Home

Madden NFL 13 Video - Gameplay With Jim Nantz and Phil Simms In-Game Commentary

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Video - Gameplay With Jim Nantz and Phil Simms In-Game Commentary within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #425
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 13 Video - Gameplay With Jim Nantz and Phil Simms In-Game Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
According to (I think it was a WSJ article) the ball is in play in a football game for 11 to 12 minutes of a 60 minute game. I've seen tv broadcasts where the color guy talks more than the play by play guy. The challenge in a radio broadcast is telling the listener what 22 guys are doing and all the potential angles you may want to describe. On tv, not so much. Football has a play clock, but in an NFL broadcast there is time for a replay and a telestrator and color commentary. The challenge of putting it into a video game is that a theme will go on for an entire drive / game. "That's why the Seahawks have big corners...to make plays like that." then 3 plays later, "again just look at the size of Browner. He's able to jump with Fitzgerald. Pete Carroll knew what he was up against in the NFC West and he knew he needed a big secondary." so on and so forth.

In baseball there is more time for a story, but the conversational element- the back and forth , is similar in baseball and football. They're more analogous than you think.
Glad to know someone else has this viewpoint. While the ball is in play they're obviously very different, but the pacing is very close.

Last edited by ChaseB; 05-21-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #426
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Madden NFL 13 Video - Gameplay With Jim Nantz and Phil Simms In-Game Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Three words, no thank you.

Repetitive and nauseating voice.
I really thought it would go unnoticed but here's why I would like to see it again:

Repetitive ESPN radio that tells me the same real life story for a month or a repetitive Tony Bruno who talks about my franchise?

Hmmm...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #427
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
I really thought it would go unnoticed but here's why I would like to see it again:

Repetitive ESPN radio that tells me the same real life story for a month or a repetitive Tony Bruno who talks about my franchise?

Hmmm...
With the same call-in questions?

And like some other people said, maybe the Tony show could have been improved with more time, but that is something we'll never know.

Sorry, just never liked Tony Bruno's addition to the game. Different strokes.........
Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #428
Rookie

SkillzKillz719's Arena

OVR: 17
Lol. Thats all I gotta say.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #429
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

OVR: 0
The commentary just sounds odd, Jim Nantz has no emotion whatsoever when the teams score. They went from Gus Johnson screaming at times and silent at others to Jim Nantz sounding monotone on every score. Phil Simms sounds solid and is a major upgrade over Collinsworth but we havent seen a good play by play guy in a Madden game since Al Michaels.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #430
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
The commentary just sounds odd, Jim Nantz has no emotion whatsoever when the teams score. They went from Gus Johnson screaming at times and silent at others to Jim Nantz sounding monotone on every score. Phil Simms sounds solid and is a major upgrade over Collinsworth but we havent seen a good play by play guy in a Madden game since Al Michaels.
Did you listen to the audio in the podcast from last week? It sounds better than this video clip. The video clip is from a older build.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #431
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Did you listen to the audio in the podcast from last week? It sounds better than this video clip. The video clip is from a older build.
lol "old build" it sounds the same to me as well.. bland and emotionless
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #432
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
lol "old build" it sounds the same to me as well.. bland and emotionless
I haven't seen many on here who would agree. Most people have said they thought it was better in the newer clips from the podcast. Jim Nantz is not Gus Johnson, he doesn't get as excited as him, heck no other announcer does that I know of. The newer clips sound more balanced and more like Nantz does in real life, they don't have a clip of him calling a touchdown in the new clips from the podcast either. He does show emotion in the first clip on the 1st down call.

46:58 Antonio Brown 1st Down (just an example of Nantz' balanced approach)

20:23 Lesean McCoy picks up 1st down

Last edited by jpdavis82; 05-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »