and boring when off-puck in the offensive zone, AI opposition will still let you walk down from the blueline almost uncontested in many scenarios, and the AI defensemen still won't headman the puck despite high pressure and open glass/boards to chip off of.

21 is much improved from 20 when it comes to the NZ and even some defensive assignments, but this should be the beginning. It's far from perfect and the more TLC this area of the game gets, the more and more addicting this game will be.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
Hard disagree here.

Yeah I know. That’s why I said I don’t even bother anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »