Home

OS Forum "Life Hacks"

This is a discussion on OS Forum "Life Hacks" within the Steve's Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Steve's Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
OS Forum "Life Hacks"

This list probably won't end up being too long, because pro users probably know everything there is to know about this site (or most message boards in general). But what are some things that you do or know about that help your forum experience? This might include some helpful hints for people who use Tapatalk.

For example:
  • In the Options section of the User CP, you can set the number of viewable posts per page from the default (10) to the maximum (40). You could also change it to as few as five posts if you would like, but I figure people would always look to have more if they can.

• If you click on the 'number of replies' link for any one thread, it will show how many posts you have in that thread. If you click on your post count for that thread, it will display all of your posts in that thread (maybe you can hunt for a post easier that way).

• OS Real Time is available under the Quick Links drop-down menu above. It shows every post made on the forum without the need to refresh the page. The only real drawback to this is it does not hide text wrapped in spoiler tags.

• The multi-quote button (the 'plus' sign with quotation marks at the bottom of posts) is an easy way to quote multiple posts at once. Press one of those, then press "Quote" for another one, and your post that you type will show up as you start to type out your next post.

• Are you at work and you don't want to be caught on OS? Change the forum skin using the drop-down box on any page from your current skin (for instance, mine is "OS 2.0 Default") to the "OS 1.0 I'm At Work" skin. the pages will be white and avatars will disappear, making it look a bit like a normal page if a superior passes by your station.

• Are you at work and you can't get on OS because it's blocked? Try http://www.osatwork.com/ and see if it passes through the page block filter your site has.

If people have other little things that they do or know about, no matter how obvious it may seem or how inconsequential it is, go ahead and throw them out there to potentially help a somebody. Maybe if people know better thread search techniques, or something about BB code that could help.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: OS Forum "Life Hacks"

Anyone have any alternative to finding out when people quote you in a post(like a possible notification anytime someone does directly quote one of your posts)?

I know you can just be like "just search your username in a thread and see if anyone quoted you", but I don't always read threads I post in after I post in them so it would've been nice to have a feature like that. Maybe one exists and I'm not aware of it?

I remember on another site I was on, nobody knew the site had that feature and after looking for abit, I found out the site had it. The on-site notification whenever someone mentions you, likes your post, or quotes your post is easily the most useful/greatest feature I've ever seen on any forum I've been on.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Some posters have figured out how to get around the 10 character minimum. I'm not one privy to that info, but I am jealous of those that are.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

[URL> Jr. < / U R L]

Man that was hard to do...it needs to be URL then /URL with <> around both

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 04-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

< /u r l >

Without any spaces.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

You can actually see the < url > (no spaces, BTW) if you search the poster's posts. It will show most of the time.
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 04-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Some posters have figured out how to get around the 10 character minimum. I'm not one privy to that info, but I am jealous of those that are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
[URL> Jr. < / U R L]

Man that was hard to do...it needs to be URL then /URL with <> around both
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
< /u r l >

Without any spaces.
Heh, I never thought of that. I always turned some extra font white, but then again I'm guessing some of the forum's skins don't have a white background in the text field.

(see what I did there, by the way? )
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

Wait a minute... I do it w/o the slash on the second one and it works just fine... am I doing something wrong?
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Steve's Forum »