Home

Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

This is a discussion on Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside). within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #113
Pro

blueduke's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Actually if you read what I wrote, he himself wrote that 2k was more for him in his youtube comments. I simply said he was probably right.

Here was his comment.

As far as the troof chaser stuff, imo, given his youtube vids and comments, that's the direction he was shooting for. People seem to think that leads to internet fame.
You're missing my point and I probably didn't make it more clearer and for that I apologize. That being said you're a moderator here, correct? You are one of the faces of OS. What you say has clout. Even if the guy is a "troofer" wouldn't it be more kosher to use a velvet glove instead of a pair of brass knuckles?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #114
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduke
You're missing my point and I probably didn't make it more clearer and for that I apologize. That being said you're a moderator here, correct? You are one of the faces of OS. What you say has clout. Even if the guy is a "troofer" wouldn't it be more kosher to use a velvet glove instead of a pair of brass knuckles?
I haven't been a moderator here for years. For that exact reason. I want to be able to say what I want to say, nor do I want my posts to have more clout as you put it.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #115
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

I just played two games on All-Star

Created Joe Random, here's how I did against him:

0.2 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 0 K

Faced Tim Lincecum, here's how he did:

7.1 IP, 4 H, ER, 3 BB, 9 K

Yeah ratings don't matter...I guess some of us are just annoyed when posters like this make wild claims after their first slump when we've seen the same thing year after year. I didn't insult the guy once, nor did I read anyone insulting him. But if you post something stupid, you're kind of putting yourself out there anyway. Just my opinion. I don't think this guy did near enough research to be taken seriously, so I'm not taking him seriously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #116
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
I think rookie is meant for exactly those types of people. Play on rookie, switch to legend and notice how different the CPU pitches. My first game on legend, they were going curveball down, fastball up, and I was chasing everything. After a while, you just realize how better the pitching is on Legend.
I thought the difference between rookie and legend were things like pitch location, their ability to bury the ball in to the black and the hitters cold zone. As well as making things like timing window, PCI, etc on the hitter side more forgiving.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #117
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
So basically missing in the strike zone is what you are talking about. That's the way I see it as well, but I think it's about right. To me pitchers with control issue are guys who try to spot a pitch and then miss in the strike zone. For example how many times have we seen a pitcher try to get that inside fastball, only to get too much plate and have it hammered.

I wonder for missed locations IRL, what the numbers are for pitches missed out of the strike zone and ones that are in. impossible to quantify probably.

but for me the ratio of missed pitches that miss in the strike zone as compared to those that miss outside the strikezone seems about right, both as a pitcher and as the CPU is pitching. But I have no factual backing on that. That's simply opinion.
Question is, how do we know where the CPU AI intended to throw the pitch in the first place? If the CPU places a perfectly placed fastball on the outside corner in a 2-0 count do we really know that's where he intended on placing it?

From my experience in college, it really depends on the pitcher. From watching MLB games, I would say that it's very rare a pitcher hits his spot all day, extremely rare. As you said, it's impossible to know for sure.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #118
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Question is, how do we know where the CPU AI intended to throw the pitch in the first place? If the CPU places a perfectly placed fastball on the outside corner in a 2-0 count do we really know that's where he intended on placing it?
That's the question right there. I have no idea what the answer is.

I know that when I am pitching (classic) that when I miss, it's a mix of pitches in the strikezone and out of the strikezone. I assume that the CPU results are similar. Big assumption yes I know.

Bottomline to this whole thread. the notion ratings to matter is quite simply false.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #119
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
I thought the difference between rookie and legend were things like pitch location, their ability to bury the ball in to the black and the hitters cold zone. As well as making things like timing window, PCI, etc on the hitter side more forgiving.
Here's what I think is different about Legend, on the CPU pitching part/user hitting.

First off, they mix up speeds more, and locate on the black better like you said. I'm not sure if hitters hot/cold zones get changed at all. I know pitch velocity is faster on HOF and Legend than it is on AS and below. PCI definitely takes a hit, it's much harder to hit good pitches. I just noticed how smart the computer is on Legend. However, it's very hard to hit if the CPU pitcher gets into a groove, much like in real life.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #120
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Here's what I think is different about Legend, on the CPU pitching part/user hitting.

First off, they mix up speeds more, and locate on the black better like you said. I'm not sure if hitters hot/cold zones get changed at all. I know pitch velocity is faster on HOF and Legend than it is on AS and below. PCI definitely takes a hit, it's much harder to hit good pitches. I just noticed how smart the computer is on Legend. However, it's very hard to hit if the CPU pitcher gets into a groove, much like in real life.
Makes sense. I mostly hit on AS as it provides plenty of challenge for me. Their ability to change speeds, much like real life for me, is my weakness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »