Home

How do i score in the paint of someones aggressive 2-3 zone

This is a discussion on How do i score in the paint of someones aggressive 2-3 zone within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do i score in the paint of someones aggressive 2-3 zone

Its irritating...i play the game the right way, i move the ball and everything, but even when i do get to the rim, my bigs wont dunk. My guards miss shots without getting the foul call even tho there is contact. Im open to shoot the 3 but IM SICK AND TIRED OF DOING THAT. Ive used multiple zone freelances, but all they do is get me open threes. I feel this defense is overpowered and im sick of losing to these guys that spam the steal on the perimeter, get bump steals in the paint, centers block shots, but never foul. I need help. I dont want to be told to just shoot the 3, help me score in the paint. Are there any freelances that do this agaisnt the 2-3 zone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: How do i score in the paint of someones aggressive 2-3 zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknjr007
Its irritating...i play the game the right way, i move the ball and everything, but even when i do get to the rim, my bigs wont dunk. My guards miss shots without getting the foul call even tho there is contact. Im open to shoot the 3 but IM SICK AND TIRED OF DOING THAT. Ive used multiple zone freelances, but all they do is get me open threes. I feel this defense is overpowered and im sick of losing to these guys that spam the steal on the perimeter, get bump steals in the paint, centers block shots, but never foul. I need help. I dont want to be told to just shoot the 3, help me score in the paint. Are there any freelances that do this agaisnt the 2-3 zone
Getting into the center of it is really difficult, so I do mostly focus on getting the ball outside. Couple things you can do though:

-WNBA 3 Out Active freelance will put a player on both blocks. You *may* be able to go big to big, but that's tough. If it doesn't work my next go to is

- Hawks freelance, and not the 5 out branch, just the base look. Should put your center at the elbow for a jumper. As you start hitting that, it should drag the center out (since you've got players at the wings and in the corners). As that center starts coming out, you can manually cut into the paint. Still gotta read the center here and don't be afraid to bust the middie if they sag back down.

Ultimately though, zone is a "hit em where they ain't" proposition, especially in 2k, so you may have to settle for the J more than you'd like

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 06-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Try the Princeton Chin freelance. Pretty much becomes your typical "13" zone beater.

But being able to shoot from the outside is an absolute must against a zone, no way around it. Once you start making your outside shots, the inside will open up.

On a side note, icon passing is just absolutely broken vs zone. I can't recall if this is a 2k legacy issue that's been going on for years now, but at least next gen, the response time for an icon pass to trigger is significantly delayed against zone. Feels like I'm playing on satellite internet.

Last edited by Cowboyfan_19; 06-11-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:26 AM   #4
MVP

tru11's Arena

Depending on your team , you can post up the smaller players with your bigs since you know where all the defenders are.

Also changing your shot midair is a good way to get fouls while attacking the rim.

Think it was gs playbook that has some nasty double screen plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

I never liked the zone. It's a mind game, and it does let your guys rest IRL, but it should be easy to beat. A bunch of dudes with interceptor makes it harder, but generally you don't wanna be shooting in the paint with a big next to you, so that makes scoring inside off of a non-contact or drawing a foul pretty hard.

Icon lead passing is good. Call for pick and roll if your guys stop moving. I'd try to get the ball around the left or right side of the FT line with a big. That's the weak part of 2-3.

Some quote from basketballforcoaches.com: 4. Teams Aren’t Patient – The number one way to beat a zone is with smart passing and being patient until you get a good shot. Well I have good news, not many teams are patient. You’ll find most teams rush and will often take contested shots, or they’ll turn the ball over trying to make fancy passes against the zone.

That's basically it. It's a war of attrition, as said, don't put the ball at risk but keep trying to get deeper into the zone. At some point yea you will have to make a shot, but you should be able to get cutting lanes and such, too, unless people are controlling a guy and roaming right in the middle.

Try to get somewhere that forces two players to shift then swing the ball to away from those players and then hit a cutter back on the same side as the two players. You need x steps to reliably get a foul/dunk/score so keep that in mind that you can't just catch it and go up unless you're wide.

If you start feeling like you have to make shots to beat the zone, you will psych yourself out, even tho THATS KIND OF TRUE. You can still get a good amount off cuts/drives if you play it right. You need some bread and butter. You wanna take money 3s and that's it. Also beat the boards hard.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLSmak; 06-15-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »