Home

New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12

This is a discussion on New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Part of it is a marketing tactic, hoping to hook people in that first week, so when the trial runs out they end up buying it.
That's fine, you still get to test it yourself before you spend your money, where all other DLC you have to buy it, and if you don't like it, oh well. No refunds.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #90
Rookie

OVR: 1

I didn't read through all 8 pages but the only reason any of this bothers me is that we don't hear it from EA. When EA is telling us about these features they should mention that you have to pay for it. They're very reasonably price this time (in my opinion), but I still have a problem with the deception. If no price is mentioned, we're going to assume it's free. Just be honest with us.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #91
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Seed
I didn't read through all 8 pages but the only reason any of this bothers me is that we don't hear it from EA. When EA is telling us about these features they should mention that you have to pay for it. They're very reasonably price this time (in my opinion), but I still have a problem with the deception. If no price is mentioned, we're going to assume it's free. Just be honest with us.
To be fair, I believe that it was originally accidentally revealed during one of their showings with IGN. Once they came out and officially announced it we were told the price. But, like I've said before this shouldn't have been touted as a "new feature" to the game but, rather PDLC. Sort of how The Show 11 did with "Advanced Stats". That was their only mistake, IMO.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #92
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
People love to whine. Every company looks to maximize profits. That is Capitalism which many like to tout....until it is actually at work.

If you think the cost of the game plus the add-ons that you "need" aren't worth it, then don't buy it. If enough people feel the same, then EA will have to change. Economics at work. But you aren't as entitled as you think you are, and EA doesn't owe you Jack.
True point about capitalism. On the flip side though as you pointed out consumers are given the right in a capitalist society to try and pressure changes from businesses through boycott's, investing less frequently, or by offering a willingness to pay more if the changes are made. Business has to provide a product people want after all though I freely admit few if any people will not find cause enough in this not to buy the game when they had been intending to buy it before. Neither side is entitled, but generally the better business model is pleasing the consumer.

Also, the issue of this being capitalism at work is currently being debated in court. Charging more because you have a monopoly in the market is not part of the investment and competition driven capitalist way of doing things that we supposedly pride ourselves on.

Personally, I think they have every right to charge more for DLC or for the game in general. I would like to see more competition in the NCAA football market though that would keep some of these charges in line, or from getting out of hand, but that is for the courts to decide along with the NCAA.

Last edited by UniversityofArizona; 05-26-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #93
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Good to see kotaku speak out against this. Someone has to, because apparently a lot of people enjoy being charged more. Hopefully more gaming sites do so in the future.
No, some people enjoy being given a CHOICE whether or not to pay more. The alternative is to simply raise the cost of the game for everyone, then you have no choice..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 05-26-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #94
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
No, some people enjoy being given a CHOICE whether or not to pay more. The alternative is to simply raise the cost of the game for everyone, then yo haven choice..
According to who exactly? Prove it.

You keep creating this false choice, "it's either DLC or raise the price." Says who? Trying to frame it as if DLC saves us money is lol, that's not the point of DLC at all.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #95
All Star

OVR: 8

I don't accept the "that is the norm now" mentality. It's becoming the norm because people are allowing it.

I probably won't end up using either tool as I tend to play mostly offline, and I don't have a problem with them charging a $3 fee to access all the internet tools. Like many others though, I have a problem with them basically charging an additional fee to use it.

I actually like DLC in many cases as they tend to re-fresh a game that has been out for a while. I despise this current trend of releasing DLC the day/week of release though. If worked on it, it seemed like a good feature, and had time to install it onto the game at release then it better be included in the $60 price tag you are charging people to buy it. Paid DLC should come at a later date as something that is something that is an extra service the developers provided to you.

I also tend to agree with the quote in the article about listening to your fanbase and then when you implement that feature you charge them for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #96
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
EA doesn't own NCAA football rights, only Madden. There are other football games. Backbreaker, Blitz, not all are new but they are there and could be made. Don't blame EA for making a good game that no one else can compete with. The market is too small for someone to make another NCAA game. I'm not saying you can swap NCAA out for just any game, but you can look for an alternative. I like the Beatles, it is too expensive so I look for something similar, or just try to find something else I like.
Wrong. EA has an exclusivity deal with the NCAA and is the only company that can produce a college football game using the actual teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »