Home

As a community we cannot accept the current CPU QB play.

This is a discussion on As a community we cannot accept the current CPU QB play. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #121
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: As a community we cannot accept the current CPU QB play.

True gamebreaker, may cancel my pre order

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #122
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
EA Play consisted mostly of H2H Play, but I did squeeze in a couple of series before another jumped on the sticks.

The big difference I see between what was played to what I see in the vids, is the coverage was very tight on pass plays.
- you couldn't wait until a guy was open to throw to him
- Passing windows were small
- crossing routes were difficult to complete for gains
- User QB's were forced to step up, couldn't just run outside tackles and outrun
- Stamina during gameplay was very pronounced
- Speed of the game was slower

They've heard the displeasures about the change in gameplay since EA Play, so many will see on Thursday what's what.

One thing for sure, the "Sim" community better get their act together and come together on things they would like tuned per Sim Play Style.

So splintered right now as a group.
Like other than beating down the doors at EA, I don't know how the "Sim community" can do anything else to tell Rex, Clint, and whoever else that we're unhappy that we still have the same broken mechanics year after year.

We've been very vocal about the QB AI awareness, the RB juking issue, the lack of a challenge system that works, the broken and non-working intentional grounding penalty that never gets called. I don't include the Zone defense issue because we're not even 100% sure what's going on with that yet.

Wishlist threads, Bug report threads, Constant tweets to the devs, a very popular, in-depth and intuitive thread by Deuce??

I don't understand the meaning behind "we better get our act together". If I won the $500 million lottery I'll just pay them to make the game right, but I can't. I'm so broke I can't pay attention these days.

What else can we do?

Last edited by extremeskins04; 08-14-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #123
MVP

OVR: 3

I'm waiting until I hear some impressions. If it's not much different than 17, I'm getting the older game I think. I guess the CPU QB was just as bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #124
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
What do you guys consider a rebuild? A graphical one? Animations? AI? Features?

I think you guys dont realize how expensive that would be even if it was just animations.

What you guys are suggesting is that EA pour millions more into development (Mocap sessions and talent/QA/Employee hours to add the animations to the game) and lose millions either through not selling a NFL game for a few years or selling a roster update.

All for a game that millions of people love the way it is. As someone said earlier, the reason they skipped years with Live is because people stopped buying the game. They had no other choice. That isnt the case here. ****, the people who are most annoyed by these issues cant find the strength to buy the game used.
You mention in a post, the core of the game. Get a good base, and my previous statement holds.

If the game needs recoded, take the time to do it, but give us a game they can progressively ship updates for the rebuild cycle that keeps the game fresh and up to date.

I honestly have to believe they have a new game being built, just not being utilized, and i also believe they have a version of ncaa updated and running for when the time comes.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #125
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
EA Play consisted mostly of H2H Play, but I did squeeze in a couple of series before another jumped on the sticks.

The big difference I see between what was played to what I see in the vids, is the coverage was very tight on pass plays.
- you couldn't wait until a guy was open to throw to him
- Passing windows were small
- crossing routes were difficult to complete for gains
- User QB's were forced to step up, couldn't just run outside tackles and outrun
- Stamina during gameplay was very pronounced
- Speed of the game was slower

They've heard the displeasures about the change in gameplay since EA Play, so many will see on Thursday what's what.

One thing for sure, the "Sim" community better get their act together and come together on things they would like tuned per Sim Play Style.

Let me ask you this. Did you play only the Xbox one X version of the game? Did they have xbox one and PS4 versions of the game also? I'm willing to bet, the reason why gameplay was so different at EA play is because it wasn't the xbox one/ps4 version of the game..... Which would also explain why they didn't want people filming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #126
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Why would people expect better AI with a graphics engine change? Also, people are asking for a rebuild and thats what my point was addressing. Adding new animations and physics on top of the current system isnt a rebuild. FYI, there are new animations. There are new physics related to the running game.

Now a rebuild is expensive. Completely new mo-cap for every position group is expensive. You want RBs/WRs to have signature running styles....thats more mocap and thats expensive. More DL/OL interactions....more expensive mocap.
A complete rebuild means they probably have to sit out releasing a game for 2 yrs. EA swims in money? Well not after it decides not to release its second highest selling sports game for 1-2 years.
Me personally...I'm not as concerned about animations or mode features. I'm interested in gameplay AI. When I run the ball, I don't want my LT to suddenly get see a phantom bee and start running backwards 10 yards or my LB just stand still as if he's playing Simon Says with my opponent.

Joking aside, things like suction blocking or what the OP is talking about, statue QBs...that doesn't scream animations or a huge budget in mo-caps, gameplay features, etc.. Simply code to define what action the QB should take - maybe (thinking out loud here), a calculation to determine what the probability is that the QB would be hit given the attributes of the defensive line vs. the offensive line at each frame and then bump that against the AWR of the QB to determine IF he should move (and subsequent calculations to determine where). Again, that's my simple mind that I know doesn't answer nor solve the more complicated code within Madden.

That's not millions of dollars worth of a budget but I'm sure would constitute an investment of time for EA's current programmers - or more additional workforce. Either way...I do agree...there is a cost involved that EA would have to include in scope when mapping out the next year's iteration and vision as it's likely not a quick fix like most here think it is.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 08-15-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #127
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Like other than beating down the doors at EA, I don't know how the "Sim community" can do anything else to tell Rex, Clint, and whoever else that we're unhappy that we still have the same broken mechanics year after year.

We've been very vocal about the QB AI awareness, the RB juking issue, the lack of a challenge system that works, the broken and non-working intentional grounding penalty that never gets called. I don't include the Zone defense issue because we're not even 100% sure what's going on with that yet.

Wishlist threads, Bug report threads, Constant tweets to the devs, a very popular, in-depth and intuitive thread by Deuce??

I don't understand the meaning behind "we better get our act together". If I won the $500 million lottery I'll just pay them to make the game right, but I can't. I'm so broke I can't pay attention these days.

What else can we do?
Competitive/Tourney side is more uniform dealing with the things they want done to the game and most importantly, they in general approach the devs about the issues with some common sense, that's why things get done for them.

Just read "20" post to the devs from "Sim" gamers from any medium the devs visit and it will be very evident what I meant.

Even Millennium did a thread on the very subject so that if as OP suggest, in order to accomplish the change this community desires, there must be a unified voice.

We (Sim) have the ability to have the game tuned to reflect our desires dealing with concerns such as the OP, but if we keep coming at them via the same manner/tone thus far, very little is going to get accomplished to our liking.

I really feel this forum community has some of the most creative members of any forum that's on the internet and really believe this could be the lead think-tank that gaming developers can visit for ideas/ways to push the games to greater heights.

Deuce's write up is the perfect example of the type of structured feedback that catches their eyes.

If we just directed our focus towards helping each other present our issues/ideal fixes in the similiar manner, so much would get done to the game on our behalf, so much faster.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #128
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

Yup, I totally agree because the sim style gameplay audience is heterogeneous. You got true "sim heads" who will not only want to play by sim rules but also play sim by not trying to exploit weaknesses of the game engine. You got more casual people who want to play by authentic NFL rules but will want a little more laid-back experience. Then you got people who have a stick-skill driven gameplay style that is closer to the competitive gaming style but they will want to have injuries, penalties, ratings-effects, etc that you don't get in the competitive gaming mode.

I feel like that lack in homogeneity (relative to the target audiences of the other two styles) will make the sim style the most difficult of the three to balance for EA.

Last edited by JoshC1977; 08-15-2017 at 12:50 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »