Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
I do too... just wondering why Enigma is saying that no hitter has this mindset of protecting the plate when batting. And for him to say a defensive swing is the result of missing a pitch, is incorrect. There are MLB players, present and past, who were good enough to foul off pitches they knew,or had a pretty good idea, were coming
Yeah I think it might be a little different. But I agree you. I know there were some good hitters at doing that. They would foul off some nasty pitch just by getting a piece of it, so the pitcher would throw something else next pitch.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Protecting the plate is broadcasting lingo. The batter is still trying to put a ball in play, and is usually late on the swing and yes is defensive in a way (but not planned), where it is fouled off, but it is a result of him guessing the wrong pitch, or misreading it, and it ends up over the strike zone or close, thus he puts a late swing on it which usually results in a foul, but also a lazy grounder to first or third.

But in no means does he have an softer "get out of jail" swing where it is just for defensive purposes. He still tries to make contact and put it in play. It is what we are taught.

The way it is implemented in this game, it is a planned swing that really does nothing but to foul it off. It should not be incorporated this way, but incorporated in the TIMING of the hitting system with the regular hitting.

And check swings should be there instead.
Ok so when a batter is in the hole with the count, say 0-2 or 1-2, they are trying to put the ball in play?

I have seen MLB players and guys I have played with in college.. whom could purposely foul off a breaking ball or high outside fastball, that was borderline strike, to stay alive. They certainly weren't trying to take a borderline pitch and put it in play on purpose. They were simply fouling off a pitch (because they were good enough), so they could work the count a bit more in hopes of the pitcher making a mistake with his next pitch
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Every time you commit to a swing, it is in hopes to put it in play.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. one thing that sets major leaguers apart from all other levels, even AAA, is the ability to keep fouling off pitches they can't handle. You might even go as far to say they have this ability to tire out a pitcher. That might be a little too much, but I know for a fact there are plenty of major league ball players who have the ability to foul off borderline pitches they know they rather not put in play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #52
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Well, you seem to be doing a pretty good job with your Manny analogy, lol. Let the people discuss this stuff without you trying to cover for 2k. Nobody really knows, but geez, c'mon. Somebody could say if you don't like what's being said, move on. I stay out of here, but I want the game to be good, but....just sayin'
I understand what you're saying jim, but it's becoming out of hand in the 2k forums. It seems like it's cool to bring up the same thing over and over in the 2k boards. It's the same people doing it and nothing gets done. I'm no appologist. 2k baseball has been bad for next gen period, but who doesn't know that? I want options and I hope 2k10 is good. I want 2 good baseball games. It sucks that there's no check swing, but do I bring it up every second to get my point across? This seems to be the norm on these boards lately. If this game is bad then I still have the other game which is great and I'm set.

Last edited by Artman22; 01-27-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #53
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I have seen MLB players and guys I have played with in college.. whom could purposely foul off a breaking ball or high outside fastball, that was borderline strike, to stay alive. They certainly weren't trying to take a borderline pitch and put it in play on purpose. They were simply fouling off a pitch (because they were good enough), so they could work the count a bit more in hopes of the pitcher making a mistake with his next pitch

I agree. There are good hitters who when the are in the hole or have a full count, will shorten their swing and intentionally make an effort to foul off borderline pitches in hopes of either getting a more hittable pitch or a walk. It's been happening since the dawn of baseball. They don't decide before the pitch is thrown, but once they see it's a pitch they don't like, yet too close to take, they will use a defensive swing to try to stay alive and fight the pitch off to hopefully get a more favorable pitch. Some hitters are better than others at this, and some don't even purposely attempt it, but it certainly does happen, and it's intentional with many good hitters.

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #54
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. one thing that sets major leaguers apart from all other levels, even AAA, is the ability to keep fouling off pitches they can't handle. You might even go as far to say they have this ability to tire out a pitcher. That might be a little too much, but I know for a fact there are plenty of major league ball players who have the ability to foul off borderline pitches they know they rather not put in play.
It is actually to see more pitches. That is what you want to do see all the pitches that pitcher has.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #55
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Lets simmer down a bit. No more accusing people of having an agenda.

Keep the criticism constructive.

Leave the fanboyism at the door.

Only warning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is actually to see more pitches. That is what you want to do see all the pitches that pitcher has.
Yes I am talking about batters fouling off pitches they can't handle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »