Home

Can you at least try to simulate realistic rebounding stats

This is a discussion on Can you at least try to simulate realistic rebounding stats within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:30 PM   #1
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Can you at least try to simulate realistic rebounding stats

This has been issue since at least 2k11 or maybe 8. Bigs rebound too well. I'm using updated Trail Blazers rosters on Allstar and its so bad that in 10 minn qtr games, with Allstar sliders against the Heat and and Timberwolves both Towns and Adebayo had 20 rebounds. This is how I need to edit rosters to make it decent.

This is to all players with both rebounding stats.

NBA

6'7 -5
6'8 -10
6'9 -15
6'10 -20
6'11 -25
7 -30
7'1 -35
7'2 -40
7'3 -45
7'4+ -50

WNBA

5'11 -5
6 -10
6'1 -15
6'2 -20
6'3 -25
6'4 -30
6'5 -35
6'6 -40
6'7 -45
6'8 -50

It works better with the WNBA and its ok with simed games. If I can make it decent with roster edits this should be an easy fix. Next gen 2k21 fixed charges/blocks and that's been broken close to deace too. The fact that its this bad means the devs don't know its a problem or don't care. This should be obvious. Its a shame because the game simulates many things well but it doesn't even come close with rebound stats and the clear obvious reason is bigs rebound almost twice as well as they do in real life. You can't just tune the sliders because its all bigs men.

I think the root of the problem is obvious . You have box out ratings, hustle ratings, hands ratings, vert and stamina with a bunch of rebounding badges and psychics advantages due to height and wingspan. This makes the rebound ratings sorta redundant. Since the rebound factor where players are on the court players are not judged based on a curve that factors opportunity. This means that players have higher rebound ratings because they tend to get more total rebounds. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are good rebounders in context but they typically have good ratings that stack with the other advantages.

One other thing that stands out is its way too easy for me to score slashing with Lilllard than shooting. Dunks should be much harder to come by and threes should be easier.

This is concerning too after reading this gameplay quote.

Quote:
Another nice upgrade to dribble movement is height compensation. Last year, taller players could outpace shorter players with the same Speed with Ball rating.
Bigs are already too slow. Giannis and Brianna Stewart are problems because they outpace bigs not guards. They outpace bigs because bigs are generally too slow so the athletes who can handle the ball are ridiculous slashers in transition when guarded by 2k's slow tall players. NBA 2k generally needs more speed parity not less. Its already much too easy to score in transition with guards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Can you at least try to simulate realistic rebounding stats

Aren't there sliders in MyLeague to increase or decrease simulated stats? So you can basically make them whatever you want.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #3
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMG
Aren't there sliders in MyLeague to increase or decrease simulated stats? So you can basically make them whatever you want.

They're talking about actual gameplay not simulated games.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok

This is concerning too after reading this gameplay quote.

Bigs are already too slow. Giannis and Brianna Stewart are problems because they outpace bigs not guards. They outpace bigs because bigs are generally too slow so the athletes who can handle the ball are ridiculous slashers in transition when guarded by 2k's slow tall players. NBA 2k generally needs more speed parity not less. Its already much too easy to score in transition with guards.

You are absolutely right with that. Bigs in 2k are way too slow. Watch real games. Guys like Myles Turner are very quick in transition and are able to stay in fron or even chase down smaller players very often. While rotating in half court defense they are able to cover much ground to contest shots as help side defender quickly.
In 2k? Bigs mostly move like heavy trucks on ice. It takes ages for them to turn around and run to the basket. I can input the command "walk to the basket" while the ballhandler is still 2 meters away from his defender at the 3pt line and until the time the ballhandler finishes at the rim my center won't even be finished with turning around.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
They're talking about actual gameplay not simulated games.
In that case it's probably the Rebound Chaser badge. It inflates a player's rebound stats significantly. I'd just get rid of it for everyone except the very best rebounders, or maybe even entirely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Rookie

To me badges should only exist in my career. They do nothing for the NBA side of the game. Originally they were created to make players play "more like themselves" but on the NBA side it screws up the balance. Badges are just too arcade if ur looking for actual competitive basketball. Problem is when u remove badges its like the game doesnt understand how to function without em

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMG
In that case it's probably the Rebound Chaser badge. It inflates a player's rebound stats significantly. I'd just get rid of it for everyone except the very best rebounders, or maybe even entirely.
This was an issue before badges. Badges add personality to rebounding. Some players have a knack for tipping rebounds to themselves, tipping to teammates, jumping multiple times etc. Sliders are not a fix because it reduces everyone. Its a flat tax. The rich stay rich. It has to be a back end rating fix. The rebound ratings and Ai needs to be redone though not in a major way. I imagine modders could fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
You are absolutely right with that. Bigs in 2k are way too slow. Watch real games. Guys like Myles Turner are very quick in transition and are able to stay in fron or even chase down smaller players very often. While rotating in half court defense they are able to cover much ground to contest shots as help side defender quickly.
In 2k? Bigs mostly move like heavy trucks on ice. It takes ages for them to turn around and run to the basket. I can input the command "walk to the basket" while the ballhandler is still 2 meters away from his defender at the 3pt line and until the time the ballhandler finishes at the rim my center won't even be finished with turning around.
This is true. 2k22 fixed a lot of the animation boost. Bigs use to be slow until they went for a trailing steals or blocks and the flat speed of the animation gave them a speed boost. I'm glad that was removed. One exception is with rebounds. Probably the most unrealistic rebound that Towns grabbed was when was late getting back on defense until early brick gave him a rebound opportunity then he sprinted past everyone and grabbed it. We are in the age of the smaller athletic Center yet damn near everyone moves like old school stiffs and rebound like Hall of Famers.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

The problem with rebounds in this this game, is that All the missing shots are falling near the rim. You see a long rebound maybe 1 every 5 games and this is why I’m finishing games with 25-35 rebounds with players like giannis, Bam or Ad on Hof sliders

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »