Home

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #145
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: CPU vs CPU

Good stuff Stevie, to each their own I guess. Personally I'm keeping Power and Solid Hits at 4 each. I have done all combos regarding those and 4-4 is right on the money FOR ME as you can see in the stats HR & 2B produced great results

Last edited by tgreer; 03-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #146
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreer
Good stuff Stevie, to each their own I guess. Personally I'm keeping Power and Solid Hits at 4 each. I have done all combos regarding those and 4-4 is right on the money FOR ME as you can see in the stats HR & 2B produced great results
I agree and I am glad you are sticking with your own. When we all have generated a decent sample size we'll compare notes. Your work gave us the direction and we are thankful!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #147
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviegolfballs
In some EARLY testing we discovered the following:
1. reducing the foul ball frequency increases hits
2. you can reduce fielder speed to allow for more XBH
3. adjusting runner speed compensates for slower fielders
4. strike frequency reduction will produce walks without having to lower pitcher consistency
Good findings. 2 - 4 makes sense. Not sure about 1, I'm curious. Just for this part of impression, roughly how many game you've done for that part?

I haven't done much experiment with the foul frequency slider, but one thing I know (pretty much for sure) is that lowering it increase swing & miss. I'm not sure if it increased/decreased hits, as I was varying other sliders as well so I wasn't just testing that particular slider.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #148
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Good findings. 2 - 4 makes sense. Not sure about 1, I'm curious. Just for this part of impression, roughly how many game you've done for that part?

I haven't done much experiment with the foul frequency slider, but one thing I know (pretty much for sure) is that lowering it increase swing & miss. I'm not sure if it increased/decreased hits, as I was varying other sliders as well so I wasn't just testing that particular slider.
This was something that we sort of found by accident when trying to get the pitches per plate appearance near the MLB avg. of about 3.8 per PA. In adjusting the foul frequency we noticed that when we raised it to a 7 we were indeed getting more foul balls but also decreasing hits. So when Tgreer came out with some thoughts about strike frequency, we used that in conjunction with our findings with the foul ball slider and it seems the two sort of oppose each other. We are still in the early testing stage with finding the right mix of the two but it seems there might be some room here. The two issues we were trying to solve were 1. a higher than normal HR total and 2. too many wild pitches. We feel that having both the power and solid hit sliders set to 4 produces too many home runs unless you compensate for that in other sliders. The problem there is that now you affect other aspects of the game such as XBH and walks when you attempt to lower the HR total. The wild pitches issue is still there although with our early findings, we feel that leaving the consistency level at 5 helps and keeps them at a level that is at least tollerable and may be able to be addressed later with "the E word"

I will keep you updated as our data comes in, right now we are testing and although encouraging, this is still in its early stages.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #149
MVP

OVR: 14

What about keeping Power and Solid Hits at Default but trying Contact at 3, and also bumping up Fouls a notch or two to either 6 or 7 to help compensate?

That's what I've been doing and liking the results.

Instead of concentrating on the "obvious" sliders like Power and Solid Hits, if you decrease the CPU/Player's plate coverage and overall hitting ability, it seems to tone down the #8 and #9 hitters coming to the plate and popping opposite field looping homeruns.

I did notice a few more whiffs originally, but them combatted it with increasing fouls. That way you still decrease their super ability at the plate, but allow them to chip away some fouls without swinging and missing so much.

I have still been seeing between 8 and 11 base hits per game, and the doubles still happen with the Fielder Speed at 0 (which doesn't cripple the fast fielders at all).

Right now I'm at:

Contact 3
Fouls 7
Control 4
Consistency 3
CPU K Freq. 2
Fielder Speed 0
Fielder Arm 4

Everything else is at Default still.

Last edited by ParisB; 03-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #150
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Currently this is where I'm at:

Had some great games, some blowouts, some high scoring games and low scoring games. The variation in the scoring is there, which is what I'm after.

To give you an idea I had Boston crush Seattle 15-7 in Fenway followed by the Astros beating the Cubs 1-0 at Wrigley. I've seen upto 25 hits per game and in one game between the White Sox and Indians saw each team only give up 1 hit in 9 inns, before the Sox won it in 12.

As we've said we are all pretty close and it's a personal preference with regard to the numbers game and what each of us is comfortable with.

So, sliders (all default if not named)

Power 4
Timing 4
Solid Hits 3
Starter Stamina 6
Pitch Speed 10
Fielding Errors 6
Steal Freq 7

All games played at All Star within a franchise.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #151
Rookie

Something for all you testers to consider.....In our latest round of testing we paid attention to stadium size as a factor in HR's and XBH allowed. Through 28 games (seven in each stadium) we are noticing a significant trend toward HR's. We are currently testing games in Yankee Stadium, Comerica Park, Turner Field and Petco in San Diego. Of course teams and players have much effect on these totals but they are producing exactly what you would expect:

NY - 7 games, 21 HR's (Yankees v. Red Sox)
DET - 7 games, 13 HR's (Tigers v. Twins)
ATL - 7 games, 11 HR's (Braves v. Giants)
SD - 7 games, 9 HR's (Padres v. Dodgers)

A small sample to be sure but certainly what you would expect from the three "pitchers parks".

After 10 games in each park we will be changing to four different parks and all new teams to continue our slider test but we found this interesting and wanted to share with the group.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #152
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiYoung
Yep these stats are using the Power at 4, SH at 5, PC at 1 sliders I posted a couple of days ago.

The WP are troubling me. When watching a game and men get on base I'm almost waiting for the WP. There's been at least two walk off wild pitches so far. Takes away from the realism somewhat. I was thinking of upping every catcher to 100 blocking just to see how much difference that would make.
If you get a sec, I'm itching for an update Dai.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »