Home

Dead already

This is a discussion on Dead already within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Dead already

This forum died early this year. EA wake up, you're losing customers. The game is not just HUT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan67
This forum died early this year. EA wake up, you're losing customers. The game is not just HUT.

Kinda like the Leafs in the 1st round every season? Haha Go Habs Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan28

Well no, this game has always been dead, kinda like... Well, kinda like the Leafs I guess. :P
Old 06-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
Well no, this game has always been dead, kinda like... Well, kinda like the Leafs I guess. :P
This game was really alive from 09-12 it was quite the experience and vibe. TPS kind of ruined a lot of the fun for me because the "realistic" skating engine didn't allow for any lateral agility (no backwards crossovers, pivots as slow as an 18-wheeler lol...like come on) and turned the game into rod hockey. Then this gen came around and they forgot about EASHL, then had the captain lag for a whole year, then made the MOBA-style classes but forgot to actually force players into making MOBA-style decisions with their builds, then introduced RPM hitting which was extremely good and favorable for the 19 beta, then ruined it for the 19 full release, and now they release games and don't change them whatsoever while using the crutch "last time we changed something mid-season, people didn't like it so we don't do that anymore" lol.

Like I said in another thread, they can't get out of their own way.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan28

Low blow lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
This game was really alive from 09-12 it was quite the experience and vibe. TPS kind of ruined a lot of the fun for me because the "realistic" skating engine didn't allow for any lateral agility (no backwards crossovers, pivots as slow as an 18-wheeler lol...like come on) and turned the game into rod hockey. Then this gen came around and they forgot about EASHL, then had the captain lag for a whole year, then made the MOBA-style classes but forgot to actually force players into making MOBA-style decisions with their builds, then introduced RPM hitting which was extremely good and favorable for the 19 beta, then ruined it for the 19 full release, and now they release games and don't change them whatsoever while using the crutch "last time we changed something mid-season, people didn't like it so we don't do that anymore" lol.

Like I said in another thread, they can't get out of their own way.
That's the thing: this game was "dead" to me because, even though you had mobility, the skating looked awful. Like a player on a magic carpet just floating everywhere. I think it was DJ Neo who had made a video showing how you could move from one end of the rink to the other end without actually moving your legs. That just killed the immersion for me.

Don't get me wrong, I played NHL 11, 12 and 13 with friends, but it was the laid back, arcade, "Hey let's get some drinks and snacks and just be silly" type of game for me. And that's the other thing, it was "fun" with a bunch of friends sitting on the couch. But if you played this alone (especially online) it was akin to stapling your scrotum to the floor and then smashing them with an anvil, and then burning them to dust with a flamethrower.

Then they tried to apply a more realistic skating engine in later games by going in the completely opposite direction. And they expected people to just like it?? "Let's GIVE them realism but take away all the mobility they had in previous games". Why? I've skated on real ice before. Heck, I was a goalie in a competitive league here in Montreal and I had much more mobility, with all the equipment, than EA would allow with their skaters in the game. That is until NHL 19, 20 and 21 where Forwards are allowed to do whatever they want, however they want, with the puck even! Smash into the sideboards and bounce off like a trampoline while still in control!! Yaaaaaaaayyy!!! While Defenders and Goalies can just sit their with their junk in their hands and allow goals by the bucketful. Fun!!!!

There's never any grey with their developers, it has to be Black or White. Nothing in between. There is no Balance.

*sigh*

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 06-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
That's the thing: this game was "dead" to me because, even though you had mobility, the skating looked awful. Like a player on a magic carpet just floating everywhere. I think it was DJ Neo who had made a video showing how you could move from one end of the rink to the other end without actually moving your legs. That just killed the immersion for me.

Don't get me wrong, I played NHL 11, 12 and 13 with friends, but it was the laid back, arcade, "Hey let's get some drinks and snacks and just be silly" type of game for me.

Then when they tried to apply a more realistic skating engine, they went in the completely opposite direction. Let's GIVE them realism but take away all the mobility. Why? I've skated on real ice before. Heck, I was a goalie in a competitive league here in Montreal and I had much more mobility, with all the equipment, than EA would allow with their skaters in the game.

There's never any grey with their developers, it has to be White or Black. Nothing in between.

*sigh*
Yeah, totally agree. They went from floating on the ice to literal rod hockey guys who couldn't move laterally and could just sprint forward with the TPS era lol. Now that they have RPM, an engine that can actually provide both some sense of realistic weight without sacrificing the agility we see hockey players have, they choose to just tune it back to NHL 09 floating...like come on! The tech is there! The sliders are there! What are they doing lol??
Old 06-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
Yeah, totally agree. They went from floating on the ice to literal rod hockey guys who couldn't move laterally and could just sprint forward with the TPS era lol. Now that they have RPM, an engine that can actually provide both some sense of realistic weight without sacrificing the agility we see hockey players have, they choose to just tune it back to NHL 09 floating...like come on! The tech is there! The sliders are there! What are they doing lol??
Here's the thing: the game could be a bazillion times better if they make the Offense more challenging. That's it!

Slow down the speed of the game in general. But let them retain their maneuverability. Real players can go full tilt forward, hit the brakes and go in a completely different direction in a fraction of a second. Why does it have to feel like trying to turn an 18-Wheeler in this game?? No more using the boards as trampolines to keep control of the puck. No more passing through 5 players to a teammate. No more Backwards skating into the zone, getting hit 10 times and still keeping the puck. There's absolutely NO need to let them score 13 times on 12 shots. Make it more challenging. Keep Defense as it is. Maybe allow them a bit more precession while skating from a stand-still. And Boost Goalie reactions if they're in good position a fraction more while punishing 6'5" goalies that just stand at the goal line with slower reactions.

Another thing that would make the game better: punish players that rag the puck. You don't need to invent the wheel again, just hit them with a rule that already exists in the NHL: Delay Of Game. If a player stays behind his net or the goal line for more than 30 seconds, penalty. If the player doesn't bring the puck over the red line within 45 seconds, penalty. And if they don't bring the puck over the opponents blue line within 60 seconds, DELAY OF GAME PENALTY!!!!!

They keep doing it, they get booted from the game. Simple.

"Oh but people are gonna complain if we do that". I don't see the same sympathy for people who go AFK. They get outright booted don't they? If they don't like it and complain, they should probably start learning how to play Hockey.

It's about time people in general start learning how to play the sport online. Here's your chance (EA) to teach them...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »