Home

Coaches and Coordinators authentic Realistic game play sliders

This is a discussion on Coaches and Coordinators authentic Realistic game play sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coaches and Coordinators authentic Realistic game play sliders

Objective:
Create an experience of emersion into Madden that represents the feeling of playing, coaching, and game planning.
Let me begin with stating I don’t have experience of being known as a slider guru. I did not create these sliders based on end of game statistics. I created them based on attributes being equal, leveraging the defensive fronts against the offensive formations and creating an environment of system-based philosophies. Now the end of game stats is very satisfying, but it’s based on the game play. One thing I never liked about stat sliders is one could play a CPU offense that could have 30 yards off 15 carries and then all the sudden break a long run for 40 yards. This type of game play makes the slider sets look realistic at the end of the game but didn’t feel real and very unsatisfying when playing. The sliders I set out to create are ones that feel realistic and do not create a rage of viewing replays and feeling cheated based on animation gaffs.
I also found myself not fully enjoying running a 34 defense. A major part of running a 34 defense is using fire zone blitzing. (safe pressure that pressures the QB and spills run plays to the outside based on targeted gap play) The 43 became an option but is somewhat stale after a while. Man coverage/blitzing combined with cover 3 base is fun, but it has its limitations for me personally. Cover 4 and 6 have a place but aren’t used as much in the NFL and don’t function correctly in madden unless the safety is being usered. Now this aspect is fun if you use coverage rules reading the #2 receiver but the game AI itself is flawed since no outside quarter zone will cover a post route. The risk outweighs the reward.
The sliders were created with attributes being set on a 1:1 ratio. What this means is an 80-block shed should be equal to an 80-run block. Reach and jump thru blocks do not in most cases represent true football when facing bear, eagle and under defensive fronts as Madden is programmed by default. My goal was to get these defenses to hinge properly and utilize the SPILL, FORCE, ALLEY, PRESS concepts that modern day defenses are predicated on. The fronts/defenses used to create the sliders was Buddy Ryan Bears 46 defense bear- 1 gap, Marvin Lewis 2000 Ravens 43 over-2 gap, Dick LeBeau 34 -2 gap eagle, Jimmy Johnson Miami/Dallas 43-1 gap and the modern 43 under- 1 gap. Further explanations on how these fronts work mechanically can be explained later to those interested.
I also used basic pass concepts against coverages using the same formula of attributes based on a 1:1 ratio. Combinations blocks as well as gap control blocks were used for the offensive leverage of base running plays. It should also be noted that the basic run chart was used to attack defensive alignments to see if offensive leverage held true. Example is outside zones attack zero tech, they also attack under fronts when facing a 1 and 3 tech. Inside zones, traps, and powers attack 3 techs and counters attack 1 tech. These rules aren’t 100% as they shouldn’t be. They follow the 80/20 rule if all attributes are equal.
Keeping the integrity of both offense and defense in mind I created the sliders. I should also say that I’m 52 years old, a former football coach and have played madden since its inception. I’m bored with online meta play and can’t handle online SIM rules because football doesn’t have sim rules. Football is based on risk versus reward and too many times in madden people don’t call offensive plays based on personnel used combined with field boundary relationship. Defenses are called far too often not being able to match personnel to “fit” the offensive formation.
All that being said, I’ve created sliders that have a very true to life feel based on leverage, personnel and play calling philosophy. One goal I had was not allow a team like the Jets to beat a team like the Chiefs regardless of which side was being usered and which was CPU. Likewise, I wanted a game where Jets and current divisional Pats could play a competitive game and feel very real and being decided on superior play calling. Along with that I wanted each team to feel like their real-life counterpart and not have sliders where all teams felt the same. Ill display the sliders and then we will dive into the coaching philosophies.

Skill Level - All Pro
Game Style – Simulation
Quarter Length – 15 min
Play Clock – ON
Accelerated Clock – ON
Minimum Play Clock Time – 11 seconds
Auto Flip – ON
Ball Hawk – ON
Heat Seeker – ON
Switch Assist – ON
Coach Mode – OFF
Injuries – 15
Fatigue – 52
Player Speed Parity Scale – 0 (yes zero, wanted the ratio to remain absolute)
Master Volume - 100
Commentary – 80
Stadium Speakers – 90
Crowd – 100
On the Field – 80

PENALTIES--------
Offsides – 70
False Start – 65
Holding – 70
Face Mask – 50
Illegal Block in Back – 55
Roughing the Passer – 50
Defensive pass Interference – 70
Everything else ON except roughing the kicker

USER/CPU
QB Accuracy 40/44
Pass Blocking [color="red"]44[color="red"]/50
WR Catching 47/47
Run Blocking 24/56
Fumbles 35/35
Reaction Time 51/76
Interceptions 20/45
Pass Coverage 51:85
Tackling 51/51

SPECIAL TEAMS -------
FG Power 70/70
FG Accuracy 45/45
Punt Power 55/55
Punt Accuracy 45/45
Kick Off Power 52/52

One note about playing the game. These sliders are set up to play as a USER in Player Lock on both sides of the ball. They work fine from any angle; however, the player lock really brings an authentic feel to both sides of the ball and makes the USER play his position and trust his teammates. Being over aggressive in pursuit or coverage will cost you. Also not being aggressive enough will negatively impact you as well. On defense any player can be used. I have the most fun playing as a safety. When in a Robber coverage play as yellow/middle zone safety and rob the inside routes. Zero blitzes have 2 options. Play as defender on #3 defender, usually the RB and play as a zone if the back blocks. Or you can play as any other man defender and create an overload situation. The 5 O linemen will be matched up on the 6 pass rushers, The CPU defender will auto blitz the RB if he stays in to block and create a plus 1 advantage for the defense. Inside shade zero blitzes or press over the top. Cover 1 robbers and hole soft coverage shade inside, outside or underneath. The closer you get to the goal line the more you can play games with coverage. On offense choose to “player lock” the QB on pass plays or option plays. Player lock the RB for run plays. Of course, you can choose to block as a FB or run routes as a receiver if you choose. However, playing as the QB or RB gives it an authentic feel.

COACHING SCHEMES AND GAME PLANNING--------
If you go to create a playbook, you’ll see the last tab is labeled “game plan”. We will use defense as an example. There are many more plays in playbook than are used in game plan. To create a virtual atmosphere its fun to use “coaching suggestions” to call plays. However, these suggestions contain all plays and not just those in the game plan. The CPU uses the game plan but offers all plays as suggestions for USERS. Some formations within a playbook aren’t even used in the game plan. The Steelers as example never use the “cub” formation and only 2 plays in the 34 Even formation. To get an authentic experience, go through and create your own playbook. To do this simply delete all plays that do not have a star highlighted on the “game plan” screen. Each condition has a play call sheet of 20 plays. Once you create a few of these playbooks you’ll see how to create your own if you choose too. I like to create legendary playbooks like 34 Eagle from Dick LeBeau. Do the same on offensive playbook of your choice.
Once in the game, don’t pigeonhole yourself into being random for the sake of being random. Stick to a philosophy and call plays to win. An example is for my 34 Eagle in base I primarily use the odd front. I crash the D line IN to create a 2 -eagle front. This allows one of my LBs to have a designated gap assignment. This also allows you to run a base defense with 2 high safeties if you choose for pass protection. I can call any type of coverage including fire zone blitzes. The key of course is having the correct players to play the positions needed. If I didn’t have a strong, 300 lb. plus NT with high block shed, I couldn’t run this defense effectively. Same goes for running a 46 Bear, if the 2 DE aligning in a 3 tech aren’t built like this then utilizing the bear front won’t reach its potential to prevent 2nd level blocking of the guards.

Try never to exceed having 20 plays per scenario within the game plan and really think about reducing it if you don’t think you’ll need them. Go do some research on teams you’d like to emulate and find out what base personnel they use, what are the fronts used along with coverages. Pick or build systems that are specific and focused. At a simple level just think back to playing high school. What was your base system and coverage? Of course, the higher levels will cause you to expand on both, but you see the point.

Bottom line I hope you guys enjoy the sliders. Even though I don’t have a following, you might be surprised with the experience. I’ve had success with other sliders that are posted, however, there’s always those plays that just seem to have “maddenisms” in them where it just ruins the experience. I can honestly say this way of playing makes you feel like you’re on the field and when you get beat on a play, it does make sense if you look at the replays.

Referenced books used in making the sliders:

Complete Linebacking by Lou Tepper
Passing concepts and advanced passing concepts by Dan Gonzalez
Coaching the under Front Defense by Jerry Gordan
Using offensive formations to dictate defensive alignment by Bill Renner
Coaching the Seven Man Front against the Run by Rex Ryan
Coaching the 46 Defense by Rex Ryan
I also used various football sites to learn the 34 eagle and Miami 43. There are also plenty of reads on current teams to see systems used and % of play calls and formations utilized by NFL teams. If you have any football questions or comments, feel free to ask or comment. Thanks all and enjoy.

Last edited by Coach Captures; 11-22-2020 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Update
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Pro

dc thompsoncanyon838's Arena

I prefer the in depth perspectives, such as yours, with viewpoints, seldom heard. I regularly read the threads of tommycoa, oh mr hanky and schnaidt. ��
Old 11-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
Rookie

Decent at Best's Arena

Re: Coaches and Coordinators authentic Realistic game play sliders

Love how you base these off of actual game planning and philosophies and try to stay away from "perfect stats" which dont exist. I love the game planning aspect that goes coaches go through on game to game basis.
With that being said I was gonna ask a few questions about the set.
1.) How much are you seeing the QB drop back glitch happening?
2.) How is the game playing with 0 threshold? Just asking bc I heard with 0 threshold acceleration is the king of all attributes and it can become OP at times.
3.) Has anyone been streaming these? Would like to see some gameplay while my game reinstalls. (Been acting funny)
4.) Also interesting to see you say you use player lock on both sides of the ball. What positions do you player lock with on offense and defense?
Sent from my SM-A102U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Decent at Best; 11-13-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Just started!

Just played a franchise game with these sliders.. felt really good how the game went and was a hard fought game.. I felt all pro was too easy before, but with these sliders, they are perfect for my skill level. Thank you for the sliders.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
Rookie

I might have to tweak the cpu running game. I like the interaction of the line play but the cpu RB doesn’t always hit the hole like it should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Captures
I might have to tweak the cpu running game. I like the interaction of the line play but the cpu RB doesn’t always hit the hole like it should.
Try lowering the fumble slider in the 30-40 range. The fumble slider, when lower, is like the old rb ability slider.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 11-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decent at Best
Love how you base these off of actual game planning and philosophies and try to stay away from "perfect stats" which dont exist. I love the game planning aspect that goes coaches go through on game to game basis.
With that being said I was gonna ask a few questions about the set.
1.) How much are you seeing the QB drop back glitch happening?
2.) How is the game playing with 0 threshold? Just asking bc I heard with 0 threshold acceleration is the king of all attributes and it can become OP at times.
3.) Has anyone been streaming these? Would like to see some gameplay while my game reinstalls. (Been acting funny)
4.) Also interesting to see you say you use player lock on both sides of the ball. What positions do you player lock with on offense and defense?
1. Havnt seen it

2. I think it adds so much realism. You have to game plan around the other teams speed. If you play a team like the chiefs it could be risky playing press coverage outside the 25 yard line. Also if playing safety you really need to respect speed and read the play before commiting. I misstep could lead to a big play.

3. I haven’t streamed

4. I use the QB on pass and option plays. I use the RB on run plays. Screens I alternate between the two of them.

On D I use The safety 80%, LBs 10% and CBS 10%

Old 11-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Rookie

Decent at Best's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Captures
1. Havnt seen it

2. I think it adds so much realism. You have to game plan around the other teams speed. If you play a team like the chiefs it could be risky playing press coverage outside the 25 yard line. Also if playing safety you really need to respect speed and read the play before commiting. I misstep could lead to a big play.

3. I haven’t streamed

4. I use the QB on pass and option plays. I use the RB on run plays. Screens I alternate between the two of them.

On D I use The safety 80%, LBs 10% and CBS 10%

Thanks man I'm gonna give these a go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »