Home

Is there ANY way to get my midfield players to participate in defense?

This is a discussion on Is there ANY way to get my midfield players to participate in defense? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8

Every goal that I concede (which is an astonishing amount) - I watch the replay - and my LB/CB/CB/RB are (sort of) making an effort at defense (they are, at least, in the area of the box and/or marking a CPU attacking player).

But NO ONE from my midfield (CDM, LM, RM, CM) is even close to the 18-yard box ... they are ALL just standing in empty space. I simply cannot mark six CPU attacking players with only four of my defensive players ... it is not possible. Every. Time.

Edited to add: The opposite is NOT true when I am on attack ... it is NOT the case that the CPU defense is limited to only players from the back line. So why is this problematic game mechanic designed such that it only punishes the HUM team? What is the point of this?

Last edited by SpHSpH; 06-11-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Is there ANY way to get my midfield players to participate in defense?

It's that way to force you to take action. :/
Old 06-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH

Every goal that I concede (which is an astonishing amount) - I watch the replay - and my LB/CB/CB/RB are (sort of) making an effort at defense (they are, at least, in the area of the box and/or marking a CPU attacking player).

But NO ONE from my midfield (CDM, LM, RM, CM) is even close to the 18-yard box ... they are ALL just standing in empty space. I simply cannot mark six CPU attacking players with only four of my defensive players ... it is not possible. Every. Time.

Edited to add: The opposite is NOT true when I am on attack ... it is NOT the case that the CPU defense is limited to only players from the back line. So why is this problematic game mechanic designed such that it only punishes the HUM team? What is the point of this?

It’s the same way for the CPU Defense as well. That’s why it’s so easy to score with CAM and CMs. To combat EA faulty logic or the lack of understanding of the sport, On defense you should control one of your CDM for as long as possible. I basically run around all over the pitch with my CDM.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:14 AM   #4
Rookie

yeah u have to control your central midfielder the majority of the time and cut of the supply lines be ready to switch to your cbs and make a last ditch tackle if they play through you. i spend the majority of the time controlling central midfield players and full backs. its something you can get used too well u have too because defense by the cpu is terrible u gota do it yourselve
Old 06-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #5
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

FUT crowd complained about the AI doing to much on the Users team so you are forced to take control of every player in action in order to get them to do anything. You can test this by just selecting a striker and watch the AI do absolutely nothing as the CPU moves down field and score a goal. It's ridiculous
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
FUT crowd complained about the AI doing to much on the Users team so you are forced to take control of every player in action in order to get them to do anything. You can test this by just selecting a striker and watch the AI do absolutely nothing as the CPU moves down field and score a goal. It's ridiculous

Yes - but even if I do take active control of someone in my midfield and bring that player back to be part of defense ... if I switch to another teammate (because one of my CPU-controlled defensive players got beat) ... the midfield player that I had initially brought into the defense will then wander forward to the midfield and stand there and do nothing WHILE THE OPPONENT IS STILL ATTACKING MY GOAL.

I was thinking about this while watching a number of *real* soccer matches recently (UEFA Nations League, WC play-offs, MLS) ... and the number of players (on the defensive team) between the ball and the backline is often eight (or more) ... GK + 4 proper defensive players + 3 (or 4) midfield players. *Real* teams defend with numbers - this is basic soccer strategy. If the offense has more people than the defense - the defense has NO CHANCE to match them all.

Add this to the list of "disappointing things about the game that have happened as a result of FUT" ... that list is miles long ... online play has really ruined the FIFA experience (and, simultaneously, been a boom for EA's pocketbook ... so ... not surprising).
Old 06-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #7
Rookie

face2face's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Yes - but even if I do take active control of someone in my midfield and bring that player back to be part of defense ... if I switch to another teammate (because one of my CPU-controlled defensive players got beat) ... the midfield player that I had initially brought into the defense will then wander forward to the midfield and stand there and do nothing WHILE THE OPPONENT IS STILL ATTACKING MY GOAL.

I was thinking about this while watching a number of *real* soccer matches recently (UEFA Nations League, WC play-offs, MLS) ... and the number of players (on the defensive team) between the ball and the backline is often eight (or more) ... GK + 4 proper defensive players + 3 (or 4) midfield players. *Real* teams defend with numbers - this is basic soccer strategy. If the offense has more people than the defense - the defense has NO CHANCE to match them all.

Add this to the list of "disappointing things about the game that have happened as a result of FUT" ... that list is miles long ... online play has really ruined the FIFA experience (and, simultaneously, been a boom for EA's pocketbook ... so ... not surprising).
I agree with everything you said.

2 things:
a) it's better (not perfect) on next-gen (i think you're still on old-gen)
b) use the R1 to involve another player. it's helping a lot. (again, not perfect )
Old 06-23-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

This has been a fundamental problem with FIFA for years and years despite people complaining. It's a design choice. It's maddening when you watch your defense literally back pedal and allow a strike to waltz into the box uncontested and just unleash a shot while they watch.

The other aspect is how your players will just stare at a loose ball they could clearly take. But no, we need to stare at it.

It's a design choice, to force gamers to control more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »