Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
You are rambling on about has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We can voice our displeasure constructively as baseball fans to have them improve the game.

There is no defensive swings in MLB that are done at will. To warrant a button. It doesn't happen. I have played baseball for 20 years of my life, coached, and even minor league levels, I wont indulge to you too much, but I will tell you from personal experience, and being around guys all the time, defensive swings are a result of missing your pitch. Nothing more. Nobody is taught to go up to the plate with a "defensive swing" in their minds. And this game puts that in the players minds.

You are always taught to put a ball in play in baseball from T-ball to the big leagues.

Checking is more crucial, and taken out. It is easy to judge a system with this glaring flaw before it comes out.

All or nothing swinging is not a sim. Sorry.

The arguments you present to me just don't make any sense to a baseball mindset.
Just curious.. is "protecting the plate" and a "defensive swing" related?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 47

I do see players try to foul pitches off though. So I call that a defensive swing, but check swings are huge too. They hold up their swing when they got fooled. You need to have check swing in a game to have a real battle with the pitcher in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
I think it is.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I do see players try to foul pitches off though. So I call that a defensive swing, but check swings are huge too. They hold up their swing when they got fooled. You need to have check swing in a game to have a real battle with the pitcher in my opinion.
I dunno. I"ll comment, then I"m out, but all my years of playing I have NEVER known a batter to try to foul a pitch off. They get "fooled" and might be better at getting a piece of the ball, but intentional defensive swings? Sorry, ain't buyin' it one bit.

Anyway, this can go on and on. Later, and good night to all.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #45
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

Protecting the plate is broadcasting lingo. The batter is still trying to put a ball in play, and is usually late on the swing and yes is defensive in a way (but not planned), where it is fouled off, but it is a result of him guessing the wrong pitch, or misreading it, and it ends up over the strike zone or close, thus he puts a late swing on it which usually results in a foul, but also a lazy grounder to first or third.

But in no means does he have an softer "get out of jail" swing where it is just for defensive purposes. He still tries to make contact and put it in play. It is what we are taught.

The way it is implemented in this game, it is a planned swing that really does nothing but to foul it off. It should not be incorporated this way, but incorporated in the TIMING of the hitting system with the regular hitting.

And check swings should be there instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
I dunno. I"ll comment, then I"m out, but all my years of playing I have NEVER known a batter to try to foul a pitch off. They get "fooled" and might be better at getting a piece of the ball, but intentional defensive swings? Sorry, ain't buyin' it one bit.

Exactly right Jim. Some hitters are better at making contact on bad pitches, or late swings, but they are by no means, intentionally fouling off pitches for "their pitch". That is all broadcasting hype.

Every time you commit to a swing, it is in hopes to put it in play.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 01-27-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I think it is.
I do too... just wondering why Enigma is saying that no hitter has this mindset of protecting the plate when batting. And for him to say a defensive swing is the result of missing a pitch, is incorrect. There are MLB players, present and past, who were good enough to foul off pitches they knew,or had a pretty good idea, were coming
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416

I disagree some time batters do get fooled, but some times they try to foul off that pitch to get a good pitch to hit. But I hear what you are saying. I don't think they go up to the plate with a defensive swing in mind. It just happens, so I agree with that Jim. So maybe I do agree you.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
I do too... just wondering why Enigma is saying that no hitter has this mindset of protecting the plate when batting. And for him to say a defensive swing is the result of missing a pitch, is incorrect. There are MLB players, present and past, who were good enough to foul off pitches they knew,or had a pretty good idea, were coming
Cause i think he has an agenda. (just my opinion) None of us know how it really works yet. We have to see it work. Batters do try to foul off pitches that are strikes, but in their cold zone. it happens all the time, but only great hitters can do it consistently.

We just need to see it for ourselves to see how it works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »