Home

I have a question about franchise mode

This is a discussion on I have a question about franchise mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13
Icon5 I have a question about franchise mode

I just started my franchise with the Rays, and I was wondering doe the players attributes go up & down during the season or do they stay the same till after the season?

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Rookie

alston4659's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I have a question about franchise mode

They definitely go up and down. Especially older players or players who are in their 30s but stuck in the minors. And decline happens really fast too like after 10 games or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan4life
I just started my franchise with the Rays, and I was wondering doe the players attributes go up & down during the season or do they stay the same till after the season?
Sent from my SM-G988U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alston4659
They definitely go up and down. Especially older players or players who are in their 30s but stuck in the minors. And decline happens really fast too like after 10 games or so.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Operation Sports mobile app
They go down and go down way too fast and not based off stats. Earlier in my season Yu Darvish (started at 89) was 15-1 with a ERA just barely above 2 and he dropped to an 82 just because he's 34 years old. I edited him back up.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
They go down and go down way too fast and not based off stats. Earlier in my season Yu Darvish (started at 89) was 15-1 with a ERA just barely above 2 and he dropped to an 82 just because he's 34 years old. I edited him back up.
I had that happen with Kyle Hendricks too. I guess because he was 30, the game decided that his time is almost up and he declined despite leading MLB in innings pitched, complete games, shutouts, ERA and WHIP at mid season.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
Rookie

ingey1968's Arena

to piggy back on this topic.... in terms of young guys, is all progression achieved during the season or does it also happen in offseason also?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingey1968
to piggy back on this topic.... in terms of young guys, is all progression achieved during the season or does it also happen in offseason also?
All progression happens during games played. The amount seems inconsistent, and I can't tell you what thresholds percentages happen at, but the more games a player plays, the higher the likelyhood he has to progress. Its a combination of his potential, his counting stats and his averages, but even taking all of that into account there is some element of random chance thrown in as well.

Unlike older sports games, especially Madden and NCAA football, young players won't progress at all, even if they have a potential of 99, unless they get time on the field and do well.

Unfortunately, The Show's franchise mode has been stripped down from older versions in a lot of ways, and the game doesn't hold your hand at the end of each season to show you how much players went up or down like it used to. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to tell how much a player's OVR moved unless you write it down at the start of the season and then compare that to what you see at the end.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
All progression happens during games played. The amount seems inconsistent, and I can't tell you what thresholds percentages happen at, but the more games a player plays, the higher the likelyhood he has to progress. Its a combination of his potential, his counting stats and his averages, but even taking all of that into account there is some element of random chance thrown in as well.

Unlike older sports games, especially Madden and NCAA football, young players won't progress at all, even if they have a potential of 99, unless they get time on the field and do well.

Unfortunately, The Show's franchise mode has been stripped down from older versions in a lot of ways, and the game doesn't hold your hand at the end of each season to show you how much players went up or down like it used to. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to tell how much a player's OVR moved unless you write it down at the start of the season and then compare that to what you see at the end.
This is actually incorrect. Players will progress regardless of playing time. Yes playing more and playing well is where you’ll see the biggest boosts (I had a guy improve +10 in left handed power), your bench players and A ball players will still improve without games played.

A trick I like to use for my young guys who are just not quite ready for AA ball is stick them A ball for a year or two. You will see a modest increase in attributes (about +3 or +4 in all attributes), without the risk of regression had they floundered at AA ball. Its a nice little trick I use for those A and B potentials in the 50-60 range. After a year or to they generally rated high enough to at least hold their own in AA, thus continuing their upward development.

On the other side of the coin I have had guys on the bench (AA and AAA) improve pretty nicely with less than 150 AB. However they did perform pretty nicely in those 150 or less AB
Old 05-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Rookie

ingey1968's Arena

trying to grasp progression. i understand what people are saying in terms of playing time and doing well. started two saves. in one save i had a 57 ovr 1b with a 99 potential who was 18. i player locked him alot. entire season in AA . ended up with .320 averg, 29 hrs, 120 RBI etc, across the board had great stats for a 57 ovr. after all that he gained maybe 3 or possibly 4 total points in overall for the season .

In another i have a 1b who started at a 72 ovr with a 94 potential but was 22 yrs old . he hit well but not as well as 57 ovr guy yet he gained 7 ovr points, currently sitting at a 79 at offseason.

i guess my question would be this, do older players coming out of draft develop better or was that just random luck?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »