Home

Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
This'll never be by "main" mode, but I'm excited to give it a go. Could be a lot of fun.

I hope they license a few college teams and let us start there. I'd love to relive Carson Wentz' path to the NFL. Take a small college through the FCS playoffs, if only to juxtapose the crowd size when you hit the NFL. Also, NDSU, please, NDSU

Don't give me any control over where I go. I know a lot of people will disagree, but draftees don't get to choose their team. Don't let me.
I like that idea. But its hard for me to see them incorporate any NCAA teams due to past legal issues. I think it was easier for NBA 2k because they didn't have the same issues. I would love to see them try that in near future. But the only way I see them doing that is if they want to try to bring NCAA football back and see how gamers feel about it in Madden.
But it would be interesting to see how they incorporate it. Can't do a full season. Would have to do it similarly to how NBA 2k did it this year. Where play few games
Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #34
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Another thought - I feel like Story Mode could be a useful bridge for new Madden players to help create the next generation of long-time Madden players.

Let's face it, Franchise mode can be extremely intimidating to a new player from a depth-of-gameplay perspective - there are so many things a user must learn how to do quickly and without much guidance in order to be successful. Us sim guys have a lot of knowledge baked into our heads from sheer experience, meanwhile new guys struggle to understand what the salary cap even is. Meanwhile, Ultimate Team and Draft Champions have high barriers to entry as well on account of the high number of people who already know how to play Madden well so they just steam-roll any new users.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Story Mode have a secondary focus on organically teaching gameplay mechanics in an actual gameplay setting with more meaningful consequences for success and failure, i.e. not just shoving all the teaching tools in the Skills Trainer box on the side.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #35
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

So in FIFA you're limited to being a striker or wing I believe. Don't think you can be a defender or midfielder. Wonder if madden will follow suit. Thinking we may only be able to play qb so they can showcase the new passing system
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #36
Rookie

Darkwolf90's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
So in FIFA you're limited to being a striker or wing I believe. Don't think you can be a defender or midfielder. Wonder if madden will follow suit. Thinking we may only be able to play qb so they can showcase the new passing system
That is something else I'd be worried about, I didn't think about that before. I hope they don't lock us as a QB or Offensive player only. I prefer to play DB or LB.
NHL: San Jose Sharks
NCAA: LSU Tigers
Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90
That is something else I'd be worried about, I didn't think about that before. I hope they don't lock us as a QB or Offensive player only. I prefer to play DB or LB.
I hope not. I don't think they would since last few years in CFM we had ability to pick almost every position.
I like playing as a lot of different positions.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Another thought - I feel like Story Mode could be a useful bridge for new Madden players to help create the next generation of long-time Madden players.

Let's face it, Franchise mode can be extremely intimidating to a new player from a depth-of-gameplay perspective - there are so many things a user must learn how to do quickly and without much guidance in order to be successful. Us sim guys have a lot of knowledge baked into our heads from sheer experience, meanwhile new guys struggle to understand what the salary cap even is. Meanwhile, Ultimate Team and Draft Champions have high barriers to entry as well on account of the high number of people who already know how to play Madden well so they just steam-roll any new users.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Story Mode have a secondary focus on organically teaching gameplay mechanics in an actual gameplay setting with more meaningful consequences for success and failure, i.e. not just shoving all the teaching tools in the Skills Trainer box on the side.
Honestly that how it was for me with Franchise when I started Madden, as far of understanding out side of gameplay. What helped me was NCAA Dynasty mode. Learning to recruit well by taking the time. I can imagine for a new user it is very intimidating. Scouting, practices, and then draft. I imagine most would just focus on playing games then just Free Agency.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #39
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Honestly that how it was for me with Franchise when I started Madden, as far of understanding out side of gameplay. What helped me was NCAA Dynasty mode. Learning to recruit well by taking the time. I can imagine for a new user it is very intimidating. Scouting, practices, and then draft. I imagine most would just focus on playing games then just Free Agency.

What r kids learning on their own these days?!! Lol. I say that in all jest. But, idk, at least by 13, I understood all aspects of football without having played on a team. GM, HC, OC/DC, scouting, salary cap, etc. I mean, as a boy in America, I thought that was sort of required knowledge. Lol. I just loved the sport so much, I watched sports center and whatnot and paid attention to salary cap stuff for my team especially. Of course, I was a kid when the salary cap was introduced, lol. So, for me, at a young age back in the day b4 franchise mode even existed, I wanted all that stuff in there. And, when it was added, it was easy to figure out, just had to figure out exactly how madden set it up. But, I understand CM Hoe is talking about casuals, I guess. But, I think I'll still never understand why someone would buy madden if they didn't already understand football. Lol. But, it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #40
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

I understand where some of you are coming from with the whole "I want it to be my story" in a sports game. But what if they gave us a character with his own back story and motivations and all that but what we did with him on and off the field changed the story? Cause in most games that allow choice with a pre set character (Witcher 3, any TellTale game for example) that's how it works. Would you be down for that?

Let me be clear I'm not talking about making Madden Story into a long RPG or anything but those elements of choice and having it affect the story, I'm all for that. Plus for me it's fun to put myself in another characters shoes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »