Home
Feature Article
Is The Golf Club Destined to be the ECW of Sports Games?

If The Golf Club was a wrestling federation, it would be mid-1990s ECW. Both products were born from and designed around the belief that the status quo in their respective industries had become stale and antiquated.

For ECW, its deviations from the norm included three-way and four-way dances, letting every imaginable foreign object into the ring, and getting rid of disappointing, anti-climactic endings, such as count-outs, disqualifications, time-limit expirations, and wimpy schoolboy pinfalls. The company chose to let one man, Joey Styles, broadcast the match commentary all by himself, calling each move and hold by its real name, instead of having three cornball announcers cracking lame jokes and labeling every suplex variation a "throw."

As great as the wrestling was, ECW matches were also notable for how they interacted with and responded to the fans, instead of ignoring their chants, confiscating their signs, and keeping the action confined to the ring, to avoid any potential lawsuits. The creative team encouraged every ECW wrestler to improvise his or her interviews, instead of forcing athletes to recite lines that were being penned by ex-Hollywood screen writers. This process spawned believable characters like The Sandman and Raven -- the kind of seedy, miserable anti-heroes you were more likely to see fighting on the street after last call outside a dilapidated Philadelphia slum than appearing on commercials every Saturday morning during Warner Bros. cartoons.

Just as promoter Paul Heyman had to leave WCW -- “Where the big boys play!” -- and assume creative control of his own company before reaching his potential in the wrestling business, the developers behind The Golf Club, HB Studios, had to quit making "Legacy Edition" ports for EA Sports before the tiny Nova Scotian dev. team could begin achieving sports gaming greatness.

For The Golf Club, HB Studios' new spin on a familiar pastime (they coded the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10) centers on avoiding the financial trap that league licensing often creates for smaller sports titles. Understanding their lack of box-art pedigree, HB Studios chose to debut its greener-than-grass golfing simulator as a $35 digital download, instead of immediately taking on the formidable costs of manufacturing and shipping a $60 boxed game to hundreds of Walmarts and GameStops.

Rather than hiding the game's shortcomings behind carefully worded press releases and zoomed-in, highlight-reel trailers, HB Studios let PC gamers play a work-in-progress STEAM Early Access build of The Golf Club months before its official release, so that fans could help accelerate its improvement during development. Like most of the self-published games in STEAM's locker room, The Golf Club has embraced and promoted user-generated content, letting its players publish custom courses that sit alongside the game's default collection.

Recent console releases from super-publishers like Take-Two Interactive and Electronic Arts, by contrast, have blocked users from adding any new content to their titles, unless players purchase costly, corporate-made downloadable content. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14's 14-course DLC pack, for example, was a $40 addition to a $60 game. For just $35, The Golf Club offers an evergreen service that can be readily updated, without needing to be remarketed and rereleased every 12 months with a different number next to its name.

While other sports games are paying multiple programmers to build boring tutorials and silly skills training minigames that most players just skip past, The Golf Club simply has one team member -- who also serves as the in-game announcer -- posting instructional videos to YouTube.

The group's efficient planning is also evident in The Golf Club's present feature set, which has prioritized popular social and competitive multiplayer modes over the old-fashioned offline solo experience.

Perhaps most impressively, HB Studios has created the rare type of sports game in which user skill (alone) will determine who wins and who loses every match; the outcome of tournaments and head-to-head bouts is never tilted by who picked the higher-rated team, who spent the most money opening virtual card packs, who equipped the best attribute-boosting gear, or whose character has grinded out the most experience points. In The Golf Club, the only way to get ahead of your peers is to get better at playing golf.

In the coming months, fans will see if HB Studios' innovative approach to producing sports titles pays off, or if -- like ECW -- The Golf Club becomes another niche passion project that couldn't turn a profit. The game's sales data hasn't been publicized yet, but after six days on the PlayStation Network store, it holds a four-star customer rating and has 332
unique "thumbs up." Little Brook Manor, the most-played course on The Golf Club's PS4 leaderboards, shows only 3,000 completed rounds. Electronic Arts' NHL 15 demo, which also arrived on the PlayStation 4 last Tuesday, has a five-star rating and over 4,000 thumbs up, by comparison. On HB Studios' official forums, a passionate following has at least developed, much like the recurring crowd of smarks and misfits who used to fill the ECW Arena.

The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ps3veron @ 09/02/14 02:21 PM
Although bare bones, I love this game and anyone with even the remotest interest in the sport should give it a shot.

# 2 DirtyJerz32 @ 09/02/14 02:35 PM
This game is easily becoming my favorite golf game. Hot Shots and Golden Tee are up there too.

# 3 bowld @ 09/02/14 02:37 PM
I have been playing non stop since purchasing last week. Sure it could use a career mode of some sort but for what it is I am still loving it

# 4 PAPERNUT @ 09/02/14 03:12 PM
This is everything most have been asking for at OS for years from devs and sports games. A game that will grow with added content without the need to spend $60 every year, developers that listen and implement from the feedback of their customers, a game that sticks to realism in its sport. I'm not sure what else you could ask for at this point. Game is already my GOTY and it will only get better as the devs have time to implement more to it in the future.

# 5 addybojangles @ 09/02/14 04:08 PM
Kudos to the HB Studios team on being completely transparent during *EVERY* step of the process. It's a big deal, especially with the tactics from EA Sports as of late.

# 6 GrandMaster B @ 09/02/14 04:39 PM
Really great game. Will only get better.

# 7 rolltide1017 @ 09/02/14 05:19 PM
The reason I love this game so much is because it has none of the fluff. I've never understood why some people cared so much about putting on a digital Nike shirt or having digital Callaway clubs when the core gameplay was a bad representation of the sport.

I hope they never add anything like skill attributes, I love the fact that everyone is on the same level playing field and the only way to get better is to play the game better. That is so refreshing in an age where you can basically buy your way to the top of every other sports game. I don't think a career mode is need either, we can create our own tours which will serve as the career. When not playing a tour you just go play a round of golf, like we all do in real life, no career needed IMO.

TGC is the best representation of the game of golf I've ever experienced on a console. Yes, there may be some rough edges but, the core gameplay is so good that those edges just fade into the background IMO. I can't wait to see what HB Studios has in store for this game in the future. I really hope it is a huge financial success for them, or at least enough to continue to put time into its development.

I have been a long time supporter of EA's series, even with it's short comings. I was looking forward to seeing what EA could do with the PS4/XB1 and was excited about the information they were going to release at E3... then they released that trailer. My interest took a huge hit but, I was still holding out hope that EA could surprise us because I love golf. Unfortunately for EA, I didn't expect to love TGC so much. I'm not sure I'll even give EA's game another look. With EA's track record, there is just no way they will be able to match the gameplay in TGC and that is all that matters to me. TGC is the only golf game I need.

# 8 NYJin2011tm @ 09/02/14 06:09 PM
I too was leery of buying this, especially with no career mode. After reading everyone's impressions here I took the plunge and glad I did. Just love the challenge of the many different courses available.

# 9 packermatt @ 09/02/14 07:57 PM
Completely agree with the comments here. It's a good game now and it sure seems like HB studios is going to make it a great game through the coming updates.

The gameplay is realistic and challenging, and the course creator is fantastic. I couldn't care less about using brand name clubs or seeing shirts with logos, so this game has everything I need (well, almost everything, but by the time the developers complete their updates, I'm confident it will be great)

# 10 greenegt @ 09/02/14 08:47 PM
This is my favorite golf game ever, the best since Links 2004 on the xbox. So glad HB took a chance on it.

# 11 OnlookerDelay @ 09/02/14 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Really great game. Will only get better.
QFT! Based on what I'm picking up, I've got a very strong hunch that with update #2, it's going to have such significant improvements and enhancements that I'll be calling it The Golf Club 2! It's going to have a lot of golf gamers tossing their cookies

# 12 burjeffton @ 09/03/14 11:10 AM
I really have enjoyed this game. It is bare bones, but that's quite all right since they addressed GAMEPLAY first and nailed it. From here I hope HB Studios can leverage adding a lot more creation options, features, accessories to the game... It can only get better

# 13 GrandMaster B @ 09/03/14 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
QFT! Based on what I'm picking up, I've got a very strong hunch that with update #2, it's going to have such significant improvements and enhancements that I'll be calling it The Golf Club 2! It's going to have a lot of golf gamers tossing their cookies
Yeah, I just can't wait until they add more objects, themes and maybe even surface types for the course designer.

# 14 OnlookerDelay @ 09/03/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Yeah, I just can't wait until they add more objects, themes and maybe even surface types for the course designer.
Yep, all of the above are needed. What is conspicuous in its absence right now are roads, cartpaths, and fences. It's odd to see clusters of cars in a 'grass parking lot' with no roads leading to it? And fences are so frequently a landmark signature on golf courses. It sort of feels incomplete without all of these staples.

# 15 RumbleCard @ 09/03/14 03:32 PM
The ability to build on the core game sounds great and price is spot on but with no annual release or re-release as the game improves say a year or 18 months down the road where does the revenue come from?

New buyers from word of mouth is eventually going to simmer down. What sustains this business model?

# 16 ASB37 @ 09/03/14 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
The ability to build on the core game sounds great and price is spot on but with no annual release or re-release as the game improves say a year or 18 months down the road where does the revenue come from?

New buyers from word of mouth is eventually going to simmer down. What sustains this business model?
Some updates with more features will be paid DLC.

# 17 rolltide1017 @ 09/03/14 04:15 PM
Yea, I would expect some future updates to cost something, say a 2.0 or 3.0 update etc. They'd probably be more like expansion packs then updates, like Skyrim had, priced somewhere around $15. That's just a guess though. Honestly, this game is so great, they could charge me $35 a year and I'd be okay with that; as long as they continue to support the game with updates.

# 18 CbAgGa @ 09/03/14 06:06 PM
Ear 2 Ear reading the comments... Totally enjoy the game n props 2 HB Studios!!!!

# 19 Jgainsey @ 09/03/14 10:28 PM
I really haven't enjoyed a golf game like this in about a decade or so.

This game is good enough to where I think I may be able to get my 50 year old dad(I know, I know.. there are plenty of you guys here older than that, lol) back into to gaming with a PS4 and the help The Golf Club.

We used to play a ton of Links and some of the older TW back on the original Xbox when I was in high school, and it would be awesome to do something like that now that we're older and in different cities.

I don't know what the future holds for TGC, but they have made an evangelical supporter out of me. It's just awesome to be able to get into virtual golf like this again.

# 20 mmathaifighter @ 09/04/14 12:01 PM
From the get go this game reminded me of the original PGA Tour Golf games for the Sega Genesis in the early 90s. No power up clubs and balls nonsense, no super tees, no special boosts if you wore a Nike visor. It was you and the course and your score depended on how good you were. Granted it had the PGA license but the core game play is the same. I almost cried when I saw the way the green interface is set up. The flowing lines representing the breaks on the green was how I remembered it in my late teen years burning away many late night hours on my Sega. This is my question, I immediately DLed this to my GFs gaming PC, which, coincidentally she gives me very limited access to...and I read some of the reviews that said the PS4 version is choppy. Has that been corrected and is it bad enough to put a damper on the experience? I'll DL it again for my PS4 if the choppiness has been corrected or if it isnt really noticeable. I WOULD like to see the devs add a lot more for player editing options. The only thing I miss from TW is the ability to make myself a well built tattoed guy wearing a wife beater, kinda the way I look and wear when I go golfing IRL.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.