Home

Very Slow is incredible and the way the game should be played

This is a discussion on Very Slow is incredible and the way the game should be played within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Very Slow is incredible and the way the game should be played

Isn't it great having options. I hope the NCAA devs, and every other game developer appreciate this thread as much as I did. Options = fighting amongst ourselves rather than fighting developers and game companies.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #18
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

WOW! The blocks are happening... my linemen aren't running in the wrong direction! This is the thread of the year... THANK YOU.

Edit: And I have more time to actually make a cut.

Last edited by TeamBuilder; 09-06-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I admit, even coming from playing on Slow, it took me a bit to adapt to Very Slow but all is good now. No complaints here.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Also worth mentioning is that I'm an old-head (relatively speaking), being 37 and having played Madden since the '92 game on the Genesis. To me, the extremely slow pace of Very Slow isn't a bother at all. I had no problem adjusting to it and actually prefer it, probably because my stick skills just ain't what they used to be. I can see, however, how some might be so put off by the slow pace that they just couldn't stomach it. I get a pretty antsy feeling these days when I fire up the ol' Genesis and throw in a Madden or NHL. They seem dead-dog slow, compared to my current expectations.

Just to be clear, though, I don't think the improvement in my enjoyment of the game is due to Very Slow being more kind to by geezer twitch skills. I am becoming convinced that the actual gameplay (away from my own button-mashing) unfolds better as the game slows down. If that really is so, I think this is an issue Ian should address. Before this post gets nuked: I don't mean this as a "Hey, Ian" post.

Last edited by CactusJunk; 09-06-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 16

Biggest improvement to me is this scenario:

You know that run play where you run a counter to the left.

about 90% of the time the defensive end or LB goes right around the FB or pulling guard with ease and knocks you down for a 2 yard loss.

if that block is made correctly then you are sprung.

well on normal speed or higher or even on slow...the defender blows up the run play and you see people come here and call the game broken and what not

well on very slow you can see the play developing and the block being made and if the defender is abe to shed the block you have the chance to cut back inside with the quick juke left stick.

it allows you to see things as they develop and that to me is the biggest difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJunk
Also worth mentioning is that I'm an old-head (relatively speaking), being 37 and having played Madden since the '92 game on the Genesis. To me, the extremely slow pace of Very Slow isn't a bother at all. I had no problem adjusting to it and actually prefer it, probably because my stick skills just ain't what they used to be. I can see, however, how some might be so put off by the slow pace that they just couldn't stomach it. I get a pretty antsy feeling these days when I fire up the ol' Genesis and throw in a Madden or NHL. They seem dead-dog slow, compared to my current expectations.

Just to be clear, though, I don't think the improvement in my enjoyment of the game is due to Very Slow being more kind to by geezer twitch skills. I am becoming convinced that the actual gameplay (away from my own button-mashing) unfolds better as the game slows down. If that really is so, I think this is an issue Ian should address. Before this post gets nuked: I don't mean this as a "Hey, Ian" post.

I have been playing madden a long time and my stick skills are as good as ever. it has nothing to do with being easier for slower thumb users.

it has to do with the speed and transition of plays. the way you see it on real tv with the nfl is the way it plays out on very slow.

people talk about nfl being super fast...and it is when you are on the football field playing..

but we are not and we have to see it like tv broadcast.

which very slow is the same as watching the game speed on tv
Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football4Natic
I have been playing madden a long time and my stick skills are as good as ever. it has nothing to do with being easier for slower thumb users.

it has to do with the speed and transition of plays. the way you see it on real tv with the nfl is the way it plays out on very slow.

people talk about nfl being super fast...and it is when you are on the football field playing..

but we are not and we have to see it like tv broadcast.

which very slow is the same as watching the game speed on tv
Like I said, I'm pretty sure I agree with you. In the words of he-who-shall-not-be-named, Very Slow feels a lot more like "true football being expressed" than anything I've seen from Madden before on my PS3. I have seen some frustrating things still crop on Very Slow, but at a very low frequency. Even I, as thick-headed and belligerent as I am, realize that you just have to live with some limitations in a video game, so those hiccups aren't wrecking the game for me. In all honesty, I was thisclose to trading in Madden 10 towards either Fallout or Batman. Right now, though, I'm seeing me keeping it and keeping it in regular rotation.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

I tend to agree...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »