Home

Choppy Gameplay - PS4

This is a discussion on Choppy Gameplay - PS4 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Choppy Gameplay - PS4

Hi all,
I just recently made the switch over to 21 on PS4. I'll keep it short and sweet - why is the game so choppy? Not talking about input lag, thats fine; when the ball is in play the game is SO CHOPPY and not smooth at all?

How do I fix this? I already turned off HDR on PS4 and have my TV on Game mode. That hasnt helped at all. I am not an expert on this type of stuff, but I really need it fixed becaues it is ruining the game for me. 20 was smooth as can be, but 21 is legit lagging when the ball is in play. I am strictly OFFLINE franchise player.

Please help!!!! I have a regular ps4 with a 55 inch TCL 4K roku TV if that matters.

Thanks!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Choppy Gameplay - PS4

Have you tried forcing 1080p in the system display settings? Helps on PS4 Pro, but not sure about vanilla PS4.

Last edited by jeffy777; 05-30-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 6

Noticed the same issue when I first picked up the game (playing on a 1440p monitor). Haven't played much since, and have been hoping someone figures out if there's a fix for it.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

I'm not sure about regular PS4's, but on the PS4 Pro there are 3 options. Faster (1080p) , balanced (1440p) and sharper (4k) and even on faster there are some fps slow downs at times. Even the PS5 which has MUCH better hardware can't maintain 60fps at all times as was shown by Digital Foundry. The regular PS4 was severely anemic and outdated before it ever went public from a technical standpoint. So even back in 2013 it was under powered and here we are halfway through 2021 and you can't expect it to magically get better. The devs could make the game the most optimized game imaginable and it wouldn't matter. The hardware simply can't do but so much.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Try disabling the internet connection to your PS4 while playing. That can sometimes help when all other options have been exhausted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Rookie

I've tried all of the above things....it still is choppy. It is honestly ruining the game for me and I cant believe I spent $70 on the game.

However, I did buy the "Jackie Robinson Edition" which is for the PS4 and PS5, so when I someday (magically) get a Ps5, i wont have to buy the game again. Does this have anything to do with it? Is my Ps4 trying to run a Ps5 game, which is why it is so choppy? i literally dont know anything about this stuff so some guidance would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboy_003
I've tried all of the above things....it still is choppy. It is honestly ruining the game for me and I cant believe I spent $70 on the game.

However, I did buy the "Jackie Robinson Edition" which is for the PS4 and PS5, so when I someday (magically) get a Ps5, i wont have to buy the game again. Does this have anything to do with it? Is my Ps4 trying to run a Ps5 game, which is why it is so choppy? i literally dont know anything about this stuff so some guidance would be great. Thanks!

No your PS4 is not attempting to run a PS5 game. Considering the PS4 is weaker than the PS4 Pro which also has fps issues I would fully believe you if you said you had fps problems.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
Rookie

GridironGreat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboy_003

Get a PS5. Native 4K 60 is a a beautiful thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »