Home

NBA2K release too early?

This is a discussion on NBA2K release too early? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
NBA2K release too early?

Does anyone else feel like the past few years 2K releases NBA2K a little to early. Didn't even realize the game is already coming out this Friday. NBA preseason doesn't start till OCT 3rd, regular season isn't until Oct 19th I believe. It seems like there are not alot of gameplay videos released so far. Reading through comments about the little we have seen so far that some people feel like the gameplay, graphics possibly won't be much improved from 2K21. Which will be very disappointing to us who have Next Gen systems. I would have love for them to release the game during the preseason or the week of regular season to give the devs more time for development or fixes, instead of a bunch of patches out the gate.

Maybe it's just me but I miss years ago when the game use to be release right before the season starts. It kind of got you pumped for the real NBA and NBA2K.

Last edited by STLRams; 09-07-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NBA2K release too early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Does anyone else feel like the past few years 2K releases NBA2K a little to early. Didn't even realize the game is already coming out this Friday. NBA preseason doesn't start till OCT 3rd, regular season isn't until Oct 19th I believe. It seems like there are not alot of gameplay videos released so far. Reading through comments about the little we have seen so far that some people feel like the gameplay, graphics possibly won't be much improved from 2K21. Which will be very disappointing to us who have Next Gen systems. I would have love for them to release the game during the preseason or the week of regular season to give the devs more time for development or fixes, instead of a bunch of patches out the gate.

Maybe it's just me but I miss years ago when the game use to be release right before the season starts. It kind of got you pumped for the real NBA and NBA2K.
As far as development purposes especially this year on a short cycle from last year with the late next gen release, yes probably too early. That’s an extra month to a month and a half of development time. But I’d say they possibly still are adding in that month to a patch down the road anyways so not sure if that’s a big difference or not?

However, as a guy who likes to edit rosters and playbooks I absolutely love the extra time to get the game dialed in before a season officially starts though. The only bad part is not being in the know with current seasons play styles with plays and playbooks with néw coaches until the season starts.

But roster makers can have rosters ready by the start of the season for offline guys rather than waiting til January so that’s a major plus IMO…

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 09-07-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Personally, I wish they would go back to releasing the game in October. I felt like I was more excited for the game due to the fact that the NBA season was just right around the corner. Now, I'll play the game and be bored with it before the season starts. Once the season starts, then my interest in the game renews.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Over the years I've gotten to the point that I never really get out of NBA/basketball mode, so I don't mind it personally. That and the fact that it's now the only sports game that's an "auto pick up" for me since Madden has just turned me completely off.

I get where you are coming from though.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I feel like this would have been the perfect year to push it back to a more natural release date (coinciding with the start of preseason, at least). With COVID, I'd imagine there's been a struggle to keep pace so one would think that extra time would be beneficial.

But I don't know, maybe their data says the first week of September is the prime time to release. Gauging from their abnormally shabby marketing of 2K22 to this point though (it's virtually non-existent just three days pre-release), I get the feeling these guys could have used the extra time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
MVP

My hunch is that 2K22 will be the real 2K21 next gen. In that 21 was the “rushed one” and this one will be what we should’ve got then. Something as simple as IF they correct the washed out colors will suggest.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
My hunch is that 2K22 will be the real 2K21 next gen. In that 21 was the “rushed one” and this one will be what we should’ve got then. Something as simple as IF they correct the washed out colors will suggest.
I 100% agree to this! It makes sense as well. I remember seeing a Lakers LeBron screenshot where the yellow seemed fixed which is interesting but warriors still looked washed out.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
Rookie

My guess is they want to get ahead of the other big video game releases like Battlefield 2042 and also patch/update any issues with the game before the NBA season/Holiday starts which is probably were they see the biggest surge in sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »