Home

Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #57
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine.Six.Melo
Can someone give me a tip on how to switch to a DB when the ball is in the air and not take him out the play when I try to make a play on the ball

I rush the passer to force fast throws but when I switch to my DB to either pick it off or make a play on the catch I overrun the receiver or just take my DB out of the play and its costing me games.
IF you're struggling with this, try turning switch assist on. It keeps the DB CPU controlled for a moment after you have switched so you can get your bearings and make a play.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #58
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
Can anyone give me tips on how to stop runs from the gun formation? Especially inside zone runs. I mostly play a friend who is real good at it. I am not good at hitting the gaps and he's so good at blocking with his OL. I can't stop it for some reason. My defenders (mostly LBs) always gets sucked into the OL instead of hitting the gap properly. Please give me some indepth pro/expert tips
Difference between runs in the gun vs under centre, when under centre, the HB is already going north-south (ish, unless its a stretch or toss). In the gun the HB has to come across the QBs body east-west. Are you giving up big runs to the outside when they are playing the gun-run? If so, audible your DL closer together and your OLBs to line up wide outside, this gives you a 6-1 look and really limits the outside runs and forces the HB back to the middle where there is a huge cluster of DL. In the 3-4, if you are getting beat outside, audible your MLB's to spread but the 3 DL to pinch, same thing.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #59
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

A&S has sliders out already? Wow that was quick.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #60
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Can someone explain to me shading coverages over under inside and outside? The pros, cons, and when I should use them and when I shouldn't. Thank you so much.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #61
Just started!

Zone defense, hard flats are still giving up wide open passes to the flat. What am I doing wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #62
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Can someone explain to me shading coverages over under inside and outside? The pros, cons, and when I should use them and when I shouldn't. Thank you so much.
I found this to have minimal effect in zone coverage in M16. Haven't tried it much yet with M17 but the pros & cons of zone shading will be the same as I've listed below if it works better for zones in M17.

Pro/cons for shading in Man coverage:

Under - use this if you think the pass will be a short or medium throw. This leaves you vulnerable to an over the top deep ball.

Over- Use this if you think the pass will be deep to keep your defender over the top of the WRs route. (3rd & 15+, hail marry plays, etc)
This leaves your DB vulnerable to underneath short/medium throws.

Inside- If your opponent is running a lot on ins/slants/etc where the WR breaks to the inside use this. This keeps your DB to the inside of the WR but leaves you vulnerable to outside routes, flags, etc.

Outside- The opposite of inside, this keeps your DB to the outside of the WR towards the sidelines.

Basically you don't want to shade the same way unless you are playing someone who only looks to throw the same type routes over & over or looks for the same thing every 3rd down. Each one has its pros & cons. It is also subject to your DBs ratings, so if your DB doesn't have good cover attributes or PRC he will struggle defending any route except fly/go routes where the WR makes no cut or route other than running in straight line.

Personally here's how I use them.

Under- 3rd & 12 or less & my opponent runs a west coast style offense with short & quick passes.

Over- 3rd & 12 or more or hail marry plays where I assume my opponent is trying to hit a go route. (think 4 verts)

Inside- Only when I play someone who will continue to only try hit slant routes for his 1st downs. You can get burned outside but trying it will let you know whether they are going to keep trying to force those throws inside.

Outside- I probably use this the least. Sometimes in drives where my opponent is trying to get out of bounds with time running down. I find putting your DB close by in a purple zone (curl to flat) works best to take away the flag route better than just only shading.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #63
Rookie

Dang3rousPeach's Arena

I've been getting beat by people running streaks and then just lobbing it up in a 1v1.. My issue usually is that I run the corner out of position while switching to defend (I over run the landing spot and haven't figured out how to be in the right spot to contest)
What's the best way to set this scenario up so I can practice?
I also sometimes struggle with the deep posts where i switch to the safety and then shoot myself in the foot with poor positioning...
Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #64
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3rousPeach
I've been getting beat by people running streaks and then just lobbing it up in a 1v1.. My issue usually is that I run the corner out of position while switching to defend (I over run the landing spot and haven't figured out how to be in the right spot to contest)
What's the best way to set this scenario up so I can practice?
I also sometimes struggle with the deep posts where i switch to the safety and then shoot myself in the foot with poor positioning...
You can switch and don't hit the LS to let the cpu guide you, just make sure you hold the play ball, play man or swat button

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »